Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>State Vouchers in TN
AmericanHoney 04:51 PM 01-21-2015
I have a potential client asking if I take State Vouchers. I am not licensed and just run a small daycare. No food programs etc. 4 kiddos Max! I told her I didn't think I could take state vouchers, since I am not certified. She said, the lady actually I just have to talk to the childcare director (I'm guessing at DHS) and tell her if I am interested. Does anyone know anything about State Vouchers in Tennessee? Also what are the pros and cons in taking them? I am not planning to get certified until we buy a home with a separate area for the daycare.

Any help on this would be awesome!
Annalee 06:40 PM 01-21-2015
Originally Posted by AmericanHoney:
I have a potential client asking if I take State Vouchers. I am not licensed and just run a small daycare. No food programs etc. 4 kiddos Max! I told her I didn't think I could take state vouchers, since I am not certified. She said, the lady actually I just have to talk to the childcare director (I'm guessing at DHS) and tell her if I am interested. Does anyone know anything about State Vouchers in Tennessee? Also what are the pros and cons in taking them? I am not planning to get certified until we buy a home with a separate area for the daycare.

Any help on this would be awesome!
I think any child care provider can receive state assistance for child care, licensed or not, but there is a significant decrease in pay for unlicensed programs because the pay rate is based on the State of TN report card which all licensed providers receive annually. I am a licensed Group Child Care Home in TN.
LysesKids 03:40 AM 01-22-2015
As another licensed exempt provider in TN, there is a major difference in pay. LE gets at least 1/3 less than licensed providers AND each county is considered either in the top 20 (Knox, Blount and similar which gets the higher rate), or you live in one of the other counties that gives lower rate. I live in Blount and the max they pay is 70 for FT, 35 part... because I work with babies under 24 months only, PT is considered 1-19 hrs week... 20 or more is full time

I stopped offering to take subsidy because parents on Families First were't always following thru on their end. The person asking you to accept the voucher has to get your full name, SS#, address etc and turn it in to their worker, DHS will then contact you asking to inspect your home etc... I called DHS when i first moved here and it's up to the parent needing voucher to get the ball rolling if you are a License exempt provider. They also don't always understand that you, the provider, might charge more for care each week than what the voucher will pay & that they can be asked to pay the difference, in addition to what the state pays you. They also have to work a set # of hrs/be in school (FT only at moment if I remember correctly).

As a License exempt WE CAN also be on the Food program... they will inspect you (4 times year); only one will be announced lol. If you have 4 in care might be worth it... I was running with 2 for months and one family fought me on paperwork and other stuff so I dropped it.
AmericanHoney 06:11 AM 01-22-2015
Thank you for this info. There are a lot of red flags with this potential client, asking to pay on a different day, 2 days past due date every month, when they came over to meet they had a really bad odor and were filthy. I'm worried about reliability. I think I am just going to pass them, and move on. Going with my gut on this one. Thanks again ladies!
LysesKids 07:44 AM 01-22-2015
Originally Posted by AmericanHoney:
Thank you for this info. There are a lot of red flags with this potential client, asking to pay on a different day, 2 days past due date every month, when they came over to meet they had a really bad odor and were filthy. I'm worried about reliability. I think I am just going to pass them, and move on. Going with my gut on this one. Thanks again ladies!
I always get paid in advance as do many of us... No pay, no play lol.
When a parents asks Why do I have to pay upfront? I say I require advance payment for two reasons:

1) To protect myself from families who choose to terminate service without notice and not pay for childcare already given (it happens more than you think).
2) To buy supplies needed for the childcare (food and other care related expenses that are needed upfront).
Reply Up