Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-10-2014, 08:57 AM
drseuss's Avatar
drseuss drseuss is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 272
Default Licensing Rules: Where Does Your State Fall?

In reading a few of the discussions on this board, it is clear that licensing rules vary a lot across the country.

I am curious to know how other providers feel that their state licensing regulations fall, relatively, on a scale from loose to stringent. Are there states that are known for loose or stringent regulations?

My state (WI) seems to be more stringent, but I'm not sure where we fall in the grand scheme of things. In one of the discussions here, a few weeks ago, someone had mentioned that the federal government is trying to phase out family child care, and the more I think about it, the more I tend to believe it. I would not be surprised to find out that was the plan, at least. By driving all the licensed providers clinically insane with red tape they will achieve the goal. Some of the things they ask for, I'm not sure how they can even ask with a straight face. A bird flew over the patio and pooped on it! Non-compliance statement and plan of action needed ASAP! Just a little sarcasm there...

I am a big rule follower. I could rattle off the statutes on any topic you asked me to. But I do feel a lot of frustration, because I am so busy following all the rules to the letter, that I don't feel like I get to spend as much time doing what I really want to do with the children. Just so much micromanaging to do. I miss the days when we could dot the i and cross the t once instead of three times just to be sure. It would be nice to have an assistant, but financially it is just not feasible. I might as well not work at all.

Do any of you happen to have a daily/weekly/monthly checklist-type system that you use to streamline your days to ensure you are covering all of the rules?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-10-2014, 09:03 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,555
Default

Are you looking for this type of info?

Ranking of State Standards and Oversight of Small Family Child Care Homes

"Child Care AwareŽ of America assessed state policies for small family child care homes, where up to six children are cared for in the home of the provider for compensation.

The maximum number of points a state could receive is 150.

Sixteen states scored zero.

Of the states that scored points, the average score was 69, which equates to 46 percent - a failing grade in any classroom.

Family child care in the United States is characterized by weak state inspection standards, incomplete background checks, weak training requirements, weak early learning standards and weak basic health and safety standards."


Here is the link so you can read the full report yourself.
There is also a complete state ranking so you can see where each state falls. There is also an individual page for each state listing the areas they scored high in and the areas that are in need of repair or better assessment.

http://www.naccrra.org/about-child-c...ild-care-homes

This is a subject that interests me greatly so any other info you are in need of, just let me know...I might already have it collected and saved.

HTH
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-10-2014, 09:08 AM
drseuss's Avatar
drseuss drseuss is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 272
Default

Wow, that is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for! Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-10-2014, 09:14 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drseuss View Post
Wow, that is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for! Thank you!
You are welcome!

My state (MN) sends out reports for ALL licensed facilities that receive correction orders or licensing violations and/or negative action orders.

I read daily the number of providers who violate the same rule over and over and there is often little or no recourse. ALL of which makes me sick.

For example, this week alone I've read about 14 different providers/centers that were cited (and some fined) for violation of safe sleep practices. The biggest fine is $100 REGARDLESS it seems of whether it's the 1st or 15th time the provider has been cited before.

It makes me mad to see that so many states have failed in this capacity as well as in meeting the requirements they themselves put in place.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-10-2014, 10:25 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
You are welcome!

My state (MN) sends out reports for ALL licensed facilities that receive correction orders or licensing violations and/or negative action orders.

I read daily the number of providers who violate the same rule over and over and there is often little or no recourse. ALL of which makes me sick.

For example, this week alone I've read about 14 different providers/centers that were cited (and some fined) for violation of safe sleep practices. The biggest fine is $100 REGARDLESS it seems of whether it's the 1st or 15th time the provider has been cited before.

It makes me mad to see that so many states have failed in this capacity as well as in meeting the requirements they themselves put in place.
Thanks BC for the website with the info you listed in previous post. I have viewed much documentation of FCC but not this. In my state the violations are not listed yet, but providers received word they plan to be in the near future. The problem I see with the whole STATE system is inconsistencies between program evaluators along with other organization like CCR&R, QRIS due to inconsistencies. Many providers absolutely DO NOT know what is expected from them. I noticed on the site you listed for my state there should be materials from 8 domains of learning for children.....THIS IS NOT HAPPENING HERE so who is responsible? This is just one listed item but there are other requirements on there that licensing nor anyone else touches. It depends on what side of the bed they got up on...if they like the provider or not.....if they want to take the trouble to write-them-up. It is frustrating! Another shame is, many providers just go underground and keep the same amount of kids I do...not taxes, not bs license, etc. The SYSTEM is MESSED UP to say it nicely!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-10-2014, 11:00 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
Thanks BC for the website with the info you listed in previous post. I have viewed much documentation of FCC but not this. In my state the violations are not listed yet, but providers received word they plan to be in the near future. The problem I see with the whole STATE system is inconsistencies between program evaluators along with other organization like CCR&R, QRIS due to inconsistencies. Many providers absolutely DO NOT know what is expected from them. I noticed on the site you listed for my state there should be materials from 8 domains of learning for children.....THIS IS NOT HAPPENING HERE so who is responsible? This is just one listed item but there are other requirements on there that licensing nor anyone else touches. It depends on what side of the bed they got up on...if they like the provider or not.....if they want to take the trouble to write-them-up. It is frustrating! Another shame is, many providers just go underground and keep the same amount of kids I do...not taxes, not bs license, etc. The SYSTEM is MESSED UP to say it nicely!!!!!
Yes, there really needs to be a better system of checks and balances.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
You are welcome!

My state (MN) sends out reports for ALL licensed facilities that receive correction orders or licensing violations and/or negative action orders.

I read daily the number of providers who violate the same rule over and over and there is often little or no recourse. ALL of which makes me sick.

For example, this week alone I've read about 14 different providers/centers that were cited (and some fined) for violation of safe sleep practices. The biggest fine is $100 REGARDLESS it seems of whether it's the 1st or 15th time the provider has been cited before.

It makes me mad to see that so many states have failed in this capacity as well as in meeting the requirements they themselves put in place.
so...another example of why I hate "quality improvement initiatives" which, to my knowledge CHILDCARE AWARE pushed in the first place. They don't enforce the regulations already in place nearly enough, but add MORE "suggestions" instead. I just DO NOT GET IT!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
so...another example of why I hate "quality improvement initiatives" which, to my knowledge CHILDCARE AWARE pushed in the first place. They don't enforce the regulations already in place nearly enough, but add MORE "suggestions" instead. I just DO NOT GET IT!
AMEN, AMEN and AMEN!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
Thanks BC for the website with the info you listed in previous post. I have viewed much documentation of FCC but not this. In my state the violations are not listed yet, but providers received word they plan to be in the near future. The problem I see with the whole STATE system is inconsistencies between program evaluators along with other organization like CCR&R, QRIS due to inconsistencies. Many providers absolutely DO NOT know what is expected from them. I noticed on the site you listed for my state there should be materials from 8 domains of learning for children.....THIS IS NOT HAPPENING HERE so who is responsible? This is just one listed item but there are other requirements on there that licensing nor anyone else touches. It depends on what side of the bed they got up on...if they like the provider or not.....if they want to take the trouble to write-them-up. It is frustrating! Another shame is, many providers just go underground and keep the same amount of kids I do...not taxes, not bs license, etc. The SYSTEM is MESSED UP to say it nicely!!!!!
In WI, it's probably more consistent than most. In fact, the licensers have been told to make NO exceptions, ever. They really can't look the other way, even for minor issues taken care of in their presence. For instance, if an outlet plug is out, but laying right there (maybe provider has school agers who forget). Even if the provider notices it and fixes it right away, the licenser must cite.

Honestly, I don't care that much, because our state's website lists the citation, but also the details and the provider's correction plan. So, at least if parents look, they can see how minor (or not) the violation is.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
In WI, it's probably more consistent than most. In fact, the licensers have been told to make NO exceptions, ever. They really can't look the other way, even for minor issues taken care of in their presence. For instance, if an outlet plug is out, but laying right there (maybe provider has school agers who forget). Even if the provider notices it and fixes it right away, the licenser must cite.

Honestly, I don't care that much, because our state's website lists the citation, but also the details and the provider's correction plan. So, at least if parents look, they can see how minor (or not) the violation is.
Licensing was told "no exceptions" here too but it still seems they pick and choose.......
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-10-2014, 11:44 AM
NoMoreJuice!'s Avatar
NoMoreJuice! NoMoreJuice! is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: KS
Posts: 715
Default Ks

I've owned a licensed daycare in two different counties in KS, and I've found that not only do regulations vary greatly from state to state, but the state regulations' interpretations by the surveyors vary greatly from county to county! I don't think any of KS regs are unnecessary, and I don't find them to be unreasonably hard to follow. They're pretty tough on not spreading germs: washing hands when kids arrive in the morning, before/after every meal, after every toileting/diaper changing, after being outside, and after handling pets... so about 20 times a day. But the surveyors really make the difference. I used to have one that was a NAZI and I swear made up her own rules...I would have to call Topeka and clarify them with her supervisor it got so ridiculous. But here in KC area, I LOVE my surveyors, and I know they are on my team.

Anyway, to sum up: I think KS has great regs that are for the safety and well being of the kids, and I don't think I'd change any of them. If you'd like to see a copy: http://www.kdheks.gov/bcclr/regs/day...care_regs.html
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-10-2014, 11:54 AM
lucky's Avatar
lucky lucky is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
You are welcome!

My state (MN) sends out reports for ALL licensed facilities that receive correction orders or licensing violations and/or negative action orders.

I read daily the number of providers who violate the same rule over and over and there is often little or no recourse. ALL of which makes me sick.

For example, this week alone I've read about 14 different providers/centers that were cited (and some fined) for violation of safe sleep practices. The biggest fine is $100 REGARDLESS it seems of whether it's the 1st or 15th time the provider has been cited before.

It makes me mad to see that so many states have failed in this capacity as well as in meeting the requirements they themselves put in place.
I'm in your state as well and I currently have 4 providers in my not very large city on conditional licenses because of capacity issues. If you read the conditional orders all of them have been reminded repeatedly for this. One of them was caring for 17 children alone at one point. I'm glad they are finally citing them but why has it been allowed to go on for so long first!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-10-2014, 11:59 AM
drseuss's Avatar
drseuss drseuss is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
In WI, it's probably more consistent than most. In fact, the licensers have been told to make NO exceptions, ever. They really can't look the other way, even for minor issues taken care of in their presence. For instance, if an outlet plug is out, but laying right there (maybe provider has school agers who forget). Even if the provider notices it and fixes it right away, the licenser must cite.

Honestly, I don't care that much, because our state's website lists the citation, but also the details and the provider's correction plan. So, at least if parents look, they can see how minor (or not) the violation is.
I think you must be correct that the inspectors here are not to make any exceptions. I do feel that they should be able to take things into account and use some common sense judgement in certain situations, though. Here is an example of something that I was cited for that I thought to be totally unnecessary. This is the kind of thing that I am talking about when I say 'they are going to drive the providers insane'. One of my dck's enrollment forms was cited as incomplete, because I did not have father's specific place of employment listed. DCD is a logger, so the form said self-employed logger at XYZ logz. As far as a location, he does not have anything specific to list. He is in the woods, and could be about anywhere at any given time. His cell phone number is listed, but the licensor wanted a specific physical place of employment. What the heck? You want GPS coordinates? Now I have a public record of non-compliance because of that. Those little things just bug me I guess. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, I realize. I just don't like having a non-compliance for something like that.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-10-2014, 12:02 PM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drseuss View Post
I think you must be correct that the inspectors here are not to make any exceptions. I do feel that they should be able to take things into account and use some common sense judgement in certain situations, though. Here is an example of something that I was cited for that I thought to be totally unnecessary. This is the kind of thing that I am talking about when I say 'they are going to drive the providers insane'. One of my dck's enrollment forms was cited as incomplete, because I did not have father's specific place of employment listed. DCD is a logger, so the form said self-employed logger at XYZ logz. As far as a location, he does not have anything specific to list. He is in the woods, and could be about anywhere at any given time. His cell phone number is listed, but the licensor wanted a specific physical place of employment. What the heck? You want GPS coordinates? Now I have a public record of non-compliance because of that. Those little things just bug me I guess. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, I realize. I just don't like having a non-compliance for something like that.
That's freakin' hilarious!

Seriously, I guess the only thing he could put was the headquarters address?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-10-2014, 12:13 PM
llpa's Avatar
llpa llpa is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 460
Default

PA scored 0 I am so not surprised I am a group home but rent a space for my dc. My licensor wrote me up because I didn't have a copy of my rules and regs in both my dc rooms ( even tho they are connected by an OPEN archway), but has never asked even ONE question about my program, how my schedule reflects my day, what I even have planned for the day etc. Nothing about the dcks at all ever!!! When she is here, it's an hour max.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-10-2014, 12:17 PM
craftymissbeth's Avatar
craftymissbeth craftymissbeth is offline
Legally Unlicensed
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice! View Post
I've owned a licensed daycare in two different counties in KS, and I've found that not only do regulations vary greatly from state to state, but the state regulations' interpretations by the surveyors vary greatly from county to county! I don't think any of KS regs are unnecessary, and I don't find them to be unreasonably hard to follow. They're pretty tough on not spreading germs: washing hands when kids arrive in the morning, before/after every meal, after every toileting/diaper changing, after being outside, and after handling pets... so about 20 times a day. But the surveyors really make the difference. I used to have one that was a NAZI and I swear made up her own rules...I would have to call Topeka and clarify them with her supervisor it got so ridiculous. But here in KC area, I LOVE my surveyors, and I know they are on my team.

Anyway, to sum up: I think KS has great regs that are for the safety and well being of the kids, and I don't think I'd change any of them. If you'd like to see a copy: http://www.kdheks.gov/bcclr/regs/day...care_regs.html

Just the difference in the two surveyors in my county is significant.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-10-2014, 12:19 PM
mema's Avatar
mema mema is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: It's hot, no cold, no hot :)
Posts: 1,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
You are welcome!

My state (MN) sends out reports for ALL licensed facilities that receive correction orders or licensing violations and/or negative action orders.

I read daily the number of providers who violate the same rule over and over and there is often little or no recourse. ALL of which makes me sick.

For example, this week alone I've read about 14 different providers/centers that were cited (and some fined) for violation of safe sleep practices. The biggest fine is $100 REGARDLESS it seems of whether it's the 1st or 15th time the provider has been cited before.

It makes me mad to see that so many states have failed in this capacity as well as in meeting the requirements they themselves put in place.
Isn't it $200 for safe sleep? Not that it makes that much difference. There was a provider in my area that received a $200 fine for not having a sheet on a pnp even tho there was no baby in care that day-only preschoolers. Another got one for taking off the sheet and putting it in the wash and not replacing instantly (baby got sick-was taking care of her and getting her out the door when licensing showed for annual visit).

I think there definitely needs to be lots of things changed. Hearing things that happen on one side of the state vs the other and are completely different. Licensors view the rules different. Even within the county. Ours don't always agree, interpret or enforce the same.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-10-2014, 12:20 PM
spinnymarie's Avatar
spinnymarie spinnymarie is offline
mac n peas
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drseuss View Post
In one of the discussions here, a few weeks ago, someone had mentioned that the federal government is trying to phase out family child care, and the more I think about it, the more I tend to believe it. I would not be surprised to find out that was the plan, at least. By driving all the licensed providers clinically insane with red tape they will achieve the goal.
If that's the case, then I think the country in general is trying to phase out all of education I've found that the amount of red tape for HDC is no different than the red tape I had to endure as a public school teacher - it's just slightly different things and there is no one else helping me out!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-10-2014, 12:21 PM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llpa View Post
PA scored 0 I am so not surprised I am a group home but rent a space for my dc. My licensor wrote me up because I didn't have a copy of my rules and regs in both my dc rooms ( even tho they are connected by an OPEN archway), but has never asked even ONE question about my program, how my schedule reflects my day, what I even have planned for the day etc. Nothing about the dcks at all ever!!! When she is here, it's an hour max.
I hear ya! funny thing is providers can make anything on paper look good for licensing, but if licensing would check the things you mentioned about actual program set-up for the children, we would NOT have needed this UNREALISTIC QRIS SYSTEM!

Last edited by Annalee; 04-10-2014 at 12:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-10-2014, 12:24 PM
llpa's Avatar
llpa llpa is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
I hear ya! funny thing is providers can make anything on paper look good for licensing, but if licensing would check the things you mentioned about actual program set-up for the children, we would NOT have needed this UNREALISTIC QRIS SYSTEM!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-10-2014, 12:45 PM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
I hear ya! funny thing is providers can make anything on paper look good for licensing, but if licensing would check the things you mentioned about actual program set-up for the children, we would NOT have needed this UNREALISTIC QRIS SYSTEM!


Honestly, for even a quarter of that money, they could have hired a lot more licensers, right?

Oh, and if they need more money, FINE people who are running illegally or have multiple serious non-compliances. Not $100 or $200 dollars for safe-sleep, though. I'd make that one a big fine!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'm not to certain what's up with replying to this thread it shows I'm unregistered to post even though when I read only I am signed in. Plus no posting aids available. ?????

"Oh, and if they need more money, FINE people who are running illegally or have multiple serious non-compliances. Not $100 or $200 dollars for safe-sleep, though. I'd make that one a big fine!"

I wish they'd shut them down!

I'm in MI and read on BC's report that we would have been in the top five but because they don't inspect pre opening we got a zero. We are inspected within 90 days and before the license is issued.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-10-2014, 01:19 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mema View Post
Isn't it $200 for safe sleep? Not that it makes that much difference. There was a provider in my area that received a $200 fine for not having a sheet on a pnp even tho there was no baby in care that day-only preschoolers. Another got one for taking off the sheet and putting it in the wash and not replacing instantly (baby got sick-was taking care of her and getting her out the door when licensing showed for annual visit).

I think there definitely needs to be lots of things changed. Hearing things that happen on one side of the state vs the other and are completely different. Licensors view the rules different. Even within the county. Ours don't always agree, interpret or enforce the same.
Yes, you are right... I see I wrote $100... My bad. It is $200 but the fine does not increase for repeated occurrences... so what is the point??

I've read a couple reports where the provider has so many violations that the report is several pages but the provider is still allowed to operate.

I think there needs to be a better system of consequences for repeat offenders....you know so there really aren't so many repeat offenders.. I don't understand why that is rocket science for some???
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-10-2014, 01:22 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drseuss View Post
I think you must be correct that the inspectors here are not to make any exceptions. I do feel that they should be able to take things into account and use some common sense judgement in certain situations, though. Here is an example of something that I was cited for that I thought to be totally unnecessary. This is the kind of thing that I am talking about when I say 'they are going to drive the providers insane'. One of my dck's enrollment forms was cited as incomplete, because I did not have father's specific place of employment listed. DCD is a logger, so the form said self-employed logger at XYZ logz. As far as a location, he does not have anything specific to list. He is in the woods, and could be about anywhere at any given time. His cell phone number is listed, but the licensor wanted a specific physical place of employment. What the heck? You want GPS coordinates? Now I have a public record of non-compliance because of that. Those little things just bug me I guess. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, I realize. I just don't like having a non-compliance for something like that.
OMG!! Are you serious????

That is absolutely ridiculous and absolutely asinine!!

Next time, you just write down the VIN number of his logging truck... Good grief! That is probably one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read about a provider being cited.

there are NOT enough eye rolls to convey my true feelings.... *sigh*
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-10-2014, 01:24 PM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Yes, you are right... I see I wrote $100... My bad. It is $200 but the fine does not increase for repeated occurrences... so what is the point??

I've read a couple reports where the provider has so many violations that the report is several pages but the provider is still allowed to operate.

I think there needs to be a better system of consequences for repeat offenders....you know so there really aren't so many repeat offenders.. I don't understand why that is rocket science for some???
Wow...I was reading some of the suggestions, and they seem a bit over the top. I know other states (CA?) require licensing for more than one unrelated family, but seriously! How on earth would they ever enforce THAT when they can't enforce illegals with 12 or 15?

Again...make the regulations a bit more realistic, and ENFORCE them! I wonder why it's rocket science for the state?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-10-2014, 01:32 PM
drseuss's Avatar
drseuss drseuss is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 272
Default

Yep, that's what I'm talking about. Like I said, I'm a rule follower and my licensor always tells me how easy I make her job. Are they supposed to find something to cite providers on when they can't really find anything? KWIM?

Another example: my mom stopped over on her way home to drop eggs off for me. Licensor was here conducting a visit. Mom left her car running, popped in and set the eggs down, her dog ran in and out of the house, and she was gone. That day I got cited because I do not have my mom's dog's rabies vaccination on file. Online, the violation reads that provider does not have rabies vaccination on file for Fido. COME ON!! No pun intended, but throw me a bone.

FTR, I do like my licensor. She is professional and has always been very positive, encouraging, and complementary toward me. These little things though...
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-10-2014, 01:37 PM
drseuss's Avatar
drseuss drseuss is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
OMG!! Are you serious????

That is absolutely ridiculous and absolutely asinine!!

Next time, you just write down the VIN number of his logging truck... Good grief! That is probably one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read about a provider being cited.

there are NOT enough eye rolls to convey my true feelings.... *sigh*
Or I could have DCD get a microchip in his rear.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-10-2014, 01:39 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,555
Default

Wonder if that would be tax deductible?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-10-2014, 01:43 PM
TwinKristi's Avatar
TwinKristi TwinKristi is offline
Family Childcare Provider
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: California
Posts: 2,389
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
Wow...I was reading some of the suggestions, and they seem a bit over the top. I know other states (CA?) require licensing for more than one unrelated family, but seriously! How on earth would they ever enforce THAT when they can't enforce illegals with 12 or 15?

Again...make the regulations a bit more realistic, and ENFORCE them! I wonder why it's rocket science for the state?
This is a very silly thing and I agree, how can they possibly enforce this? I know several SAHMs who watch kids, more than 1, and think nothing of posting ads on Facebook, CL, etc. One of my DCMs left to be a SAHM and now watches other people's kids, under the table at that, and asks me for advice! LOL I tried to get her to do it legit and join the food program and that's when she told me she didn't want there to be any "paper trails" for her. But people always getting away with this. I actually have a suspicion that a provider nearby doesn't actually have her license or something, because she knows she's supposed to advertise WITH her number by law, but never does. She's had quite a few infractions over the years (serious things like a DWI accident, leaving medications/cleaners accessible to children and minor things like not having updated records, not having earthquake drills logged, etc.) but hasn't even been inspected in almost 5yrs, since Oct 2009 I believe.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-10-2014, 01:53 PM
blandino's Avatar
blandino blandino is offline
Daycare.com member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tulsa area
Posts: 1,508
Default

No surprise to me that my state, OK, got a 120. The only negatives were for provider training hours and no fingerprinting. The fingerprinting has been remedied as of last Nov.

I know this opinion will resonate with you all. This high number doesn't equal quality childcare in OK. OKDHS follows the letter of the law without paying attention to the spirit of the law. I know legally the have to be precise, but all these rules and regs have not created a idillic childcare environment in OK.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-10-2014, 02:15 PM
mema's Avatar
mema mema is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: It's hot, no cold, no hot :)
Posts: 1,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Yes, you are right... I see I wrote $100... My bad. It is $200 but the fine does not increase for repeated occurrences... so what is the point??

I've read a couple reports where the provider has so many violations that the report is several pages but the provider is still allowed to operate.

I think there needs to be a better system of consequences for repeat offenders....you know so there really aren't so many repeat offenders.. I don't understand why that is rocket science for some???
Oh good (well not good, but I thought maybe there was another stinkin inconsistency). I totally agree there needs to be a better system. I don't think we will ever see it tho. FCC will be obselete by the point they get it together.

There is a lady here that is under temp immediate suspension. This happened in Dec 2012. It says under appeal. Not sure what happened, but really curious. I have heard that she has since moved to a different town and is doing care again. I could not find her on DHS, so I am assuming unlicensed, but not sure if it is legal.

There are definitely too many with too many violations and usually they are the same stinkin one everytime. I guess not everyone learns from their mistakes
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mema View Post
Oh good (well not good, but I thought maybe there was another stinkin inconsistency). I totally agree there needs to be a better system. I don't think we will ever see it tho. FCC will be obselete by the point they get it together.

There is a lady here that is under temp immediate suspension. This happened in Dec 2012. It says under appeal. Not sure what happened, but really curious. I have heard that she has since moved to a different town and is doing care again. I could not find her on DHS, so I am assuming unlicensed, but not sure if it is legal.

There are definitely too many with too many violations and usually they are the same stinkin one everytime. I guess not everyone learns from their mistakes
Yeah it specifically says "You are also prohibited from operating as a legally unlicensed child care provider unless and until such time as this order is reversed upon appeal. " when you get an immediate suspension of your license.

Is she still listed on the DHS website? Usually you can click her name and see the violations and what they say.

I signed up for e-mail notices from DHS so every day I get atleast 2-4 e-mails listing the violation in every county in the state. It's sad really. If parents actually looked at those lists, I think some of those ladies would be out of business.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-10-2014, 02:31 PM
Mom2TLE's Avatar
Mom2TLE Mom2TLE is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 113
Default

Idaho got a 0. I'm not surprised you guys always talk about your pages of regs. Idaho has 1page front and back. When they first started qris we were ranked clear at the bottom like 49th I believe. A few laws have changed since then, we were able to be certified and have up to 12 kids. Now it is 6 @ 7 you have to be licensed and a background check for 3 or more. My inspector is also the health dept food/ restaurant inspector. She comes by once a year for those who are accepting state paid and 2 yrs for licensing. When they were trying to get the laws changed 5 years ago some of our lawmaker suggested moms not work and stay home with their children. Change is slow but it is changing. Here,'s an article about it.
http://m.spokesman.com/stories/2011/...ay-care-rules/
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-10-2014, 02:39 PM
mema's Avatar
mema mema is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: It's hot, no cold, no hot :)
Posts: 1,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Yeah it specifically says "You are also prohibited from operating as a legally unlicensed child care provider unless and until such time as this order is reversed upon appeal. " when you get an immediate suspension of your license.

Is she still listed on the DHS website? Usually you can click her name and see the violations and what they say.

I signed up for e-mail notices from DHS so every day I get atleast 2-4 e-mails listing the violation in every county in the state. It's sad really. If parents actually looked at those lists, I think some of those ladies would be out of business.
She is still on the website (for our town, not the one she moved too). It says it is being investigated by community services and the police department. Because it is under investigation, it is unable to be released in the letter. If you look at her FB page (I know, stalker), it says she is a preschooler teacher at such and such daycare. I know a family that went to hers before she was closed down, but no longer talk with them. When it happened, the family called me looking for care, but didn't know what all happened.

I get the DHS emails also. Sometimes I read thru them and sometimes it bugs me too much.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-10-2014, 03:59 PM
Crazy8's Avatar
Crazy8 Crazy8 is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 2,769
Default

well personally I feel NJ is very lenient, doesn't over-regulate much at all like some of the things I read here. But looking at that link we automatically score a zero because we are allowed to be unlicensed.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-11-2014, 08:38 AM
LadyK8's Avatar
LadyK8 LadyK8 is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delaware
Posts: 183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Are you looking for this type of info?

Ranking of State Standards and Oversight of Small Family Child Care Homes

"Child Care AwareŽ of America assessed state policies for small family child care homes, where up to six children are cared for in the home of the provider for compensation.

The maximum number of points a state could receive is 150.

Sixteen states scored zero.

Of the states that scored points, the average score was 69, which equates to 46 percent - a failing grade in any classroom.

Family child care in the United States is characterized by weak state inspection standards, incomplete background checks, weak training requirements, weak early learning standards and weak basic health and safety standards."


Here is the link so you can read the full report yourself.
There is also a complete state ranking so you can see where each state falls. There is also an individual page for each state listing the areas they scored high in and the areas that are in need of repair or better assessment.

http://www.naccrra.org/about-child-c...ild-care-homes

This is a subject that interests me greatly so any other info you are in need of, just let me know...I might already have it collected and saved.

HTH
Nice! My state scored really well. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-11-2014, 01:40 PM
melilley's Avatar
melilley melilley is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,018
Default

My state scored a big fat 0. It says because you can get your license before they do an inspection (for family homes). I always thought that that was strange.

I do think that compared to other states, MI is very lax in their regulations. Here, only 10% of fcc's get inspected before the 3 year renewal date for your registration/license and they do it by doing a lotto! And I've heard that it takes forever for any licensing consultant to investigate anything as far as fcc's go (mil used to work in a horrible fcc and called on the lady at least 3 times before they came out), but for centers, they are there right away.

Thanks for posting the link bc! Very interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-11-2014, 01:44 PM
melilley's Avatar
melilley melilley is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
Wow...I was reading some of the suggestions, and they seem a bit over the top. I know other states (CA?) require licensing for more than one unrelated family, but seriously! How on earth would they ever enforce THAT when they can't enforce illegals with 12 or 15?

Again...make the regulations a bit more realistic, and ENFORCE them! I wonder why it's rocket science for the state?
That's how it is here, you have to have a license/registration if you care for one or more unrelated children in your home, yet there are tons of ads just on cl for sahm's and grammys that advertise care in their homes. It's unbelievable, but unless my state (and others) have funding to investigate illegal dc's, they are always going to be around. Plus, I don't think we have any type of fine or consequence if you are caught operating illegally (I could be wrong) so why not?!

Man, it would be so easy to operate illegally and not have to abide by any regulations, without getting caught....I just couldn't do it though.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pennsylvania DPW Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 59 03-15-2018 08:46 AM
Ughh, I hate Being State Registered gbcc Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 12 12-18-2009 10:23 AM
State Inspection for New Facilities, Texas stimpson Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 0 06-07-2009 01:06 PM
Breach of Confidentiality by State Inspector NEDaycare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 11-16-2008 05:32 PM
Understanding Family Daycare Regulations Joni Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 03-12-2008 04:23 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:34 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming