Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Small Space
Unregistered 01:01 PM 08-07-2011
I need some help please. I am becomming discouraged with my home daycare because I just have no space. I have literally stressed and depressed myself this weekend trying to come up with a layout and I just can't do it. I have no room in my small home for a proper daycare layout. Everything thing is stacked high in 1 corner. Not kid friendly much. Just tall shelves in a corner. Any suggestions are welcome how to NEATLY fit items in basically 1 corner of a room and still be KID friendly.
Michael 02:24 PM 08-07-2011
Here are some threads that may be of help: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31288

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=layout
cheerfuldom 02:57 PM 08-07-2011
you could also post pictures of your space for opinions.
sharlan 03:15 PM 08-07-2011
Don't be discouraged. I provided daycare for over 20 years in a 1,000 sq ft house. I had a family of 4 when I started and a family of 7 when we moved. It can easily be done. You have to utilize every square foot.

Post some pics and others can give you ideas.
Crazy8 04:41 PM 08-07-2011
I agree, show us some pictures. I can't imagine everything fitting in one corner - so if that is your goal I'm not sure how you'd accomplish that. You can however get creative. I remember one pic (here I think) where they kept a few big bins under their coffee table and it helped turn the room back into an adult room in the evening.
CheekyChick 07:21 PM 08-07-2011
You need to make a decision... Is your house going to be your "home" or is your house going to be your business? If it's the latter, you can move out a great deal of your personal belogings (to the garage perhaps) which will give you more space to work with. I have a gorgeous bedroom set, dining room set, and living room furniture. They are all stored in my garage. I sleep on a twin bed in a room with cribs. I know it sounds pathetic, but my business (at this point in my life) comes before my comfort.

Lastly, if I walked into a daycare and it looked like the toys were shoved into a corner, I wouldn't get the feeling that the home was very welcoming (for children). But, that's only my opinion.
cheerfuldom 07:55 PM 08-07-2011
LittleDiamonds.....1000 sq. ft.? yikes! I did my daycare in 1400 sg ft home (with my two girls and husband) and I was ready to pull my hair out. we moved to a bigger home with the understanding that I would take more kids just to have the extra space. I hated having pack n plays in every room (including my own) and the play space in our dining room and living room.
Crazy8 08:02 PM 08-07-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
LittleDiamonds.....1000 sq. ft.? yikes! I did my daycare in 1400 sg ft home (with my two girls and husband) and I was ready to pull my hair out. we moved to a bigger home with the understanding that I would take more kids just to have the extra space. I hated having pack n plays in every room (including my own) and the play space in our dining room and living room.
hey, that wasn't me, that was Sharlan.

my daycare area is only 16'x12' though - so while my house may be about 3000 sq. ft. it doesn't feel like it in my daycare area, LOL!!! But I wouldn't sacrifice my living space for my daycare - sure I will dedicate some space but the rest of my house is just that - MY house - I couldn't live with it any other way.

But to the OP - I agree you need to decide how much space you will dedicate to your business, I'm not sure "a corner" is going to cut it.
Crystal 08:45 PM 08-07-2011
If you have no dedicated space for toys and materials, and don't have any available, you can incorporate your toys, activity materials, etc. into your existing home space. Buy some nice baskets (you can get them at thrift stores and garage sales cheaply) put them on tables and in corner spaces, you can books in some in a corner space with a pillow to sit on, you could put some table blocks in a basket on a side table in your living room, switch up with legos, puzzles, etc. , put art supplies for one or two activities at a time in a basket on the center of your dining room table, set up a small table in a corner and rotate baskets of playdough, sensory activities,cutting activities, etc. You can come up with lots of ideas! Be sure to place books throughout the environment as well.

Try to clear off a couple of shelves somewhere, or create some makeshift shelving in your garage and organize all of your supplies, extra toys, etc. so they are readily available for rotating. Being organized makes a huge difference!
Tags:layout, small room
Reply Up