Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do I Tell A Parent That I Have Stopped Accepting Subsidy Payments?
Mariehouse 01:24 PM 01-23-2012
I decided I am going to cancel my county issued child care certification. What do I tell the family that currently receives child care assistance? I feel bad to have to do this, but I am so fed up with the subsidy program! Please help me figure out how to break this news to the family that gets child care assistance?
Cat Herder 01:28 PM 01-23-2012
I was honest and told my client I just could not afford it anymore... The reimbursement rates are just too low, unpredictable, and I was falling behind on my own bills.

This was years ago.

She understood.
JenNJ 01:30 PM 01-23-2012
Dear Parent,

As of (date) I will no longer be accepting subsidy payments. I understand if you need to seek alternate daycare but please be advised that the contract termination clause still applies. X number of weeks written withdrawal notice is expected.

Here is a list of daycares in the area who do accept subsidy (if you have a list).

Thank you for your understanding in this matter,

Your DC Provider
Mariehouse 01:41 PM 01-23-2012
Thank you for your reply. This family pays a co-payment, so I actually do receive the full tuition amount for their child. I just feel bad because I know the family won't be able to afford paying the full tuition rate out of pocket. I thought about giving her a deal and charging her less, but thats not fair to the other families, and I would be losing money.
Mariehouse 02:46 PM 01-23-2012
Thanks Jen! That looks great! This is going to be soo hard for me. She works right down the street and I think she thinks of me as a friend. I hate this part of my job!
countrymom 05:59 AM 01-24-2012
first, no one else needs to know how much everyone is paying. If she is a good client, I would try and make it work. The good parents are so hard to find.
Mariehouse 08:13 PM 01-24-2012
Well, no parent knows how much the other parents are paying, but there's always that chance they will talk to each other about it...I don't know
dave4him 08:27 PM 01-24-2012
I dont ask for any copay with my DHS kid, but it comes out to only 15 a day, so i kind of wish i could get more from her..... but shes family so its hard to push that button. I dont think she paid any more at her other daycare anyway
Mariehouse 08:51 AM 01-25-2012
Thanks everyone for your reply's. I think what I will do is type up a letter like the one Jen posted, but I still don't know how to explain my reasoning to this family. Its a pain to have to do the paperwork but I dont know if thats a good enough reasoning. Any other suggestions?
LittleD 10:01 AM 01-25-2012
You don't need to give a reason. I wouldn't.
Mariehouse 11:08 AM 01-25-2012
But, I know the mom will ask me why. What do I say to her?
Blackcat31 11:15 AM 01-25-2012
Can you just say that it was just too big of a hassle to have to do. Like too much time involved for paperwork and such?

Why are you stopping?
tbutler 11:21 AM 01-25-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Can you just say that it was just too big of a hassle to have to do. Like too much time involved for paperwork and such?

Why are you stopping?
Thats exactly what I told parents when they asked if I accepted the subsidy. "No, I have enough paperwork to keep up with for the state and food program. I want to be able to spend some time with your kids during business hours as well as my own after I close."
saved4always 11:25 AM 01-25-2012
Originally Posted by Mariehouse:
Thanks everyone for your reply's. I think what I will do is type up a letter like the one Jen posted, but I still don't know how to explain my reasoning to this family. Its a pain to have to do the paperwork but I dont know if thats a good enough reasoning. Any other suggestions?
I don't think you have to give her a reason. Just not wanting to deal with it is a good enough reason to me.
Mariehouse 11:34 AM 01-25-2012
For the exact reasons you just said. Its alot of extra work I dont want to have to do. I feel bad because it sounds like a lazy answer.
Blackcat31 11:39 AM 01-25-2012
Originally Posted by Mariehouse:
For the exact reasons you just said. Its alot of extra work I dont want to have to do. I feel bad because it sounds like a lazy answer.
Yeah, but as a super creative child care provider you should know how to make anything seem more or less than it really is

Just say that besides the obvious paperwork you do for her family that the stae/county requires so much more and you are just unable to do it any longer. Then smile sweetly.

I feel your pain too....I used to have 8 families on state subsidy. I have 2 now and one of them is on her way out the door.
Mariehouse 11:55 AM 01-25-2012
For the exact reasons
Tags:subsidy issues
Reply Up