Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default What Would You Have Done (Fever Mentioned Casually)?

My policy is 24 hour fever free before returning (state law actually).

Yesterday, dcg (3) was extremely cranky all morning. Other than that, no signs of illness. She was a mess with crying and listening though. She was only here for half the day and she went home at nap. Mom texted me after and said she fell right asleep (she usually fights nap here). So I thought, phew, she let her body get some rest.

Today, dcg came in pretty happy. She'd been playing with the kids for about 10 minutes while mom and I chatted. She's a great dcm and helps us with field trips, treats, etc...not a parent that I rush out the door. Just before she leaves, she casually says, "I hope she has a better day today. She went right to sleep yesterday and she had a little fever when she woke up but was much happier. It went away with meds and she seems fine now."

I didn't know what to say. I SHOULD have said, "Why is she here??" but I even tried to give them the benefit of the doubt. She just turned 3...so I said, "Could it be teething? Does she have all her molars?" They said she does, but I guess they didn't get my hint about that being the only acceptable reason for fever and being in daycare right after.

What would you have done? I think at pick up I'm going to say something about it. She's been sneezing today and still irritable and the damage is done for sharing germs this time around. Ugh, I usually have a good backbone but she took me by surprise on the way out and I should have stopped it. Man!
Old 08-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtodaycare22 View Post
My policy is 24 hour fever free before returning (state law actually).

Yesterday, dcg (3) was extremely cranky all morning. Other than that, no signs of illness. She was a mess with crying and listening though. She was only here for half the day and she went home at nap. Mom texted me after and said she fell right asleep (she usually fights nap here). So I thought, phew, she let her body get some rest.

Today, dcg came in pretty happy. She'd been playing with the kids for about 10 minutes while mom and I chatted. She's a great dcm and helps us with field trips, treats, etc...not a parent that I rush out the door. Just before she leaves, she casually says, "I hope she has a better day today. She went right to sleep yesterday and she had a little fever when she woke up but was much happier. It went away with meds and she seems fine now."

I didn't know what to say. I SHOULD have said, "Why is she here??" but I even tried to give them the benefit of the doubt. She just turned 3...so I said, "Could it be teething? Does she have all her molars?" They said she does, but I guess they didn't get my hint about that being the only acceptable reason for fever and being in daycare right after.

What would you have done? I think at pick up I'm going to say something about it. She's been sneezing today and still irritable and the damage is done for sharing germs this time around. Ugh, I usually have a good backbone but she took me by surprise on the way out and I should have stopped it. Man!
Remind the parent again of your policy. 24 hours fever free. No exceptions it is a state law that I have to follow. It is getting to be that time again of the year where the parents need a reminder, school seems to bring rounds of colds and fevers and what not.

Best-
Old 08-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

yup, its up to you to remind them and enforce your policy. I send home immediately if I know that a child has been medicated in order to make it thru the morning at daycare....thats a big no-no here. I also dont do hints and would have said in a straight forward manner that little one cannot stay.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Daycare.com Member

She should have gone home immediately. I know confrontation is hard...but you have to think about the other children in care and youself...if you get sick...you have to close day care and then everyone is inconvenienced.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

IF she wasn't running a fever, I would let it go.

I have one upstairs in quarantine with a 102*. She's my granddaughter, though. We knew it was coming as she's the last one to get sick.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Scrumptious View Post
She should have gone home immediately. I know confrontation is hard...but you have to think about the other children in care and youself...if you get sick...you have to close day care and then everyone is inconvenienced.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Daycare.com Member

If it was a little bit of a fever was it an actual fever? Like in my old daycare it had to be above 100.1 to be considered a fever. Maybe it was under 100 which would still be a little fever, kwim? I'd give her the benefit of the doubt but remind her that if the fever is above x she cannot attend...
Old 08-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Daycare.com Member

I spoke to her about it this afternoon. It was 99.5 and no fever today. I reminder mom of the policy though. Thanks guys

Tags
fever - policy, teething