Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bottle Feedings For a 12 Month Old?
Angelwings36 01:58 PM 11-13-2012
So I started a new 12 month old this month. He is taking three 5oz bottles per day and will not drink his bottle unless I hold it for him. It takes him up to 30 minutes to drink one bottle of milk so I am spending up to 1.5 hours of my day doing bottle feedings for this boy. I need to approach mom regarding this issue but what is the best way to do so? Thanks.
Angelwings36 02:05 PM 11-13-2012
This child is in my care from 7:30am - 4:30pm daily.
blandino 02:47 PM 11-13-2012
I expect babies to start helping holding their own bottle at 6 months. Even those who "cannot hold it" seem to get the hang when that is their only option. I don't have a set age for weaning children, but rarely have anyone over a year on a bottle. We wean when their parents wean. However, I would have the baby drink the bottle in their high chair. Or at minimum laying on a blanket, drinking it. I think you are going above and beyond by doing what you are doing.

To teach holding the bottle, I put the bottle on their mouth, take their hands and physically make the hold the bottle. When they move them it drops - and their bottle is gone. It doesn't take very long for them to understand the action - consequence, Especially a 12 month old.
blandino 02:50 PM 11-13-2012
Obviously, I put the bottle back in their mouth after a few seconds. That isn't the end of the bottle. I more or less repeat that process, for a while.
Heidi 03:21 PM 11-13-2012
I do not even give bottles to a 12 month old, no matter what they do at home. Honestly, at about 10 months they are almost done with bottles here, they get cups with lids as soon as they can sit up at the table.

It's a bit like nursing...a lot of moms nurse long after the fist birthday, but typically, they stop sending b. milk to daycare at that point, and many move nursing to a first thing in the am and bedtime thing.

I guess I wouldn't make a big deal out of it with the parents. Just offer a cup, help him at first, and then move on. You are not weaning him, you are giving him another tool besides that bottle.
shelby 04:06 PM 11-13-2012
My 12 month olds.. (have 2 now) both are given bottles here... but I will only give them to them at nap time. I have a feeling that one of mine is given a bottle at home all the time and walks around with it... but not here, they do well with a sippy cup for lunch and such..
If he "needs" a bottle , then make him hold it.
itlw8 04:27 PM 11-13-2012
insist on a nipple with a faster flow, give the child a sippy cup... actually if the child will not hole the bottle it will be much easier to switch to a sippy cup. go get one of those with the soft top to start with and you feed him in your arms. The next day you feed him sitting up then in the high chair and then let him do it.
cheerfuldom 05:41 PM 11-13-2012
I would put him on a sippy cup at daycare and offer only at meal times, just like the big kids. he will drink when he is thirsty or catch up at home with mom in the evening.
littlemissmuffet 06:42 PM 11-13-2012
12 month olds are not provided with bottles here, sippies only. I would put milk in a sippy (lunch only) and leave it on his tray... he'll get the hang of it eventually by watching the others. I give water the rest of the day.

I have never had to hold a bottle for any child over 6 months.... you need to talk to the parents about this ASAP.
Meyou 01:53 AM 11-14-2012
I would also do a sippie at meal times with the other children.
Tags:1 year old, bottle issues
Reply Up