Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>We Are Getting A Gate Across The Driveway!!
crazydaycarelady 10:44 AM 09-02-2014
I am pretty excited! It is going to have a code or openers and the only 2 people that have them will be dh and I!

I think some of the parents are going to be miffed. I have one that will sit in her car and wait until there is a driveway spot open before shell come in and get her kids. But NO WHERE did I ever say I offered specific parking.

In the last year:
~ dcm crashed into ds's truck and into my flower garden sending the birdbath spinning like a top.
~ dcm hit my car
~ dhs truck got side swiped
~ too many sprinkler heads ran over to remember them all

The giant rocks that I put in front of the sprinkler heads? Last week someone ran over the first one, it got stuck under their car which drug it into the grass. They continued over the second rock, knocking it over and then drove off. Who in the He!! does that?

It was the last straw. I can't wait to get the gate!
Patches 10:53 AM 09-02-2014
You have the worst drivers in the world for clients! So glad you're getting a gate.
DaveA 10:59 AM 09-02-2014
After all that I'd put up a gate to.
spinnymarie 11:06 AM 09-02-2014
Yay! So glad to hear you have the perfect solution! (though costly, I'm sure )
melilley 11:06 AM 09-02-2014
I can't believe that parents would do that!
I agree, sounds like you do need a gate!
BrooklynM 11:10 AM 09-02-2014
Originally Posted by Patches:
You have the worst drivers in the world for clients! So glad you're getting a gate.
I was thinking the same thing! Maybe as part of your interview process you should have a parking exam, lol!
NeedaVaca 11:13 AM 09-02-2014

TheGoodLife 11:18 AM 09-02-2014
Yay! I hope it wasn't too expensive and that you guys can enjoy the extra peace of mind it brings

(And to any DCPs who are upset, I'd let them know that it is due to extreme costs of repair to damage done by various people in the driveway, and that it was either a gate or increase in weekly rates to cover all the repair costs. IF you even decide to explain.) Very curious, is the DCM that you refered to one that you know/think has done some of that damage?
butterfly 12:35 PM 09-02-2014
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
I was thinking the same thing! Maybe as part of your interview process you should have a parking exam, lol!

Heidi 12:45 PM 09-02-2014

crazydaycarelady 12:56 PM 09-02-2014
It's probably going to be about $500 for the gate and everything, but dh and I were thinking - we usually have to seal-coat the driveway every year, at about $300. This will cut down on the wear and tear and of course no more repairs.

Wanna bet one of these knuckleheads crashes into the gate?!?!
midaycare 01:30 PM 09-02-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
It's probably going to be about $500 for the gate and everything, but dh and I were thinking - we usually have to have to seal-coat the driveway every year, at about $300. This will cut down on the wear and tear and of course no more repairs.

Wanna bet one of these knuckleheads crashes into the gate?!?!
I'm not taking that bet. You'd win for sure
nannyde 01:31 PM 09-02-2014
Time to start selling driveway gate codes. A hundred a month and a signed contract that if they break anything they pay.
CraftyMom 01:53 PM 09-02-2014
Good for you! I've read your other posts about dcp's running stuff over. I think you were far more patient than my husband would have been! After the 1st incident he would have blocked off the driveway!
MarinaVanessa 01:57 PM 09-02-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Time to start selling driveway gate codes. A hundred a month and a signed contract that if they break anything they pay.

You could potentially be raking in the money and have the gate paid for in no time if you did this!
Thriftylady 06:26 PM 09-02-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
That is a great idea, but they probably still wouldn't tell her when they hit or ran over something. However, if they didn't she would have enough money to pay someone to come change the code lol.
Play Care 02:51 AM 09-03-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I am pretty excited! It is going to have a code or openers and the only 2 people that have them will be dh and I!

I think some of the parents are going to be miffed. I have one that will sit in her car and wait until there is a driveway spot open before shell come in and get her kids. But NO WHERE did I ever say I offered specific parking.

In the last year:
~ dcm crashed into ds's truck and into my flower garden sending the birdbath spinning like a top.
~ dcm hit my car
~ dhs truck got side swiped
~ too many sprinkler heads ran over to remember them all

The giant rocks that I put in front of the sprinkler heads? Last week someone ran over the first one, it got stuck under their car which drug it into the grass. They continued over the second rock, knocking it over and then drove off. Who in the He!! does that?

It was the last straw. I can't wait to get the gate!
So will you tell parents it's coming or just have it installed and let them find out? That is awesome. I have just no words for how inconsiderate your parents have been.
crazydaycarelady 08:23 AM 09-03-2014
I imagine we will install it over a weekend so I'll probably just put a blurb on my daycare fb page about how the parking will be on-street only now.

The may complain but at the beginning of the summer I mentioned that if damage continued I would get a gate. THEY wouldn't put up with this crap at their house!
AmyKidsCo 09:27 AM 09-03-2014
Congrats! I'd get a gate too - crazy parents!!

Personally I'd tell them you did it for the children's safety. They obviously don't care about damage to your property, but can't argue if you say it's for THEIR CHILD'S safety.
daycarediva 09:37 AM 09-03-2014
I thought of you this morning when a dcm ran into my (now broken) garage door. She's agreed to pay 1/2 damages (it was being replaced soon anyway, which is why I agreed to half).

A gate is a FABULOUS idea. If it were allowed here, I would absolutely do it, too!
Tags:driveway, gates
Reply Up