Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:03 AM
Unregistered

Default Putting a big gate by front door at pickup???

Every time a parent picks up, the kids go crazy and they even try to go outside while the parent is talking to me. One parent lets her kid stay on the porch (she can see him) and the other mom lets her kid run out to her running vehicle and let's him play in the driver's seat. (Lord, help me!)

I recently updated my contract saying that children MUST be accompanied in and out of my house by the parent. Apparently the parents don't understand what I mean...it lasted a week and then they let their kids run out to the vehicle again. It's absolutely ridiculous. I feel like I have to babysit kids AND parents.

What do I do? Should I put one of those big gates (the ones you would put in front of a Christmas tree) in front of my door? I wouldn't lock the kids in it, it round be a big "U" in front of the door so the parent could step inside but the daycare kids wouldn't be allowed to go outside. I would have to lift the kid up over it though and I have a BIG dcb.

I am just fed up with it and it's a HUGE liability. If a kid got out of my house and went to the street......I don't even want to think about it.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:18 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Maybe respond differently to the parent. ?
Instead of continuing to talk to the parent while the child is free range, say--
Mom, see you tomorrow. Jonah needs your supervison.
And walk away.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundrymom View Post
Instead of continuing to talk to the parent while the child is free range, say--
And walk away.
That is the easiest solution.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:33 PM
Daycare.com Member

Yep. Or add a bit of humor - "Uh-oh, we got a runner - better catch him!"

ITA it's a HUGE liability so in addition to hurrying pick-up I'd put a note in my newsletter that focuses on the safety issue.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:32 PM
Daycare.com Member

Yep, "oops there goes Sally! I'll let you go. Have a great night!" shut the door.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Daycare.com Member

I do something like this. I have my daycare set up in my basement, and have a "parent area" gated at the bottom of the stairs. I don't lift kids over until their parents and I are done talking about their day.

I have a pick up policy, outline that parents need to accompany their child, etc., but the gate kind of serves as a visual reminder!
Old 09-11-2016, 07:49 PM

I am very firm on my pick up policy. No daycare child is allowed to touch the door regardless of age, only adults. No daycare child is allowed outside without an adult, again that's regardless of age.

I firmly correct the child in front of the parent and remind the parent in a firm voice. I've been known to place a child in time out in front of the parent.

I rarely have to remind a child twice.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:05 PM
Daycare.com Member

I have a gate by the front that is mounted onto the wall. I ask that the adults operate it even though the older kids figured out how to. I have told the parents that I'am responsible for them until they are out the front door. When I first started doing dc I had no gate at the front, it did not take long to find out that a gate was the only way to do it. It's a real sanity savor.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlan View Post
I am very firm on my pick up policy. No daycare child is allowed to touch the door regardless of age, only adults. No daycare child is allowed outside without an adult, again that's regardless of age.

I firmly correct the child in front of the parent and remind the parent in a firm voice. I've been known to place a child in time out in front of the parent.

I rarely have to remind a child twice.
This is exactly what I do.

Frankly considering the massive liability a running child could potentially bring to the provider Im surprised that being firm and direct isn't the obvious answer for everyone.

I'm thinking being sued in court for injuries that happened on your property due to a parent not listening to you would suck majorly so wouldn't finding the strength to be firm and addressing the parent point blank would be much easier.....and cheaper ?
Old 09-12-2016, 07:19 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
This is exactly what I do.

Frankly considering the massive liability a running child could potentially bring to the provider Im surprised that being firm and direct isn't the obvious answer for everyone.

I'm thinking being sued in court for injuries that happened on your property due to a parent not listening to you would suck majorly so wouldn't finding the strength to be firm and addressing the parent point blank would be much easier.....and cheaper ?
Thank you everyone for your responses.

Blackcat, yes you are right, being firm and direct SHOULD be the obvious answer, but I'm very reserved and shy by nature and I don't like to correct parents. I feel like I shouldn't have to tell the parents to keep an eye on THEIR kid. But, yes, in this situation, I do need to grow a pair and take control...
Old 09-12-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thank you everyone for your responses.

Blackcat, yes you are right, being firm and direct SHOULD be the obvious answer, but I'm very reserved and shy by nature and I don't like to correct parents. I feel like I shouldn't have to tell the parents to keep an eye on THEIR kid. But, yes, in this situation, I do need to grow a pair and take control...
I know it's hard.

But put YOUR needs first.

If it helps get into "character" what I used to do is pretend like every parent that didn't take me serious was STEALING money from my family and my ability to provide for my own children.

Suddenly being "Mama Bear" FOR my kids helped me wear the stern, strict hat needed to stress the rule to daycare parents.

Sometimes changing your perspective helps change your actions and/or approach. Try it.... when you need to confront a daycare client about this issues, speak as if you are speaking up FOR your family...because bottom line is, you really are.

You CAN do this!
Old 09-12-2016, 09:25 AM
new provider

I also do not allow dck's to open the door and have had a to have a stern talk to dck's in front of their parents about touching the door. After they leave I immediately close the door because I Have witnessed parents chasing their little one up and down the street. Smh
Old 09-12-2016, 12:17 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundrymom View Post
And walk away.
This is what I do
Old 09-12-2016, 02:01 PM

I would not let the child out of the house. If they go to leave I would say "wait for mommy" or "you can't go until mom is ready". I have a screen door and I just keep it locked for any kids who like to go near and push on the door.
I wouldn't go buying another piece of equipment because parents/children aren't following your guidelines.

Tags
entry way, entry way gate, gates, pick up issues, pick up policy