Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-25-2017, 01:18 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Daycare with Bad Reputation...How do I recover?

Hello there.

2 years ago during transition in ownership in a smallish town area with about 2,000-4,000 households, a bad reputation was developed. The primary reasons as I've found out was both due to some latent racism, gender discrimination (i'm male), and mishandling of the transition where one of the teachers was let out. I've learned all these things over the years from talking to various people.

I've sought to counter these things by having the main face of the school be a female with a bubbly personality who is very socially intelligent who is not of my ethnicity.

Unfortunately I recently had a family from the immediate area who visited for the tour, loved the environment, saw all the kids running around having fun, registered with deposit, and then suddenly pull out after I suspect talking to someone within that social circle. As a matter of fact, all my clients in the last 2 years have been from new people moving in from out of town/city, people not associated with the main social circle (very very few), and people who live in the surrounding areas outside of this town. Geography wise I am situated in the middle of the town but the town is being surrounded by expanding suburbia from a neighbouring city.

My location is excellent in terms of being situated on a main road. My centre is larger than most. We have excellent learning materials and learning environment, indoors and outdoors. We are much better at giving tours than before. I've also instructed the staff to take the kids out to the local park to give a face to people who might not phone in. Prices are competitive as well.

Overwhelmingly, the main thing that holds me back to 50% capacity (meaning I can barely pay my bills) is the latent bad reputation.

I am extremely short on cash at this moment so I can't do anything money intensive. Any suggestions or just any kind of commentary on my situation?

Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by Michael; 02-26-2017 at 06:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-25-2017, 01:48 PM
Mom2Two's Avatar
Mom2Two Mom2Two is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: U. S. A.
Posts: 1,851
Default

Well, those families must be going somewhere else. What can you do to add some more positives or let folk know about the positives your program has that make it stand out? Let people know about your awesomeness.

Is there much national/racial diversity in your town? Could you let folks know how your diverse program is a positive? Wouldn't it have educational benefit? I recently saw a J. J. Abrams thingy about how inclusiveness benefits everyone. Make a display board in your lobby with art work from the children and quotes talking about their family's heritage. Everyone has a story to celebrate.

Could you get some national level credentials like Top Star or whatever?

It sounds like you've got some challenges that may not be unfair--but it could also be an opportunity to rise up to victory :-)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-25-2017, 01:54 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Two View Post
Well, those families must be going somewhere else. What can you do to add some more positives or let folk know about the positives your program has that make it stand out? Let people know about your awesomeness.

Is there much national/racial diversity in your town? Could you let folks know how your diverse program is a positive? Wouldn't it have educational benefit? I recently saw a J. J. Abrams thingy about how inclusiveness benefits everyone. Make a display board in your lobby with art work from the children and quotes talking about their family's heritage. Everyone has a story to celebrate.

Could you get some national level credentials like Top Star or whatever?

It sounds like you've got some challenges that may not be unfair--but it could also be an opportunity to rise up to victory :-)

The town is very white. Ask yourself, if you went to the Bible Belt to a small conservative town, as a black man would you really be able to convince people after decades, centuries of these views otherwise?


We have lots of positive things that are shown in the school including artwork prominently displayed. The learning environment has been praised by many parents for its large space, its materials, neatness, brightness, etc. But that's for the few who even bother to come for the tour. Most people will talk to their friends and hear about "you know about that new owner..." etc etc and that's it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-25-2017, 04:24 PM
Pepperth's Avatar
Pepperth Pepperth is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 665
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello there.

2 years ago during transition in ownership in a smallish town area with about 2000-4000 households, a bad reputation was developed. The primary reasons as I've found out was both due to some latent racism, gender discrimination (i'm male), and mishandling of the transition where one of the teachers was let out. I've learned all these things over the years from talking to various people.

I've sought to counter these things by having the main face of the school be a female with a bubbly personality who is very socially intelligent who is not of my ethnicity.

Unfortunately I recently had a family from the immediate area who visited for the tour, loved the environment, saw all the kids running around having fun, registered with deposit, and then suddenly pull out after I suspect talking to someone within that social circle. As a matter of fact, all my clients in the last 2 years have been from new people moving in from out of town/city, people not associated with the main social circle (very very few), and people who live in the surrounding areas outside of this town. Geography wise I am situated in the middle of the town but the town is being surrounded by expanding suburbia from a neighbouring city.

My location is excellent in terms of being situated on a main road. My centre is larger than most. We have excellent learning materials and learning environment, indoors and outdoors. We are much better at giving tours than before. I've also instructed the staff to take the kids out to the local park to give a face to people who might not phone in. Prices are competitive as well.

Overwhelmingly, the main thing that holds me back to 50% capacity (meaning I can barely pay my bills) is the latent bad reputation.

I am extremely short on cash at this moment so I can't do anything money intensive. Any suggestions or just any kind of commentary on my situation?

Thanks a bunch.
Is there some type of Incentive you could provide current families who refer somebody? Could you run a few date night programs and get people in the door? Give your info to realtors to get people new to town familiar with you? Are there any community organizations you could join so people get to know you better?

I'm sorry you aren't getting a fair shake. Best of luck to you. Sounds like a great program you are operating now.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-25-2017, 04:44 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperth View Post
Is there some type of Incentive you could provide current families who refer somebody? Could you run a few date night programs and get people in the door? Give your info to realtors to get people new to town familiar with you? Are there any community organizations you could join so people get to know you better?

I'm sorry you aren't getting a fair shake. Best of luck to you. Sounds like a great program you are operating now.
Because all the families I have are not part of that big social circle in town, they come. But for that same reason, I do not get any referrals because they have no friends in the area.

I've looked into a free hour during the week or an evening or weekend program. The problem with that is I'm not allowed in the evening and weekends by my landlord. I can't renegotiate it because technically I'm up for lease renewal this year, which likely means an increase but I think he's forgotten so I don't want to bring it up at all. Doing a free drop in program during the week can be feasible although I'm not sure how to advertise such a thing. As I mentioned I don't have any cash for a flyer campaign or anything...

I am not a social butterfly, which is why the face of the school is my staff not myself. For me to join any community organizations would not help in any way.

Our program is great. But even people who have come and seen it in action change their minds once they engage with that social group. It doesn't matter what the reality is, what their social circles say and gossip matters more.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-25-2017, 05:57 PM
Pestle's Avatar
Pestle Pestle is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,599
Default

Did the problems occur during YOUR transition in, and you've only recently learned about them?

How do you know that the potential families like the program, but change their minds after talking to other people?


I grew up a rural, 98% white town in the Bible Belt. There was only one pediatrician in town. When I was a teenager, a new pediatrician opened an office. He was black, and his waiting room was always full. Why? Because he branded as a Christian pediatrician, and because everybody knew the white pediatrician had been arrested for drug abuse. In a small town, word gets around.

For every family that's got a latent racist reason for staying away, there must be several families that don't care. I agree with Mom2Two about branding, but I don't know if championing diversity is the way to go--it would be here in my mid-sized Bible Belt city, but probably still not in my home town.

How do you feel about becoming affiliated with a church? Here in a more diverse town, I actually make a point of not having a religious program, since most of the programs here are Christian and many of the potential families aren't. I've gotten three families so far who made a point of making sure I wouldn't be indoctrinating their kids. Where you're at, the reverse is probably true.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-25-2017, 06:02 PM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,068
Default

How long ago did this happen? It is unfortunate but likely only time will heal this wound. You can only do so much with the limitations you have and unfortunately I don't see any amount of free services helping here. Word of mouth is pretty much the bread and butter of this kind of business because people care about where they put their kids and through no fault of yours your reputation went into the toilet.

Can you change your name so that when people bring up "XYZ daycare" they don't immediately know it is your daycare? Can you put a sign out that says "under new management"? I know restaurants do this to get over a bad reputation but I am not sure how much it will help in a small town where people know it is still you.

Ugh such a hard situation to be in
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-25-2017, 06:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestle View Post
Did the problems occur during YOUR transition in, and you've only recently learned about them?

How do you know that the potential families like the program, but change their minds after talking to other people?


I grew up a rural, 98% white town in the Bible Belt. There was only one pediatrician in town. When I was a teenager, a new pediatrician opened an office. He was black, and his waiting room was always full. Why? Because he branded as a Christian pediatrician, and because everybody knew the white pediatrician had been arrested for drug abuse. In a small town, word gets around.

For every family that's got a latent racist reason for staying away, there must be several families that don't care. I agree with Mom2Two about branding, but I don't know if championing diversity is the way to go--it would be here in my mid-sized Bible Belt city, but probably still not in my home town.

How do you feel about becoming affiliated with a church? Here in a more diverse town, I actually make a point of not having a religious program, since most of the programs here are Christian and many of the potential families aren't. I've gotten three families so far who made a point of making sure I wouldn't be indoctrinating their kids. Where you're at, the reverse is probably true.
This occurred during the transition from previous owner to myself. I've known about it since the very beginning, which is 2 years ago. The alternative daycares in the area have not been arrested for xyz so I think for your example it's more like people didn't have a choice anymore. Not so in my case as there are several other choices available and at least one other choice for my niche. People here are not really religious but as I've said, I cannot join any organizations because I hate small talk, I have tried for YEARS to be into that stuff but it's just not me and it does not work.

The racism thing was just one of several factors that started the bad perception and bad reputation. Essentially when people heard about the new owner being of xyz ethnicity they already had a whole slew of assumptions (the definition of racism essentially) without ever meeting me. Unfortunately I also had an employee who enjoyed suddenly being the centre of attention of the gossip circle and thought bad mouthing me would somehow get her ahead. By the time I got a new employee to replace her it was too late. Since then we've had a good program, good staff, but people won't even take a look and even the few who do from the area, as soon as they hear about whatever gossip is still around, they pull out.

Thanks for your reply.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-25-2017, 06:30 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
How long ago did this happen? It is unfortunate but likely only time will heal this wound. You can only do so much with the limitations you have and unfortunately I don't see any amount of free services helping here. Word of mouth is pretty much the bread and butter of this kind of business because people care about where they put their kids and through no fault of yours your reputation went into the toilet.

Can you change your name so that when people bring up "XYZ daycare" they don't immediately know it is your daycare? Can you put a sign out that says "under new management"? I know restaurants do this to get over a bad reputation but I am not sure how much it will help in a small town where people know it is still you.

Ugh such a hard situation to be in
This happened nearly exactly 2 years ago. I've thought about rebranding but that would incur expenses like changing the sign etc. I'm also not sure how effective that would be since (and I know this from second hand accounts) when people mention my daycare they say 'oh that daycare owned by that <ethnicity> guy?'...

I am really disappointed also in the lack of referrals from the clients that have come onboard since everything blew over. These people know nothing of what happened but like I said are almost all new residents to the area or in a few cases, just not having many friends (one dad told me this when we were talking referrals etc)

I'm just curious, how long do these things to take to blow over, at least enough that I will get some* people from the local area...you know, not 100% recovery but 'enough'? In a small town setting...

Thanks for your reply.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-25-2017, 09:29 PM
midaycare's Avatar
midaycare midaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,659
Default

I've lived small town Bible Belt. You will need to get out and meet people, joim groups. There is no other easy fix. You may not feel comfortable, but that is how small towns operate.

It is how even middle and large towns and cities operate. Part of this job is going out there and getting business for ourselves, promoting ourselves all the time.

Gossip won't matter if they have the opportunity to meet and speak with you (and they like you). Join a club, church, something, anything. Volunteer. Do random acts of kindness. Word will get around.

I'm a little confused on if you are a director of a center or just have a larger daycare. If you are a director, parents won't care about you too much. You won't be teaching their kids. If you are a teacher, I would not drop my child off with a teacher who was ill at ease around me and couldn't make conversation. That's just my personal feelings.

So I would start there. Go get out there and join groups, make friends.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-26-2017, 01:25 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by midaycare View Post
I've lived small town Bible Belt. You will need to get out and meet people, joim groups. There is no other easy fix. You may not feel comfortable, but that is how small towns operate.

It is how even middle and large towns and cities operate. Part of this job is going out there and getting business for ourselves, promoting ourselves all the time.

Gossip won't matter if they have the opportunity to meet and speak with you (and they like you). Join a club, church, something, anything. Volunteer. Do random acts of kindness. Word will get around.

I'm a little confused on if you are a director of a center or just have a larger daycare. If you are a director, parents won't care about you too much. You won't be teaching their kids. If you are a teacher, I would not drop my child off with a teacher who was ill at ease around me and couldn't make conversation. That's just my personal feelings.

So I would start there. Go get out there and join groups, make friends.
I'm the director/management, I don't work with the kids really...when I do tours I make sure people understand this is the setup. Has not made a difference with this area though.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-26-2017, 08:34 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Have you or are you involved with your community. When I moved to my location about 8-9years ago, no one knew me. Without saying too much, I am very different than 95%of the population where I live and many view my culture not so positive.

Sorry not trying to make this about race. But I got out into my community to meet others, help at my kids schools,volunteer, coach youth sports and get to know people, but mostly so that people could get to know me and know I'm a good person.

It worked very well, I still volunteer in my community every week. I love to live to help others in any way that I can.

If you could do this, people will see that you are a great man and will eventually look over whatever it is that happened.

This community I live is also some what of a Bible Belt, I just stand clear of anything to do with religion.

Hugs to you. I hope it works out.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-26-2017, 09:22 AM
Pestle's Avatar
Pestle Pestle is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,599
Default

I think you're at an impasse. . . if you can't spend any money to rebrand and you can't talk to people, then nothing's going to change (other than, as Ariana says, time eventually helping people to forget).

My mother is on the Autism spectrum and doesn't socialize well. So you have my sympathy. However, if you're completely against any community involvement you are probably in the wrong field. If you were to go out and volunteer a few hours a month, as a rep of your day care, you'd find that when people are working together on a physical task (like sorting donations, repairing houses, cleaning up roadsides, etc.) they develop affection for each other, no matter how different or "misfit" the others are. You don't have to talk much; you can just listen a little bit, make a few "m-hm" sounds so people feel like they aren't ignored, and stay focused on the work.

Or if you attended community meetings, you'd find that it's easy to not speak, because there will always be a few people who fill up all the time with their own chatter. If you don't arrive too early and you don't stay too late, you can dodge most of the small talk. And take that time to people-watch; you'll probably notice a lot of folks buried in work they brought with them on their smart phones.

As far as small talk goes, most people like to talk about ourselves and spend the "listening" time thinking ahead to what we're going to say next. If it's hard for you to talk about yourself, just come up with some leading questions and you'll find you barely have to talk at all. I have a friend who's brilliant, a Cornell PhD, multi-talented, and he loves to listen to others and learn about them. He can make any person feel special because he treats them as if they're the most interesting thing that's happened to him all week. You walk away from him thinking "He's so great, so smart, so funny," and then you realize he didn't actually say anything at all. You just liked him because he made you feel like he liked you! Sneaky jerk. . .
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-26-2017, 09:45 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Since several people have suggested the community volunteer thing I will look into that. It's weird with me. I can be very social but not if I feel like I need to be. I can't really put a certain label on it because it's just all over the place. Hopefully there is something like that around.

Any ideas on how long it would take for these things to blow over on the present course if I keep doing what I've been doing?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-26-2017, 10:33 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Since several people have suggested the community volunteer thing I will look into that. It's weird with me. I can be very social but not if I feel like I need to be. I can't really put a certain label on it because it's just all over the place. Hopefully there is something like that around.

Any ideas on how long it would take for these things to blow over on the present course if I keep doing what I've been doing?
Just be yourself and let nature takes it course.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-26-2017, 11:45 AM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Since several people have suggested the community volunteer thing I will look into that. It's weird with me. I can be very social but not if I feel like I need to be. I can't really put a certain label on it because it's just all over the place. Hopefully there is something like that around.

Any ideas on how long it would take for these things to blow over on the present course if I keep doing what I've been doing?
How about either hosting or putting on some sort of seminar for parents. You could cover some things like behavior management, choosing the right daycare, sleep issues etc. Whatever you think will get people to come. You can introduce people and have other people talk mostly after you do brief introductions if you want. Really advertise the heck out of it. My chiropractor did this a few months ago. She called it a "womens expo" and had local business women come to give talks about things pertaining to health and wellness. It was good for them because they got to plug their business and it was good exposure for her. They set up booths inside the office as well and people just mingled.

I think it is super important that you start showing yourself as a professional person. I think standing in the background is not going to help matters if people get the wrong perception of you right out of the gate.

I am not sure how long it will take to blow over but 2 years in my opinion is way too long for this to still be going on. That is small town racism for you
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-26-2017, 01:02 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
How about either hosting or putting on some sort of seminar for parents. You could cover some things like behavior management, choosing the right daycare, sleep issues etc. Whatever you think will get people to come. You can introduce people and have other people talk mostly after you do brief introductions if you want. Really advertise the heck out of it. My chiropractor did this a few months ago. She called it a "womens expo" and had local business women come to give talks about things pertaining to health and wellness. It was good for them because they got to plug their business and it was good exposure for her. They set up booths inside the office as well and people just mingled.

I think it is super important that you start showing yourself as a professional person. I think standing in the background is not going to help matters if people get the wrong perception of you right out of the gate.

I am not sure how long it will take to blow over but 2 years in my opinion is way too long for this to still be going on. That is small town racism for you
I think I get the overall theme is to get myself out there. I've tried doing that with taking the kids to the local park. Really the people who are not part of that gossip circle don't have a bad perception of me so it's not like they meet me (in the background) and get a bad vibe. Rather, it's the people part of that gossip circle who without meeting me or coming to look at the place already have a strong perception of how things are.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-26-2017, 03:43 PM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think I get the overall theme is to get myself out there. I've tried doing that with taking the kids to the local park. Really the people who are not part of that gossip circle don't have a bad perception of me so it's not like they meet me (in the background) and get a bad vibe. Rather, it's the people part of that gossip circle who without meeting me or coming to look at the place already have a strong perception of how things are.
Ugh, sometimes you just cannot make people understand 'you don't need to believe everything you hear!' It's sad they're not even giving you a chance and have prejudged everything about you.
I know it's being suggested to you left and right but I have to agree with what PPs are saying about 'getting yourself out there'. And I'm not talking going to the park and being seen. What about volunteering for an hour here or there to read at your local library for children's story hour? Organize something you can present to a younger population. I live in New England and people get serious cabin fever around now. A couple weeks ago they had a Messy Play Day at one at the local schools where a local child care network puts it on. Kids love it! They tape plastic to the gym floor, fill sensory tubs with different things and just let the kids go at it. It's good family fun and is free. In another couple weeks they have a Dabble Day which I volunteer at, along with many of the members of another network group. Each table offers a different activity for kids and families to get involved in. I wonder if you and your staff could do something like that on a smaller scale?
Can you network with other providers in town and arrange family fun days?? I am a terrible introvert, in the worst way. I never used to put myself out there for anything. Maybe it's a good thing the state has cracked down and made us more involved.
Just remember, you and your staff are special in the lives of your little people, keep smiling even if you don't feel like it, act friendly and kind no matter what anyone is saying about you and hold yourself straight and proud. This will pass, maybe not as soon as you wish or need but when the gossip runs its course and people that meet you learn more about you, people will hopefully come to their senses.
It's too bad the local newspaper couldn't write an article about your child care and add a little personal piece about you. Is there some local charity you could have the kids get involved in, such as a dog shelter or food shelf? Then call the paper and ask if they could do a little piece about it and snap a picture for their paper?
Some times I just want to take close-minded people and shake some sense into them. Ignorance and arrogance makes some think they're better than others.
I wish you the best of luck in getting over this hurdle!!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-26-2017, 04:31 PM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think I get the overall theme is to get myself out there. I've tried doing that with taking the kids to the local park. Really the people who are not part of that gossip circle don't have a bad perception of me so it's not like they meet me (in the background) and get a bad vibe. Rather, it's the people part of that gossip circle who without meeting me or coming to look at the place already have a strong perception of how things are.
do those people have kids? Would they be interested in hearing about topics pertaining to kids? Would they be interested in hearing, for free, about businesses that pertain to kids etc. And perhaps getting free stuff. The object is to change their minds about you right?

I personally don't see how going to a local park is going to get anyone to change their minds about you. YOU need to participate in that.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-26-2017, 05:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
do those people have kids? Would they be interested in hearing about topics pertaining to kids? Would they be interested in hearing, for free, about businesses that pertain to kids etc. And perhaps getting free stuff. The object is to change their minds about you right?

I personally don't see how going to a local park is going to get anyone to change their minds about you. YOU need to participate in that.
well taking the kids to the park shows the dynamic, shows the kids having fun, and gives presence in the neighbourhood with the parents that use that park during the day. I've had people ask about where we are from and that sort of a thing after meeting at the park.

regarding the seminar stuff, I have no idea how to set those up, nor have any contacts, nor where to begin and I don't have money to pay for free stuff etc. I also am not allowed to operate beyond my normal hours by condition of my lease...
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-26-2017, 05:10 PM
CalCare's Avatar
CalCare CalCare is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: California
Posts: 661
Default

As you mentioned, Josiegirl, about the newspaper article- He can write his own actually! I've done it a few times. Write a press release, email it to several online and print papers. You plan an event and you write about your school and the event. First paragraph- the event, next paragraph- more about the school. Please remember to include your website, phone number, etc. WITH a link! Then host your event AND take photos. Then you send out ANOTHER press release describing the event and now you have pics. .. What you need is a real marketing plan. That would include: events you will attend, events you will host, putting out press releases on events, advertising openings, etc. I can pm you the press releases I wrote if I can find them. Just to give an idea if you don't know where to begin. Events to host could be: family fun day, host a speaker (as mentioned by previous posters, don't speak yourself because that's just annoying- like now you are going to tell the community what they need to be doing and how), coat/canned food drives, beach/Creek clean ups..
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-26-2017, 05:17 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCare View Post
As you mentioned, Josiegirl, about the newspaper article- He can write his own actually! I've done it a few times. Write a press release, email it to several online and print papers. You plan an event and you write about your school and the event. First paragraph- the event, next paragraph- more about the school. Please remember to include your website, phone number, etc. WITH a link! Then host your event AND take photos. Then you send out ANOTHER press release describing the event and now you have pics. .. What you need is a real marketing plan. That would include: events you will attend, events you will host, putting out press releases on events, advertising openings, etc. I can pm you the press releases I wrote if I can find them. Just to give an idea if you don't know where to begin. Events to host could be: family fun day, host a speaker (as mentioned by previous posters, don't speak yourself because that's just annoying- like now you are going to tell the community what they need to be doing and how), coat/canned food drives, beach/Creek clean ups..
These are good idea. I actually know the previous owner did a press release of sorts with some local media outlets when the school originally was opened. It was highly successful. It also cost her a few thousand dollars. I believe it was something like a TV interview, something in the local papers/magazine, and an ad in the local rec centre.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-26-2017, 05:29 PM
CalCare's Avatar
CalCare CalCare is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: California
Posts: 661
Default

A press release is free. You wrote it and email it to all the local places. They decide if they care to print. It's fun to see when they print what you write!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-26-2017, 05:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCare View Post
A press release is free. You wrote it and email it to all the local places. They decide if they care to print. It's fun to see when they print what you write!
Cool didn't know that. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
marketing, reputation

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Partner with Daycare in Oakland County Michigan amsamuels New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! 3 05-26-2014 08:28 AM
2 1/2 Year Old Kick Out Of Daycare momagain Parents and Guardians Forum 12 04-29-2013 12:53 PM
How Do Your Older Kids Feel About Daycare? My4SunshineGirlsNY Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 21 02-24-2011 01:55 PM
Daycare Family Trying To Re-Collect Money Owed To A Provider! Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 46 02-22-2011 10:30 AM
Daycare Parents Handbook DancingQueen Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 24 12-04-2010 12:35 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:49 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming