Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Maternity Leave Policy
Dsquared 07:13 AM 08-29-2019
What is your maternity leave policy? I never have had one in my contract and now I’m regretting it. One mom is on leave now and was not planning on returning until November with both kids like it was no big deal. I told her she had to continue to bring big brother in order to hold the spots so she is bringing him 2 days a week. I have another family who mom is pregnant and due in the first week of October and supposedly goes back to work in January. She says to me “I hope you don’t think I’m a bad mom if I continue to bring son for a few days while I’m on leave” I need to have a discussion with her soon about how I can’t hold spots until January with her son only coming 2 days a week when he was previously full time. Do these parents not understand that we rely on this income?

Should I send her an email or talk to her in person? How do I say it in a nice way that she definitely has to continue bringing her son while on leave? Thank you!
CountryRoads 07:48 AM 08-29-2019
I had an "extended leave policy" in place, but took it out earlier this year. I realized how unfair it was to me.

My policy states "payment is required for all contracted days regardless of attendance."

I have a mom out on maternity leave right now, and she continues to pay all her contracted days. But, of course, it doesn't mean she's paying for nothing. She can bring dcb on any of her contracted days and has a guaranteed spot here. She recently started bringing him 1 day a week - but still pays for her 3 days she's contracted for.

Do you have anything in there about paying for a spot you could fall back on? I would let her know that while she doesn't need to bring her child everyday, she needs to pay for his spot or you will be looking for another child to care for. That's an income loss for you that you shouldn't be taking to benefit her. Maybe, just maybe, when you explain it like that, it will click with her that this is a business and you need to run it accordingly.
Dsquared 07:56 AM 08-29-2019
My contract states you are paying to hold a spot for your child. Payment is due in full whether your child comes or not. I just don’t having anything about maternity leave. But I guess that states right there she has to pay whether he comes or not. I’ll just have to tell her that.
Dsquared 08:01 AM 08-29-2019
I guess it’s just hard for me to tell her in person that she has to pay for the full week even if he doesn’t come everyday. I’m too nice I guess.
springv 08:39 AM 08-29-2019
In our center, the parents pay regardless. If they are out due to sickness, they can bring a doctors excuse and get a half rate
Snowmom 08:43 AM 08-29-2019
Originally Posted by Dsquared:
I guess it’s just hard for me to tell her in person that she has to pay for the full week even if he doesn’t come everyday. I’m too nice I guess.
Then write up your "extended leave/hold" policy and just hand it to her at pick up and say "this is the policy on extended maternity leave. Please review, sign at the bottom and return."

In my handbook, I state:
Extended Leave: please see Snowmom for the current hold policy.

I say that because I want to take it on a case by case basis. Sometimes I like lighter summers and will approve a half-rate tuition requirement to hold the spot. Sometimes, I won't hold at all, especially if I want them gone anyway. Sometimes, I require full rate (usually for a younger one that I can replace in a week).
Former Teacher 09:43 AM 08-29-2019
Do you have a certain time where the child(ren) must be dropped off at a certain time?

I ask because at my former center, this one family was on maternity leave and she would bring the other child (4 yo) at all hours of the day. She was really great at doing it right before nap
nanglgrl 10:31 AM 08-29-2019
Something to consider when your trying to have this conversation with the mom: how will you feel if, at the end of her maternity leave, she decides to be a SAHM and pull her children from care after you held the spots for free or a reduced rate for months? How would that affect you financially?

I bet every seasoned provider on here has a story of at least one (probably several) clients doing this before they adjusted to a policy that worked for them instead of trying to have their policy favor the parents needs.

Do what works for you, every family will do what works for them. It’s not unfair to parents, they are choosing you and your policies. If you live in an area with a shortage of infant care you have the advantage.
Ariana 10:45 AM 08-29-2019
Hmmm I don’t really discuss it. She has made a decision to drop to part time and I don’t do that so I would be looking to replace then give two weeks notice. Keep the income while you are looking. No hard feelings mom!
jenboo 01:46 PM 08-29-2019
Pay full fees or dont have a spot.
rosieteddy 03:41 PM 08-29-2019
My policy was "they owned the spot".I encouraged the parents to bring the child from at least 9am -3:30.I told them that it was nice for them to get the bonding time with their infant.The older sibling kept to their routine.I suggested the later drop off and earlier pickup so the sibling got some extra time.It was a rare parent who didn't use the days.
Annalee 05:53 AM 08-30-2019
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Pay full fees or dont have a spot.
Same here, I don't care if they bring the kids or not, just pay me on Monday Morning and we are good!
Tags:maternity leave, maternity leave contract, maternity leaves
Reply Up