Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Screaming, Shreiking and Aggression
wdmmom 10:26 AM 08-09-2011
I have an almost 2 year old girl that I've had in my daycare for 6 months. When she started, she did great! As she's gotten older, she's gotten progressively worse each day.

DCM changed her schedule over the summer so she's only been 3 days a week instead of the normal 5. She'll go back to full time in 2 weeks. The days that she is here are nightmare-ish!

Yesterday and today have been the Twilight Zone! She pulled a DCB's hair yesterday, attempted to sit on a child, and shreiked all day long. This morning she was good and as the day went on, she pulled the same DCB's hair and hit him in the head with a toy. I placed her in a time out where all she does is squeal and scream these high pitches screams.

I asked the DCM yesterday if she is around other children outside of the daycare. She is not. Her screams make younger DCB cry because he gets scared. I'm not sure what I can do other than separate her.

I'm really considering placing her on "probation" and if the aggression and screaming don't stop, she'll have to go. Do you think this is overreacting or does anyone have any suggestions on how to get her to stop? It's all day, everyday. There's not a particular time of day or incident where she is doing this.
Cat Herder 11:06 AM 08-09-2011
I would give a 30 day probation for the protection of other kids. You can give as little or as much as suits you, though.

I also would impose a screaming/tantrum time-limit. Mine is 4 hours, but you can pick your own.

If she screams for that amount of time, consistently... Mom must come get her. Have it written out in black and white with the probation notice for her to sign.

Sometimes it magically stops almost overnight once Mom has to sign the form.

That is how I handle screamers here.

(for unregistered posters. Professional Daycare providers know the difference between a "I am sad, scared, hurt, hungry or tired" cry. Control screaming, tantrums and aggression are another subject all together.)
wdmmom 11:14 AM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I would give a 30 day probation for the protection of other kids. You can give as little or as much as suits you, though.

I also would impose a screaming/tantrum time-limit. Mine is 4 hours, but you can pick your own.

If she screams for that amount of time, consistently... Mom must come get her. Have it written out in black and white with the probation notice for her to sign.

Sometimes it magically stops almost overnight once Mom has to sign the form.

That is how I handle screamers here.

(for unregistered posters. Professional Daycare providers know the difference between a "I am sad, scared, hurt, hungry or tired" cry. Control screaming, tantrums and aggression are another subject all together.)
Thanks, Cat!

I will issue the letter to DCM tomorrow. I think it's an issue of the parents giving her everything and lets her get away with anything. She can't do that here and if DCM & DCD aren't going to redirect her, I will redirect the family.

There's one thing with dealing with a tantrum thrower, a crying child, and a screamer! She's definitely a screamer! It makes my ears wanna bleed!
Tags:hitting, screamer, screams all day, tantrums
Reply Up