Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teething
Christian Mother 01:18 PM 10-10-2011
When do you think teething accrues? I have a 3 mo old little one who is drooling all over the place and always has her fit and fingers in her mouth. Is 3 mos to young for teething? What is a good soother for a infant to help them during this stage when they can't old anything quiet yet?
Kaddidle Care 01:30 PM 10-10-2011
While 6-8 months is the norm, some will teethe earlier. My own son got his first tooth at 3 1/2 months.

I found a wet clean wash cloth that has been frozen works well. Freeze it in a zip lock and take it out when it is frozen. Keep several rotating.

It is cool, absorbs drool and has texture. I did this as a Mom, not a caregiver - I have no idea if this is an accepted thing to do or not but it worked for my kids.
Blackcat31 01:40 PM 10-10-2011
My son got his first tooth at 2 months old. My daughter got her first one at 9months.

One of my girlfriends had a daughter who was born with two teeth so I don't think anything is out of the norm.
SilverSabre25 01:47 PM 10-10-2011
3 months is not unreasonable to be feeling teething discomfort, although it could take a few months for those first teeth to appear. Drooling is fairly normal that age, as is sucking/chewing on fists and fingers.

HOWEVER that being said, there is, IME, a distinct difference between just playing with the hands and teething with the hands. It seems that when it's teething pain, baby is going to be doing more chewing and biting on the hands, biting down HARD on your finger if you put it in there, fussing for no apparent reason, acting hungry but pushing to bottle away after just a few sucks. You might be able to feel a swollen area on the gum or see a swollen area/dark shadow on the gum.

I'm right there with DS; he's 4 months and has been working this teething thing for about three weeks now. His cousin just cut her teeth at 4 months and I can see in DS's mouth where they're getting ready to come through. Actually, he is biting contentedly on the fingers of one hand while I type this with the other.
Christian Mother 01:51 PM 10-10-2011
Thanks ladies!! I am not lic. so i think it would be fine for me to use a frozen wash cloth for this little one. I have baby wash clothes I could use.. I think I will let it sit for a bit though so it isn't to frozen. I'm afraid of frost bit on her...what do you think? Then again if it is not cold enough then it will be wet all over her...lol! She coming tomorrow but mom said she was keeping her home today bc she has been screaming all day. I would of only had her for a few hrs today so it really wouldn't have been a problem. I told mom she could bring her to me to get a break. She isn't here as of yet so my thoughts are she was able to take off of work. What do you think of teething tablets...I used them on my daughter..she was 6mos though.
SilverSabre25 01:56 PM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
Thanks ladies!! I am not lic. so i think it would be fine for me to use a frozen wash cloth for this little one. I have baby wash clothes I could use.. I think I will let it sit for a bit though so it isn't to frozen. I'm afraid of frost bit on her...what do you think? Then again if it is not cold enough then it will be wet all over her...lol! She coming tomorrow but mom said she was keeping her home today bc she has been screaming all day. I would of only had her for a few hrs today so it really wouldn't have been a problem. I told mom she could bring her to me to get a break. She isn't here as of yet so my thoughts are she was able to take off of work. What do you think of teething tablets...I used them on my daughter..she was 6mos though.
Well, personally I would have no problems giving teething tablets to a baby that age. There's no actual "medicine" in them, and so distilled from the original plant that there's really no harm in them. That's why homeopathic things are so useful. You could definitely suggest them to her mom. Also, I've been using some teething drops with DS--Gentle Naturals brand. They work pretty well, though not as well as the tablets. I found them in the regular grocery store, with the other teething relief agents.

There have been several times over the past few weeks when DS was just fussy, fussy, fussy and wouldn't even eat. I gave him the drops, he settled right now, and in minutes was eating and falling fast asleep. So, there's definite benefits.
Christian Mother 02:12 PM 10-10-2011
That is what I am thinking too...I used the teething tablets with both my children when they where teething and they really did work wonders. I will talk it over with dcm. She is a young new mother and just really a pleasure. She asks all sorts of questions but it's been 2 1/2 yrs since I've had a baby in my home and I am just now feeling my around it again..lol!!

Like you said Silver...dcg is very fussy and biting on her hands and tons of drawl. She seems to sleep pretty good. An hr around 10am and then another hr around 1pm. But, her bottles,...she should drink about 4 oz. She drinks 2 1/2 and then stops to burp and then plays with it...chows...then goes right back to wanting the rest of it an hr late. Poor dear!!
caligirl 02:15 PM 10-10-2011
One of the infants I have here started teething at 2 months, her first tooth popped out at 3 months....... I've had infants get teeth as early as 2 months and as late as 14 months........you just never know
daycare 02:27 PM 10-10-2011
My first child had all of this teeth oncluding molars by age 9months..

I think its possible. I would try to sooth him as suggested here. It won't hurt him, so why not try to see if it will help...
Christian Mother 02:27 PM 10-10-2011
Oh goodness..lol!! I did check in side her mouth last week but I didn't see anything unusual... I do think though that she is def. teething. I just messaged her mom to look up teething tablets. I have a full bottle here. I bought it for one of my dcb's when he was a yr old but he didn't need it much. I don't see an expiration date on the bottle do u think it would still be good?
SilverSabre25 02:31 PM 10-10-2011
Oh goodness..lol!! I did check in side her mouth last week but I didn't see anything unusual... I do think though that she is def. teething. I just messaged her mom to look up teething tablets. I have a full bottle here. I bought it for one of my dcb's when he was a yr old but he didn't need it much. I don't see an expiration date on the bottle do u think it would still be good?
Yes, it would still be good. Homeopathic remedies last a very long time. There's nothing in them that expires.
Christian Mother 02:35 PM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Yes, it would still be good. Homeopathic remedies last a very long time. There's nothing in them that expires.
Perfect!! We have a sprout's out here and they have really good Homeopathic remedies. I want to try all of them..lol!! But there exsp.
bice99 02:37 PM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Well, personally I would have no problems giving teething tablets to a baby that age. There's no actual "medicine" in them, and so distilled from the original plant that there's really no harm in them. That's why homeopathic things are so useful. You could definitely suggest them to her mom. Also, I've been using some teething drops with DS--Gentle Naturals brand. They work pretty well, though not as well as the tablets. I found them in the regular grocery store, with the other teething relief agents.

There have been several times over the past few weeks when DS was just fussy, fussy, fussy and wouldn't even eat. I gave him the drops, he settled right now, and in minutes was eating and falling fast asleep. So, there's definite benefits.
We LOVED hyland's teething tablets. But last year they recalled them
SilverSabre25 02:37 PM 10-10-2011
Yeah they are pretty pricey, but so worth it! I grew up using them and vastly prefer them to traditional meds.
SilverSabre25 02:40 PM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by bice99:
We LOVED hyland's teething tablets. But last year they recalled them
They have been released again with a new, more effective formula. The recall was totally voluntary.

http://www.hylandsteething.com/faqs/
Can you tell us why Hyland’s took Teething Tablets off the market?

Hyland’s voluntarily took Teething Tablets off the market in October 2010. We chose to exercise an abundance of caution by making this decision. Hyland’s and the FDA conducted a thorough review of all of our manufacturing processes and reports. Together, we identified manufacturing processes of Teething Tablets that could be improved to ensure uniformity in dosage. We also used this opportunity to refine the production, packaging and testing protocols on this product.
Why did it take so long for you to get them back on the market?

Following the FDA’s report, we performed a complete review of our manufacturing and other internal processes. This resulted in improvements across the board — validation of equipment, development of advanced testing protocols, packaging and formula updates, and enhancements to our adverse events reporting process. In the end, it was all worth it but indeed – it took a bit of time! Thank you for your patience. We know it has not been easy for many to endure teething without Hyland’s Baby Teething Tablets and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience to your family.
What are the major differences between the original and the Hyland’s Baby Teething Tablets being distributed now?

We’ve added a child-resistant cap and updated the packaging and are introducing new strengths of the same ingredients that have calmed teething babies and their moms for more than 85 years. However, the most significant changes to the product are also the most invisible to you. We have made significant changes in our manufacturing process and introduced rigorous testing protocols. We can say with confidence that our Hyland’s Baby Teething Tablets go through the most rigorous testing protocols of any homeopathic baby product on the market today. Our manufacturing and testing processes are now even more precise, thus assuring you’ll get the same great results from Hyland’s Baby Teething Tablets – and that’s the best news of all.
How is this formula different from the original? Is it as effective?

We have kept all of the same ingredients that have made Hyland’s Baby Teething Tablets effective and safe for 85 years and improved effectiveness by increasing the homeopathic potency of each active ingredient. As homeopathic potency increases, raw drug concentration decreases, providing an even wider margin of safety than before.
Why is the new product more expensive than the original Hyland’s Baby Teething Tablets?

We have tried very much to shield our customers from the expense of these improvements (see above details). The price increase per bottle to you only partially offsets the increase in our manufacturing and analytical testing costs.
When and where can I find the new Hyland’s Baby Teething Tablets?

We expect Hyland’s Baby Teething Tablets will be available at all major pharmacies, groceries, natural foods stores, supercenters, and online retailers around mid-August to the beginning of September.
Kaddidle Care 02:55 PM 10-10-2011
Thanks ladies!! I am not lic. so i think it would be fine for me to use a frozen wash cloth for this little one. I have baby wash clothes I could use.. I think I will let it sit for a bit though so it isn't to frozen. I'm afraid of frost bit on her...what do you think? Then again if it is not cold enough then it will be wet all over her...lol! .
I'd use a bigger one - baby wash cloths may be small enough that she can get the whole thing in her mouth. Just wet it and wring it out good before you freeze it - you don't want it sopping wet. A good sturdy cloth, no frays.

I don't recall any problem with frost bite. With anything that she's putting in her mouth you have to keep an eye on her - but I'm sure you know that already.
Christian Mother 02:58 PM 10-10-2011
Love Love Love this new inform. which will really be helpful for my new parents in knowing there baby is safe in taking this.
Tags:teething
Reply Up