Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Ideas Please
AnythingsPossible 10:55 AM 10-27-2011
I need some help with the play kitchen I bought from another daycare lady. First off, I am majorly regretting my decision, but I don't know if that will change after I set it up differently.

Can anyone give me advice on how you would set this up in your daycare? I am thinking of taking the tall cabinet out of the kitchen set up and using it as arts and crafts storage. My main issue is that they aren't really using it as a kitchen. The main play with it is opening the doors and trying to climb inside of it. Wishing I would've just bought a little plastic kitchen frankly.

So if anyone can give me some ideas on how to set up my kitchen so they will actually use as such, I would love to hear them. Ideas on making it more appealing to them, or the like. I am thinking about paining them, but don't know yet for sure.
Attached: kitchen.jpg (67.9 KB) 
Blackcat31 11:28 AM 10-27-2011
OOOOO! I have a fancy plastic kitchen that I would trade for that kitchen in a heartbeat. Wish you lived closer!!

I think that painting it might be fun...try using magnetic paint so they can put magnets and stuff on the fridge like in real life.

I don't really have any more advice but I sure to LOVE it!!!
mismatchedsocks 11:40 AM 10-27-2011
I love it!!!
I would take the tall cabinet out as well.

get some parents to donate cardboard boxes from cereal and snacks. then you can use those in the cabinet and they can see real items on the shelves. Also put cash register near with paper. I also have a large checkered fabric folded in one drawer of mine, and they use that as table cloth for fancy restaurant.
MNmamaOf4 11:42 AM 10-27-2011
Awesome kitchen! I want one! My daughters would LOVE that. We had a bulky plastic kitchen that they got bored with, so we sold it, but they've been asking for a kitchen again.
Cat Herder 11:44 AM 10-27-2011
Those are exactly what I want to buy in the worst way...

They are awesome!!

I'd just grab my Phillips head and take the doors off, wrap them up and store them in the attic.

Toss in a few baskets full of veggies, fruits and kitchenwares and run with it. (maybe even a plastic 3 tiered hanging basket)

I take the doors off of everything, now. (all 2 and under)
SunflowerMama 11:44 AM 10-27-2011
I love it too!!

I agree with adding some "real" props and maybe a little vase with fake flowers the kids could add to the table.

I'm sure with a few little accessories they'll starting using it more like a kitchen.

Love it!!
laundrymom 11:48 AM 10-27-2011
I would get them out from the wall if possible. Maybe making an island out of the stove/sink. That is Soooo cool!!!
Heidi 11:52 AM 10-27-2011
I have the same one, only mine is 15 years old. I lent to a friend for 10 years, and she let the kids use real water on it, so it looks pretty beat up.

Try gluing down the sink, mine like to yank it out otherwise, and a new one cost me $25.

My kids all love playing kitchen with it, but the youngest toddlers do spend a lot of time banging the doors and stuff. They can't climb in, though, because there are shelves inside.
melskids 11:55 AM 10-27-2011
does the tall cabinet have shelves? if you dont need it for the kitchen area, you could hang a rod in it and use it as an "armoire" for dress up clothes!
permanentvacation 11:59 AM 10-27-2011
I won't use a plastic kitchen in my daycare again! They just pull it over on themselves in my daycare!

If your kids aren't using it correctly, maybe you can do 1 of 2 things. 1. Put it in storage in another area of your home and bring it back in the daycare when your group shows more interest in using a kitchen set properly.
2. See if you can set it up in an area they can't get to on their own and use it only when you take them to the kitchen area and really stay with them to monitor them, play with them, and teach them how to play kitchen.
AnythingsPossible 12:02 PM 10-27-2011
Thanks everyone for the replies. The tall cabinet does have shelves in it, so dress up wouldn't work, I am also sad to say I don't do a dress up area with my kids Just have never gotten stuff for dress up.

Love the idea of taking the doors off. My main group is 2 and under and they are the ones playing with the doors, but I want it available for my older girls. I really like the cash register idea as well. I was thinking of adding some realistic props to encourage them to play with it more. I thought about getting one of the little bottles of dish soap and emptying it out and putting that by the sink. I need to get a new faucet for it, and also a new basin that they can use as a sink as right now there is just a hole. I was super excited when I found it for sale, but so far it hasn't worked out as well as I had hoped so hopefully with some of your great suggestions play time will be on! Oh, I also will be moving it away from the wall. You all ROCK!
Heidi 12:06 PM 10-27-2011
goodwill=best dress up clothes...I keep mine simple, though, mostly hats and big square scarves, and the smallest sized ladies dress up shoes they have.
Country Kids 08:47 PM 10-27-2011
If it doesn't work out, I'll drive whereever you are and get it-. Mine would love something like that!
melskids 04:08 AM 10-28-2011
Originally Posted by bbo:
goodwill=best dress up clothes...I keep mine simple, though, mostly hats and big square scarves, and the smallest sized ladies dress up shoes they have.
that's what i do. ive also gotten stuff from some of my DC parents who are nurses, construction, etc.

Also, last year after halloween, i got tons of costumes at walmart for 75 cents!!!!!
Tags:layout, play kitchen
Reply Up