Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Feel Like Such A Bad Provider!!
Unregistered 05:03 PM 05-03-2012
I'm a regular, but logged out for privacy. I'm so completely frustrated today!

I've been a home daycare provider for 4 years and I've never felt so completely crazy as I did today

First off, I've been feeling a little more rundown than usual lately and I've decided to offer a 9-hour cap each day, for each child. I have 6 children who are here from open to close and their behavior is becoming too wonky for group care. Our usual relaxed environment has turned too chaotic for me and I want to nip this in the bud now! Not only did the parents of my open-to-closers complain, but FIVE of my other parents "expressed" concern about my new policy. Two of them bring their kids from 9-3 and still had a problem. This really set me off on a bad mood this morning.

Continuing on......they all must have fed their kids soda and candy because the behavior from each and every single one of them was off the wall. Talking back - never had this problem! Throwing toys and books - never happens! Crappy naps - unheard of here! You can bet that I had these problems today. Four of my kids never took a nap and the others woke up after just 1 hour of sleep. Two screamed for the entire afternoon and by this point I feel so completely unhappy that I sent the kids outside to play with my assistants. I took Tylenol for my headache, drank two glasses of soda and munched on some white cheddar popcorn until the kids were brought back in.

I was finally feeling refreshed until parents started arriving. Because of their horrible behavior, all of the kids were sitting down reading books. All but 1 of my parents had something to say about how "boring" it must be not getting to play or how "sad" their kid looked or how the kids "never" behave like this at home.

One of my few highlights of the day was that my assistants were working so hard to help me with the kids that I'm going to give them a bonus. I know my bad mood was noticable but they were a HUGE help today. I know I would have stopped to cry if they hadn't had been here.

My last kid just left a little bit ago and I wanted to vent to get it off my chest.

Does anyone have any advice about keeping your head above water on days the universe is against you? I've never had a day like today and I'm embarrassed to say that I was so excited up see my kids leave home. I hate to feel like this

Thanks in advance.
Soccermom 06:18 PM 05-03-2012
In my experience kids tend to really feed off the emotions of their caregivers. Meaning that when the provider is feeling out of sorts, the children will sense that and in turn act out. My advice for days like this is to grab a cup of tea and take some good deeps breaths. Try to focus on the positive things in your life and be proud of yourself for making the needed changes to your daycare hours.
I put on some relaxing music and try to just take a moment and snuggle up with the kids and look at books. Before you know it your mood changes and so does the kids' behavior
MizzCheryl 06:33 PM 05-03-2012
Sorry to hear about your bad day. You are blessed to have assistants that step up and help you.
It will get better.
I wish I had a magic pill that could solve the problem. If it help I will tell you that you are not alone. I have had days when I wondered what I was doing and why I chose to work with kids. Then I remeber my first grade teacher that grabed my arm and squeezed it very hard and yelled at me to stop talking when we were standing in line. I wasn't talking it was the girl in front of me.
I remember that is why I became a provider. I wanted kids to have fun and have a great time playing and feeling loved.

Sometimes we have to rememer what it is we love about the job and get inspired again.

Ya know it ain't cause we just love kids...
Cause if it is you haven't met some of the kids I have had.

Soccermom is right. Kids have some kind of sixth sense to know...wow mom or caregiver feels bad. Lets see what we can get away with.

Oh and 9 hours is a plenty in childcare. You are doing those kids a favor.

Hope you feel better!
Meeko 06:09 AM 05-04-2012
Don't feel bad. We all have "those" days every now and then.

It actually happens in ANY job...not just child care.

I used to manage a store in the local mall. We sold glass We had a resident glass blower. We made glass wedding cake toppers, glass LDS temples, glass animals and gifts etc etc. Most of the time I loved working with the brides and helping them decide on the perfect cake topper or helping them design one for our glass blower to make.

But every now and then...instead of happy, smiling brides-to-be....we would get an handful of "Bridezilla's". They always seemed to come on the same day! I would be completely burned out by the time I got home!!!

I try and remember that on the days I feel the day care kids are out to get me!
Ariana 09:39 AM 05-04-2012
We all have those days!! I usually will pop on a movie and make popcorn or bring them all to the park or something. I don't have that many kids though....but I've definately had those types of days where nothing goes right!!
Nellie 11:08 AM 05-04-2012
Sorry about your bad day. When I have a bad day, I try to let all expectations go and try to go with what the group will exceed at. Taking them outside was a great move. I've sat and read books for an hour, let the dishes go, and not worry about the mess. I feel like you did good. You took them outside(something in the summer that I will do if it a bad day). Don't worry about what parents said. They were not in your shoes.
Christian Mother 01:23 PM 05-04-2012
Ohh girlie...I am sorry you had a rough day!! This week for me has been like that for me so I understand what you going though. Thank goodness for assistants!!

For me..mother nature decided to show up..glad it's a Fri. but it does def. answer why I felt so rundown all week and a little frazzled!!

The kids do since when a provider isn't at their best and they will just use that time to just pull all kinds of craziness. When I feel like those times specially now I just prepare the parents at drop off. I tell them that I'm not feeling so well today so we are going to have a relaxing day. You see use providers...we don't take days off, vacations, sick days, how can we when we are always there for the families.. so when I feel like I am going to have one of those days I feel like I'm untitled to at least change to day to better suite me and not the kids. Grab a movie eat some popcorn snuggle all together with pillows and blankets and relax. I only have 4 kids 2 are babies so for me it's pretty easy to manage my day. It happens...you know...just go with the flow and try not to beat your self up. Sometimes a change in the day schedule will make everyone much happier!!
Tags:burnt out
Reply Up