Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ever Seen A Harness For 5 Kids?
Lorna 08:55 AM 08-27-2013
Hello,

The daycare that my daughter used to go to used to have an alligator that had straps to strap in each child. Then an adult walked in the front or middle. So the kids could get used to walking together. Would love to buy something like that for my daycare kids. They are all around 18 months to 24 months. Would be perfect to get them walking but be able to keep them together.

Anyone see anything like that for sale? I've seen separate harnesses but dont' think that would work.

Thanks
daycare 09:00 AM 08-27-2013
I have the same one you are talking about, but I don't think that it would work with such young children.

I have a 4 seat buggy that I used for children under 2.
Familycare71 09:00 AM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by Lorna:
Hello,

The daycare that my daughter used to go to used to have an alligator that had straps to strap in each child. Then an adult walked in the front or middle. So the kids could get used to walking together. Would love to buy something like that for my daycare kids. They are all around 18 months to 24 months. Would be perfect to get them walking but be able to keep them together.

Anyone see anything like that for sale? I've seen separate harnesses but dont' think that would work.

Thanks
With separate you would look like you were walking a pack of kids!
Lorna 09:04 AM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have the same one you are talking about, but I don't think that it would work with such young children.

I have a 4 seat buggy that I used for children under 2.
Where did you get it from? Have you seen them online? I don't plan to go far with the kids. But a good way to get them started. All of them are closer to 24 months. Definitely good walkers.
Lorna 09:04 AM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
With separate you would look like you were walking a pack of kids!
lol I loved those harnesses to use with my twins. But over 2 kids would never work.
Meeko 09:42 AM 08-27-2013
I think they are called a Walk-o-dile??? I have been thinking of something similar too.
blandino 09:42 AM 08-27-2013
I am looking into a walk-a-dile. The concept is similar to a harness.
Meeko 09:49 AM 08-27-2013
I think they are called a Walk-o-dile??? I have been thinking of something similar too.

http://youtu.be/gmg5k7JhUrw
melilley 09:50 AM 08-27-2013
Discount School Supply sells the walk-o-dile, but it's expensive! Maybe you can find it on Amazon or Ebay cheaper.
Here is the link for DSC: http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...?product=28567

Lianne 09:54 AM 08-27-2013
I have one of these that I've been trying to give away but none seems to want it. It just didn't work for my group of kids.
daycare 10:19 AM 08-27-2013
yes its called a walk-o-dile....worth every penny.....'
I found peace when we got this.
Maria2013 10:22 AM 08-27-2013
lol I loved those harnesses to use with my twins. But over 2 kids would never work.
I liked the idea but never tried one! I thought if one kid fell the rest of them would follow
nanglgrl 10:39 AM 08-27-2013
I bought a 6 child walkodile for my group of then 2 year olds.it can be adjusted for 4 or even 2 children. I was so excited to use it and then we went on a walk and it was horrible. Even though they are similar in age they all walk at different paces so we kind of looked like human dominoes walking down the street. Lol. It also took forever to go on even a short walk. I've since purchased a 6 seater Bye Bye Buggy and our walks are so much more fun. We stop at places along the way and they all get out and run/explore do they still get the exercise without falling down every few minutes.
Lorna 10:49 AM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by Lianne:
I have one of these that I've been trying to give away but none seems to want it. It just didn't work for my group of kids.
Want to ship it to Canada?
Lorna 10:57 AM 08-27-2013
I'll look around and see if I can find a better price. a Little too pircey for us. We do have a choo choo wagon that holds 5 kids. But this I was thinking would be nice to get the kids walking together.
daycare 11:23 AM 08-27-2013
I love mine. It did take awhile to figure out a good method.

we have the same kids go to the same place each and every time. This way we don't have to adjust the straps. We also have the smaller kids walk in the front with a similar size kid and the bigger kids walk in the back. Eventually they all learn to walk at the same pace.

I actually have 2 of them because I have 12 kids daily
Blackcat31 12:09 PM 08-27-2013
I just use a simple walking rope.

I'm uncomfortable actually harnessing a kid to something or someone else so we just use a regular old rope with loops (and ribbons) tied onto it. Each child hangs onto a ring. The ends are both held by an adult.

If someone trips or stumbles, it doesn't take the whole group down with them.

It is similar to this but much more "primitive"

blandino 12:21 PM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I'm uncomfortable actually harnessing a kid to something or someone else so we just use a regular old rope with loops (and ribbons) tied onto it. Each child hangs onto a ring. The ends are both held by an adult.

See I had trouble with this method, because the kids walk at different speeds. We had two very pokey turtles when we bought one. So we would have a ton of slack in some segments and some pulling others.
daycare 12:25 PM 08-27-2013

I used to use this one above, until I had a child let go of it and cross the street and a child let go of it. It could have been the end of my business, so I bought this and would buy recommend it to anyone.
Blackcat31 02:55 PM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
See I had trouble with this method, because the kids walk at different speeds. We had two very pokey turtles when we bought one. So we would have a ton of slack in some segments and some pulling others.
Yep, I have a pokey one too. I buddy the kids up though (usually one older, one younger) so it helps keep the pace.

Originally Posted by daycare:
I used to use this one above, until I had a child let go of it and cross the street and a child let go of it. It could have been the end of my business, so I bought this and would buy recommend it to anyone.
As for a kid letting go and taking off, I haven't had that happen, thank goodness, but I do walk with 2 ADULTS at ALL times.

One in front and one behind so the kids are sandwiched in between.
daycare 02:59 PM 08-27-2013
same here, always two adults...

All that I have to say is thank god that I can run fast, because the kid lost their shoe while crossing the street and tried to go back to get it. I did not even see the shoe come off.

We were almost to the sidewalk when the child let go and went right back out into the street.

I had to let go of my end of the rope and run after the kid. The kid moved fast, thank god I moved faster......

I do still use the one that you posted if we will not be crossing the street, like just walking on a hike where no way they could get hit by a car.
spud912 03:05 PM 08-27-2013

I have this exact one. I only use it long enough to get the group accustomed to my walking rules. I must be extremely strict with my walking rules because NOBODY violates the rules. If I have a runner, they go on the "leash" which is basically a rope with a velcro wrist strap on the end. It's very hard to remove. I almost always take the wagon and the two youngest sit in there. If they are prone to getting up, I put the seat belt on.

My rules are this:
I'm pretty sure I have about 10,000 other rules . It sounds like I'm really mean on my walks but in reality the kids catch onto the rules very quickly and they rarely if ever challenge me. Most of the time we talk about the plants, weather, animals, our families and upcoming events and our theme for the week. We take a lot of walks and long walks at that....the kids love to explore and find things. I'm proud to say that most of my older group can name and identify most of the common plants and which ones are poisonous.
Hunni Bee 03:20 PM 08-27-2013
I'm surprised that others have had so much trouble walking kids.

I walked up to ten kids with no rope...even though those kids had issues, I rarely had trouble on field trips, walks, etc.

I guess because I didn't spare consequences with stuff like that...they knew we would leave immediately and not go anywhere else for a long time, plus lose some privileges at daycare.

Looking back, it probably wasn't the safest idea in that world, although we never had any incidents and we walked quite often. God was with us. Before I found this forum, I was basically on my own...
Lianne 08:08 PM 08-27-2013
Want to ship it to Canada?
I'm IN Canada! Ontario, actually, lol. Where are you?
Lianne 08:13 PM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by spud912:
I have this exact one. I only use it long enough to get the group accustomed to my walking rules. I must be extremely strict with my walking rules because NOBODY violates the rules. If I have a runner, they go on the "leash" which is basically a rope with a velcro wrist strap on the end. It's very hard to remove. I almost always take the wagon and the two youngest sit in there. If they are prone to getting up, I put the seat belt on.

My rules are this:
  • You must walk on the sidewalk
  • No walking in people's yards
  • No walking in the street
  • You must hold my hand or the extension of my group (either someone else holding my hand or a hand on the wagon I'm pulling) to cross the street.
  • No picking up things from neighbor's yards.
  • You may only pick up things from the community areas and you must get permission from me first.
  • Only pick flowers I designate as non-poisonous and acceptable to pick (as in, only in the community areas).
  • No throwing anything.
  • You must walk in my near vicinity.
  • Follow acceleration/stop commands from me
  • No touching dogs unless you ask the people walking them FIRST
  • No running unless I give the verbal ok

I'm pretty sure I have about 10,000 other rules . It sounds like I'm really mean on my walks but in reality the kids catch onto the rules very quickly and they rarely if ever challenge me. Most of the time we talk about the plants, weather, animals, our families and upcoming events and our theme for the week. We take a lot of walks and long walks at that....the kids love to explore and find things. I'm proud to say that most of my older group can name and identify most of the common plants and which ones are poisonous.
This is the one I have. My problem with it, as the only adult with a young group (12mos-3yrs), was that in order to lead the children I had to be in the front and that meant having my back to them unless I wanted to walk backwards the entire way. With my back to them, anything could happen. One could let go and wander, someone could snatch the kid at the end, etc. If I walked at the back so I could see the kids, they couldn't figure out how to...walk...straight. It was like herding turtles on speed.
Tags:walking harness, walking ropes
Reply Up