Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Discount Discount Discount
daycare 07:41 AM 04-29-2011
I made a post yesterday about a family and the loss that I was taking due to the part time schedule and the discount that I am giving them. I am already taking over a $1000.00 due to discount and P/T schedule that i have allowed.

Now this family is wanting more discount.

Mom will go out on maternity leave and wants to drop both kids to only 2 days a week, thats over $100.00 a week loss more.

I am posting again, because I really did ask clearly what I was hoping for in return.

My question is, would you sit down and show the family financially WHY you just cant offer any further discount?
Meyou 07:49 AM 04-29-2011
I wouldn't break it down for them but I would explain that financially you cannot afford to operate offering parttime or discounted care so they need to pay full price or look elsewhere for care within a certain time frame.
daycare 07:51 AM 04-29-2011
Heres the thing, i still want to offer part time care. I just don't want to give any more discount... The mom feels since she is going to be taking a pay cut tha i should have to take one too.....
Meyou 07:55 AM 04-29-2011
Then use the same line of reasoning saying that you can't offer 2 days a week instead of 3 or further discounts because you can't afford to work less. You might want to also point out that the PT care you're offering them now ultimately leaves you short on other days so you're already doing them several favors.
daycare 08:00 AM 04-29-2011
so just point it out verbally... uuugghhh why did I even put myself in this position...lol
WDW 08:18 AM 04-29-2011
I don't think you need to give them any numbers. Either you can do it, or you can't. If you decide you can't, just tell them that. If they value you, they will pay, if not, you can fill those spots with full time kids and no discounts....
Symphony 08:19 AM 04-29-2011
I tell parents I am happy to offer the discount price and the loss of a day if they can bring me a family who is wanting the day they are stopping.

So if they are a MWF family and they want to be MW, if they can find someone to fill the F spot, I am happy to offer the discount.
Pammie 08:59 AM 04-29-2011
I personally don't think it's a good idea to share the specifics of dollars and cents of your business with your clients. You're running a business that she pays for your services - either you choose to/can accommodate her request or you choose not to/can't.

I know you want her to appreciate the deal that you're already giving her - and for her to understand just what the "deal" that she's getting means to your business. But I'd bet that all she really cares about is how it affects her pocketbook - not yours.

Think of it this way. Stores offer "loss leaders" all the time. Items that they sell at significant discount (often at a loss) just to get the customer in the store with the hopes that the customer will buy additional items once they're there. If you go to that store and only buy the loss leader items - does the store owner stop you at the door and show you his spreadsheet about all of his expenses and how you are causing his business a loss by purchasing only the "loss leader" items?? Your client is getting a "loss leader" type deal on her daycare. She's getting a deal by getting terrific daycare at such a low rate. Is is wrong for her to ask you to make additional "deals" to keep her kids - not necessarily, because you have the option to simply say "no".

It would be wonderful if out of the goodness of her heart, she offers to pay you the full amount for the roster spots that she's taking. Bet she won't though. It's up to you, as the business owner, to set the prices that you're willing to take for the work that you do.

Just my opinion. Wish you the best
countrymom 09:05 AM 04-29-2011
listen, its not your problem that mom is going to have a pay cut. You already screwed yourself by offering a discount. So Just tell mom that the answer is no. What is she going to do, pull the kids, well if she does then that means that money and not care was her concern. I don't budge from my price for this whole reason, I don't care, its not like people who work in other industries go in and bargin their wages for lower.
daycare 09:27 AM 04-29-2011
Originally Posted by Pammie:
I personally don't think it's a good idea to share the specifics of dollars and cents of your business with your clients. You're running a business that she pays for your services - either you choose to/can accommodate her request or you choose not to/can't.

I know you want her to appreciate the deal that you're already giving her - and for her to understand just what the "deal" that she's getting means to your business. But I'd bet that all she really cares about is how it affects her pocketbook - not yours.

Think of it this way. Stores offer "loss leaders" all the time. Items that they sell at significant discount (often at a loss) just to get the customer in the store with the hopes that the customer will buy additional items once they're there. If you go to that store and only buy the loss leader items - does the store owner stop you at the door and show you his spreadsheet about all of his expenses and how you are causing his business a loss by purchasing only the "loss leader" items?? Your client is getting a "loss leader" type deal on her daycare. She's getting a deal by getting terrific daycare at such a low rate. Is is wrong for her to ask you to make additional "deals" to keep her kids - not necessarily, because you have the option to simply say "no".

It would be wonderful if out of the goodness of her heart, she offers to pay you the full amount for the roster spots that she's taking. Bet she won't though. It's up to you, as the business owner, to set the prices that you're willing to take for the work that you do.

Just my opinion. Wish you the best
well said and great points.... I decided that I am just going to draft a letter to all families (not to single anyone out) stating that as of July , I will only offer full time care. My husband has to go back to medical school in August and we will be losing some of his income. I guess I need to really think about the long run and not focus on the now.
cheerfuldom 09:33 AM 04-29-2011
and don't forget to include that part time DAYS are okay provided full time RATE is paid. good luck!
missnikki 09:49 AM 04-29-2011
I think you are right, the long run is what is going to get us all through the lean times. If you think full time only is the way to go, pull that trigger soon. And for goodness sakes, no more discounts!!!
Live and Learn 09:56 AM 04-29-2011
Ok, gotta ask....
Is this the same family who hasn't been bringing diapers?
daycare 09:57 AM 04-29-2011
Originally Posted by missnikki:
I think you are right, the long run is what is going to get us all through the lean times. If you think full time only is the way to go, pull that trigger soon. And for goodness sakes, no more discounts!!!
lmao.... you know when i moved my DC up to northen cali 3 years ago, i told myself dont make the mistakes you already made...

so why did I do it again....you woudl think that one would learn their lesson...

Bottom line....I am the biggest sucker for kids...all kids....well under 12....hahhha not much for the teenie boopers.....

Once I see a face of a child i melt and my brain goes out the window....

last year my daughter had a yard sale in efforts to raise money for her backpack trip this year.......She kicked me out of the yard sale because i would see little kids coming and give everything away for free.....lol
Tags:discount, part time
Reply Up