Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wwyd?
Msdunny 06:40 PM 12-21-2012
I asked one of my DCMs on Monday what her schedule would look like the week of Christmas. She and her husband are off Mon. thru Wed. None of my other DCKs will be here (teachers' kids), so yay for me, an extra day off, right?!

When that mom got here today to pick up her kids, I said, "So, I'll see you guys next Thursday!", to which she answered, " no, Wednesday." I then reminded her that she had already told me that they would have M - W off. She said, "yes, but you are only taking Monday and Tuesday off, so we were going to bring the kids so we can get things done around the house." I told her that I had already made plans, and wouldn't be available on Wednesday. Now I am feeling guilty.

So what would you have done in this situation? I can always call and tell her I will open up for her two. TIA
SilverSabre25 06:56 PM 12-21-2012
Would have done exactly what you did.

she told you, she didn't specify, it's entirely possible to--GASP--get stuff done around the house WITH the kids around!

Do NOT feel guilty; she's the one that made the mistake, not you. You were entirely within your rights to respond the way you did.

Enjoy your time off!
Msdunny 06:58 PM 12-21-2012
Let me add: the " plans" I made include spending the day with my daughter, who helps me out during the week. I was hoping to do a little post-holiday shopping with her.
kitykids3 06:58 PM 12-21-2012
i would stay closed. Why go back and change it? So that they know they can have 'wiggle room'? I dislike parents messing with schedules. You have plans Wednesday and they were off, so leave it. Plus why change your plans so they can get stuff done, but aren't working.
Msdunny 07:00 PM 12-21-2012
Thanks SilverSaber - I must have been posting at the same time you were!
Unregistered 07:02 PM 12-21-2012
I was hoping that I could have Wednesday off as well, but no, I have my parents visiting so I was hoping. I will only have one, so that will help a ton...

If you made plans then stick to them.
SilverSabre25 07:02 PM 12-21-2012
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
Thanks SilverSaber - I must have been posting at the same time you were!
lol probably.

You could be flying to the moon for all that it matters--time with your daughter sounds precious and perfect!!

even if my plans for a day like that included nothing more than sleeping in and loafing around in my pj's all day...they are still plans and I won't let a dcf change them without a VERY good reason--and cleaning sans kids is NOT one of them!!
cheerfuldom 07:28 PM 12-21-2012
I have never cancelled a day off and reopened the daycare since I started daycare over 5 years ago. If you do it once, the families are going to think that your days off are negotiable and can be changed last minute.
MamaG 11:02 PM 12-21-2012
You did the right thing and have no reason to feel guilty. Dcm knows you asked about her schedule so you'd know what days they were going to need you. You didn't ask for the fun of it! If she had wanted care Wednesday shed have said well I'm off m-t-w but could you take kids w? I'd really like a mommy n daddy day to get some extra stuff done and relax just two of us a bit? I could bring them in a bit later so you won't have to get up early?

That would be the proper response from dcm.
JenNJ 05:01 AM 12-22-2012
You asked and she told you when they would be off. Her indecisiveness does have a consequence. If she had told you M-T from the beginning, you would have worked. But changing her mind doesn't impact you one way or another.

Take your day off and enjoy it!
Holiday Park 07:50 AM 12-22-2012
I have a similar problem ! But what makes it worse is I have no contract or handbook yet,as it won't go in effect until Jan 1ST. She paid on time Friday. But this is the third time,or more since she started dcb in July, that she waited till the last minute to tell me her schedule . She told me she *might* not bring dcb next week at all, but never gave me a definite answer yet.
I close monday and Tuesday. HER dcb is the only one I am open for on Wednesday, and then thursday&Fri I have her dcb & the other little one . She said her mom is off all week. So she might keep him instead. My husband was wanting to go out of town and not come back until Wednesday. I don't want to go out of town and rush back Tuesday (t's a 4 hour drive) only for him to not show up on Wednesday (or any day next week) . She KNOWS the schedule is due by Friday . In the new handbook, it does say that if the schedule is not given to me on time, I will act as if the child is not coming at all, and payment is still due. But like I said,that is not going to be "official until Jan 1St. Do I have to just suck it up and deal with it,until the handbook is "official" (even though it's been given out) and the contracts are signed (due to be signed by dec 31st) ?
Scout 08:21 AM 12-22-2012
Do not open!! We earn the right to stay closed when we are told parents are not working! Why do so many parents want to bring their kids when they are not at work? I will admit I would love to get rid of the kids every once in a while while I clean but, would send them to my parents or in laws!! The kids love going there! Don't feel guilty either.
Binkybobo 08:59 AM 12-22-2012
Don't open. I had a mom try to pull this one over on me the other day even though it is written in my handbook that I have Dec. 24-26 off!. She handed me payment for next week, and I asked her if she would be here. she told me that she was off Monday and Tuesday and would see me Wed. I told her that I was off Wed. She looked surprised and I referecnced back to the hanbook. This was on Thursday when she did this. Yesterday at pick up, she tried to look sad, and mentioned that she still didn't know what she would do on Wed. Her problem! I take great care of her child year round. I am spending time with family away from my house on Wed. She has known this for months. Don't give in! Stand your ground! Enjoy your day off! I don't understand how parents view us as not being human at times. Why did it never occur to her that you may want to get things done around your house as well?
littlemissmuffet 08:28 PM 12-22-2012
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
I asked one of my DCMs on Monday what her schedule would look like the week of Christmas. She and her husband are off Mon. thru Wed. None of my other DCKs will be here (teachers' kids), so yay for me, an extra day off, right?!

When that mom got here today to pick up her kids, I said, "So, I'll see you guys next Thursday!", to which she answered, " no, Wednesday." I then reminded her that she had already told me that they would have M - W off. She said, "yes, but you are only taking Monday and Tuesday off, so we were going to bring the kids so we can get things done around the house." I told her that I had already made plans, and wouldn't be available on Wednesday. Now I am feeling guilty.

So what would you have done in this situation? I can always call and tell her I will open up for her two. TIA

I am closed Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. But after asking around and realizing that none of my parents work on Thursday or Friday, I closed for those days too. No way am I watching 1 or 2 kiddos when their parents are home. I already have a huge issue watching people's kids when they aren;t at work I am certaintly NOT doing it over the holidays.

I would stop feeling guilty immediately and enjoy your extra day off
Reply Up