Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Paying Cash or Check
JeepGirl6 11:01 AM 12-20-2010
Do you think parents would be okay if I told all of them starting in January I would like them to pay me in cash? For the convenience factor, many of them only pay me in checks because they have their checkbook handy...It would be so much easier for me if they all paid in cash with paying bills and such. Do any of you require all of your daycare parents to pay in cash every week? What would be an easy way to tell them?
jen 11:05 AM 12-20-2010
I don't think that they would mind, it may mean an extra trip to the ATM and you should be sure you can make change since the atm goes by $20's.

The only thing thats a bit confusing is that most people pay their bills with checks, since you can't mail cash, I'm not sure where the added convenience comes in for you.
Blackcat31 11:08 AM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by JeepGirl6:
Do you think parents would be okay if I told all of them starting in January I would like them to pay me in cash? For the convenience factor, many of them only pay me in checks because they have their checkbook handy...It would be so much easier for me if they all paid in cash with paying bills and such. Do any of you require all of your daycare parents to pay in cash every week? What would be an easy way to tell them?
mine would not be happy because alot of them use their checks as a receipt and as a way to total their yearly payments. (I do give them receipts at the time of payment and at the end of the year) but I know they still would prefer to write checks. The only cash payers I have are those that wrote a bad check before and are no longer allowed to pay me with a check....
JeepGirl6 11:09 AM 12-20-2010
I have it so all of my bills are are electronic pay...So every bill I have except for my vehicle payment is online..So it would be nice if the money was in the account when I needed to pay bills instead of waiting for the checks to clear....( I had a parent two weeks ago, which is not bringing her child anymore due to a disagreement) she canceled her check and almost overdrew my bank account so now I have to take her to small claims since she will not pay me for the child care services...Just also after dealing with that it would be alot easier if parents paid me in cash so I don't have to worry about being paid or checks being canceled/bouncing. Thanks for your response
JeepGirl6 11:11 AM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
mine would not be happy because alot of them use their checks as a receipt and as a way to total their yearly payments. (I do give them receipts at the time of payment and at the end of the year) but I know they still would prefer to write checks. The only cash payers I have are those that wrote a bad check before and are no longer allowed to pay me with a check....
I keep track of what is being paid to me every week so if the parents have any questions or forget they can ask what I have recorded..also it is easier on me for taxes just reflecting back at my records or who paid what...At the end of the year I give them a yearly report of every payment they made for taxes
AfterSchoolMom 12:02 PM 12-20-2010
I've been cash only from day one, but lately my parents are complaining that that's too much of a hassle and is the reason that they "forget" to pay on time. I'm changing in January to cash or checks, but after the first bounced check, they'll be back to cash only.
dEHmom 12:18 PM 12-20-2010
As I just had a check canceled on me for a deposit, I have changed my contract to state cash only, unless other arrangements are made prior.

I understand it's more of a hassle for parents to run to the bank, but why should we have to either?

Most parents can understand the cash thing.
DBug 05:19 AM 12-21-2010
I've done cash from day one too. I tell them during the interview, and my excuse is that the closest ATM that belongs to my bank is a half-hour away (which is true). I haven't had too many problems with late payments since I started charging a late fee, and parents have never complained about not having the check option. I think generally most people around here pay bills online or at the ATM, so checks are rarely used anyway.

I do notice that on Fridays (payday) most parents are at least 10-15 minutes later at pick-up than usual, and I'm guessing it's because that's when they stop at the machine , but it's worth it!
Unregistered 05:38 AM 12-21-2010
I do cash ONLY also never had a problem with my parents I have now paying on time they either go to the bank on Friday during their lunch and pay me Friday evening or go to the bank thursday evening and pay Friday morning. Your right too if you depoist cash or even a money order it is avaiable right away checks take 1 day or 2 to clear thats why I dont do checks either plus u have to worry about them bouncing. I would send out your letter no later then today and give them 2 weeks to start paying in cash.
legomom922 09:38 AM 12-21-2010
To my knowledge, I think cks are the preferred way to be paid for auditing purposes. I do not accept cash, ck only for this reason. If ever I am audited, it is up to me to prove the IRS wrong, and if I have cks and all the numbers, that is much more easier to prove than cash is. I could get cash, and only claim part of it, and then would have to prove that really is all I made. Way too difficult, and too hard to track.

Maybe Tom can chime in that. This may be a good question to put on the taxes thread.
Tags:payment options
Reply Up