Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Heeeere We Go...I've Got A Biter
SimpleMom 06:20 AM 06-22-2011
Oh boy, bracing over here for the last few months. One of my dck's has been showing biting signs. They've been redirected and prevented as much as possible. The last two days they have biten the same child in the face really hard--brusing-- (Glad I didn't take the family that presented with a biter, either. This is the one I already had. Would've been reallly tough with the other one.)

I now have myself a new "buddy" We will be very close for the next however many months it takes to ride this out and work on our verbal skills.
IN the mean time, it's going to be quite the ride.

Anyway, Happy Summer!!! I'm so glad it's finally officially here--yay!!!
Auntie 06:30 AM 06-22-2011
I couldn't help but chuckle at your post. Yes you and your new summer buddy.
I liked dealing with a biter in the winter. I would be able to get a break from my little "buddies". I noticed my biters when they had that little face mask on in the winter (I live in a cold northern state) they didn't seem to bite their friends as much. Either that or they couldn't get to them fast enough when in a snow suit. And the mom's had no clue when they packed that face mask type hat that it actually came in handy when outside playing. Inside however, well I had my little buddy hand in hand with me. Ahhh the biters. Gotta love em! What helps is knowing there is an end in site.
cheerfuldom 09:59 AM 06-22-2011
yeah thats about the only thing you can do, keep them separated, keep telling them no biting. It just takes time. My middle daughter was the biter here unfortunately and bit one DCG in the face. It was so awful but the DCM was understanding and thank goodness, nothing like that every happened again.
Ariana 04:32 PM 06-22-2011
I hate 'shadowing' biters!! They always strike the second you turn your back and then the parents think you aren't doing enough.

There's a book called "teeth are not for biting" you might want to check out too!
Michael 06:49 PM 06-22-2011
Lots more on biting: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=biting
dEHmom 05:17 AM 06-23-2011
well i'm dealing with a 14 month old yeller and hitter. UGH! he's very frustrating some days. he just honestly is an angry child lately. He is constantly giving dirty angry mad looks. I swear some days you see the horns coming out of the top of his head!

He's a sweet child, but lately he's just on a mission and he gets angry at things, thinks it's funny to hit. I do the best I can with redirection and explaining no hit etc. My own kids all got a smack on the hand and an explanation that "did that hurt? well it hurt charlie when you hit him. it doesn't feel nice to be hit right? can we remember to not hit?" yada yada. you get my point. Right now as I type this, he is screaming and yelling at me (literally talking back, giving me crap) because he can't have the broom.
Tags:biting
Reply Up