Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Help Wording To Parent That I Won't Be Able To Provide Care After All
TaylorTots 03:24 PM 01-12-2014
Dcps signed a contract for me to provide their infant childcare at the beginning of December - for care starting in April.

There was no deposit required.

Since then my enrollment has changed and I will no longer be able to be their provider in April. I enrolled children that were better grouped in age.

We communicated primary through facebook other than the interview itself. I need to tell dcp that I won't be able to provide care so that she can find alternative care.

Is it ok to communicate this to her through facebook since this has been our means of communication thus far?

I was thinking something like this:
"I am messaging you to let you know that I will not be able to provide care for your infant. Unfortunately circumstances and my enrollment have changed so that I will not be able to meet an infant's needs. I hope you find a great alternative care provider that can meet your needs."

Is this ok? Should I phrase it differently? What would you say?
TheGoodLife 03:38 PM 01-12-2014
Originally Posted by TaylorTots:
Dcps signed a contract for me to provide their infant childcare at the beginning of December - for care starting in April.

There was no deposit required.

Since then my enrollment has changed and I will no longer be able to be their provider in April. I enrolled children that were better grouped in age.

We communicated primary through facebook other than the interview itself. I need to tell dcp that I won't be able to provide care so that she can find alternative care.

Is it ok to communicate this to her through facebook since this has been our means of communication thus far?

I was thinking something like this:
"I am messaging you to let you know that I will not be able to provide care for your infant. Unfortunately circumstances and my enrollment have changed so that I will not be able to meet an infant's needs. I hope you find a great alternative care provider that can meet your needs."

Is this ok? Should I phrase it differently? What would you say?
I would take out the part about not being able to meet the needs of an infant and just leave it at "circumstances and .... Have changed." Other than that it sounds great, very professional!
Scout 03:55 PM 01-12-2014
She shouldn't have an issue with it as you are giving her plenty of time! I think it sounds good also.
daycare 04:16 PM 01-12-2014
a lot can change until april...

do you no longer wish to take infants??
TaylorTots 04:31 PM 01-12-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
a lot can change until april...

do you no longer wish to take infants??
Unless they are a sibling of a current dck, I will only be enrolling children 8m+ from here on out
daycare 05:09 PM 01-12-2014
Dear DCM

Do to some recent changes we will no longer be able to provide services in April as we originally hoped. We would love to place you on our waiting list.

Should you need immediate services here is the number for our R&R dept. they should be able to help you find Childcare.

Regards
TT
Mister Sir Husband 06:40 PM 01-12-2014
Just thinking outloud here.. but I'd be rather upset. From their point of view, a contract was signed and your not honoring your end of it. You enrolled other kids and didn't save them a spot. I see plenty of posts on here about parents not honoring contracts and us providers getting upset and sometimes taking legal action.. but what if the provider doesn't hold up their end? Please don't take this the wrong way as I'm not trying to take sides here.. just throwing my humble opinion in..
daycare 06:56 PM 01-12-2014
I missed the contract part. What does your contract state?

Not to be mean but why would you save a spot with signed contract and no fees collected ?
Lucy 07:36 PM 01-12-2014
Originally Posted by Mister Sir Husband:
Just thinking outloud here.. but I'd be rather upset. From their point of view, a contract was signed and your not honoring your end of it. You enrolled other kids and didn't save them a spot. I see plenty of posts on here about parents not honoring contracts and us providers getting upset and sometimes taking legal action.. but what if the provider doesn't hold up their end? Please don't take this the wrong way as I'm not trying to take sides here.. just throwing my humble opinion in..
I read the original post earlier today, but didn't answer because my thought was the same as Mister's. And since I figured I'd be the only one saying that, I just decided not to respond at all. But since Mister opened the door, I'll chime in!

My immediate thought was, "If I were the parent, I'd be pissed!" (I hope you don't take offense, as I'm truly not trying to be rude.) And as the parent, receiving it as a FB message would kind of make it worse, to be quite honest. Didn't you get their address and phone number on the contract? I'd definitely call her, and follow up by mailing her a formal letter. Afterall, you ARE under a contract agreement together, and just sending a message on a website is not very "official", IMO. I think you need a paper copy of a formal notice, and put it with her contract.

Just my opinion.
BrooklynM 08:25 PM 01-12-2014
From my perspective, although being a child care provider is a different type of business, we as a whole are often looked at as "less professional" than other businesses. I think it is important as a group that we work to change that perspective. Personally, I don't think Facebook is an appropriate form of communicating this message. I would just call them up on the phone. Maybe down the road when their baby is 8 months old they may be in a situation where they need care.

Most new parents have friends that are new parents. Think about how that mom will show all of her friends that she was broken up by her provider by Facebook. Reputation is crucial in business.

Lastly, I'll leave you with this story- we had company over the Christmas holiday and we reserved a van to hold everyone. When we went to go pick it up they said they no longer had a van. I was livid- why take a reservation if you can't fulfill it? They ended up renting us 2 cars (and then charged us for more than the van was!), it was just a mess. I gave them a horrible Yelp review and told all of my friends along with anyone who would listen to me about the awful service we received. Holding a spot in your daycare is like a reservation. If you have second thoughts, BEFORE filling that spot I would recommend trying to be honest with the new parent letting her know of your concerns.

Everything is a learning experience and infants are hard. I know I just had a new DCG start a few weeks ago and it has been an adjustment. It's not for everyone. I like it because I can train them, they don't come with bad habits and I will have that baby for at least 3 years.

Good luck! I hope they are understanding!
Play Care 02:50 AM 01-13-2014
I would not term on Facebook - and because you accepted the signed contract you *are* terming, IMO. If you hadn't accepted the contract and had told mom you'd let her know about spots down the line, then perhaps a more casual message might have been okay. I would call mom ASAP to let her know that due to changes you no will no longer have the spot - and I would be incredibly apologetic about it. I would follow up with a written letter, again, being very apologetic. Word of mouth is huge and as another poster pointed out, chances are good this mom has friends who also have kids...
Laurel 04:20 AM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
From my perspective, although being a child care provider is a different type of business, we as a whole are often looked at as "less professional" than other businesses. I think it is important as a group that we work to change that perspective. Personally, I don't think Facebook is an appropriate form of communicating this message. I would just call them up on the phone. Maybe down the road when their baby is 8 months old they may be in a situation where they need care.

Most new parents have friends that are new parents. Think about how that mom will show all of her friends that she was broken up by her provider by Facebook. Reputation is crucial in business.

Lastly, I'll leave you with this story- we had company over the Christmas holiday and we reserved a van to hold everyone. When we went to go pick it up they said they no longer had a van. I was livid- why take a reservation if you can't fulfill it? They ended up renting us 2 cars (and then charged us for more than the van was!), it was just a mess. I gave them a horrible Yelp review and told all of my friends along with anyone who would listen to me about the awful service we received. Holding a spot in your daycare is like a reservation. If you have second thoughts, BEFORE filling that spot I would recommend trying to be honest with the new parent letting her know of your concerns.

Everything is a learning experience and infants are hard. I know I just had a new DCG start a few weeks ago and it has been an adjustment. It's not for everyone. I like it because I can train them, they don't come with bad habits and I will have that baby for at least 3 years.

Not to hijack thread but you should report the car rental place to the Better Business Bureau. It is very likely you'd get a refund on overpayment for two cars at the least. That is what I would ask for. The BBB can contact businesses that are not registered with them also.

Laurel
Laurel 04:23 AM 01-13-2014
I never take anyone that far in advance. I tell them to call me back closer to the time they will need care to check if I have openings.

I also wouldn't have them sign my agreement until they were actually ready to start. That prevents some sticky situations like you have here.

I think you should call her and talk to her.

Good luck!

Laurel
harperluu 09:58 AM 01-13-2014
While I can understand why a client might be upset that they have to find alternative care and I don't know the specific contract that was signed, I do feel that once the contract has been signed both the provider and the client has a right to terminate the contract according to any stated provider policies.

For instance, if a person pays a holding fee for an infant spot and I happen to find a client that is a better fit, both my policy and my contract allows both of us a 30 day notice to terminate care. As long as I provide a 30 day notice, even on a signed contract then I am able to terminate care. This is an ever changing business. In essence, once the contract is signed both client and myself as provider would fall back on what my policy states.

I do make this clear at interview, and I do discuss this at length during initial phone conversation. And I specifically ask a client before I accept a signed contract/policy if they are willing to take the risk that a lengthy holding period could change and I may need to terminate care 30 days out.

I would also call this family and discuss it with them. They may still be upset, but this will go along way in providing quality customer service.
TaylorTots 11:11 AM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by Mister Sir Husband:
I can still honor my end, but I will terminate during the first 4 weeks as I no longer wish to take infants. My contract states that I can term at any time and so can the parent during the 4 weeks (trial period).

Originally Posted by daycare:
I missed the contract part. What does your contract state?

Not to be mean but why would you save a spot with signed contract and no fees collected ?
My contract says that you can terminate within the first 4 weeks of care at any time without notice if you are not happy - both parent or provider.

This was the first time I had someone interested in a spot that didn't want to start immediately. Since that contract being signed I have revised my current dck's contracts (and had them signed) detailing holding a spot means paying a fee, etc.

Originally Posted by Lucy:
I read the original post earlier today, but didn't answer because my thought was the same as Mister's. And since I figured I'd be the only one saying that, I just decided not to respond at all. But since Mister opened the door, I'll chime in!

My immediate thought was, "If I were the parent, I'd be pissed!" (I hope you don't take offense, as I'm truly not trying to be rude.) And as the parent, receiving it as a FB message would kind of make it worse, to be quite honest. Didn't you get their address and phone number on the contract? I'd definitely call her, and follow up by mailing her a formal letter. Afterall, you ARE under a contract agreement together, and just sending a message on a website is not very "official", IMO. I think you need a paper copy of a formal notice, and put it with her contract.

Just my opinion.
I am happy to call or stop by the parent - they just have only communicated with me through FB thus far other than the interview. Yes I have their contact information. My contract doesn't discuss terminating a held spot - there is just discussion about there being a 4 week trial period that you can terminate immediately at any time.

Originally Posted by Laurel:
I never take anyone that far in advance. I tell them to call me back closer to the time they will need care to check if I have openings.

I also wouldn't have them sign my agreement until they were actually ready to start. That prevents some sticky situations like you have here.

I think you should call her and talk to her.

Good luck!

Laurel
Thanks! Great to keep in mind for future possible siblings of dcks.

I know I messed up. I had never encountered this situation before and wanted to please. Since then I have revised the contract and realized I made a huge error taking an infant. I know that it won't work out and am trying to communicate that with her in advance - 3 months in advance at that. I realize me "backing out" of the contract is not a good thing - but me caring for an infant was not a good choice. I am trying to do the right thing and not be miserable caring for a child younger than I want to. I understand I made a mistake - and I am trying to correct it.
TaylorTots 11:13 AM 01-13-2014
Also their signed contract they did not put a start date at all... if that matters for those of you guys who are upset about us signing a contract. Not sure if that matters to you though :/

I have come so far in 2 months in terms of getting contracts to be written well and signed with all information etc. I have the only copy of the contract too. Again, not that it matters at all.
TaylorTots 11:15 AM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:

However, if they were unable to provide you a van - regardless of why and they gave you 3 months advance notice and you were not out any money, I would assume you would have the opportunity to look for another van. I am trying to do the right thing here - I really am. I need to fix this error. Obviously I am learning a lot from it as well
Lucy 11:25 AM 01-13-2014
Only speaking for myself, I have NO problem with the 'contract' portion of it.

I have NO problem with the 'changing your mind' portion of it.

I have NO problem with the 'terminating your agreement to care' portion of it.

My only issue was telling her on Facebook. From their perspective, if I got a message that the lady whom I thought was going to care for my newborn had changed her mind and now I have to go find a new lady, and that message came on FACEBOOK, I'd really think this was not a professional method.

That was my only issue with the whole thing. As others mentioned, we have to think about not burning bridges. She's a potential referral for you down the road. She can affect your reputation in the area if she badmouths you. I ALWAYS have those things in mind in my dealings with present, past, and potential future clients.

I'm just saying that a phone call followed by a formal letter mailed to her house is the professional way to go about it.

I hope your feelings weren't hurt by any of us.
TaylorTots 11:30 AM 01-13-2014
Oh you guys didn't hurt my feelings...I just feel bad and guilty at my error. I will call her and send a letter, that's one of the reasons I asked in the op.. thank you
spinnymarie 01:18 PM 01-13-2014
Things do change, and I think you are right in calling her and telling her you've decided that infant care will not be the best fit for your business. I'm sure she will probably be slightly annoyed, but overall I'd think that it would be fine - as you said she isn't out anything but time and probably some peace of mind.
childcaremom 02:04 PM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by Lucy:

I'm just saying that a phone call followed by a formal letter mailed to her house is the professional way to go about it.

I think there is nothing wrong with realizing this now, and it's def. better than later. 3 months is a lot of time for her to have to be looking for a replacement spot.
Play Care 03:21 PM 01-13-2014
I want to clarify that my main issue was terming through Facebook as they did have a signed contract. To me *that* would be unprofessional. I don't see a problem with letting a family know, on the phone and in writing that due to unforeseen circumstances you won't be able to take their child - I DO believe in sounding really apologetic and sorry about it (even if inside you feel like ) because that can go a long way to soothe any ruffled feathers.
Reply Up