Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Day 1 with Essential Oils
Dia 11:35 AM 12-07-2015

After much research I finally broke down and got my diffuser and some essential oils to start out with. I normally have a small group on Mondays and today I only have 4.

Well after lunch, someone (normally whoever is on their best behavior) gets to pick out one show for us to watch, this normally helps them to wind down before nap. Today it was 3.5 yo DCB. He picked Blaze and the Monster Machines.

I put lavendar and patchuli in the diffuser right after lunch ended.

We watch about 10 minutes of the show and I get up and go to the restroom, come back and 2 y DCG is sound asleep sitting straight up in the couch, 21m DCG, is laying on the floor on her tummy with her arms sprawled out and her eyes half open, 3m old is sleeping soundly (which is nothing surprising) I ask 3.5 DCB if he wants to finish his show or just go to nap now, and he said "I just wanna go nap, I'm so tired"

I'd say that's score one for ME
midaycare 12:13 PM 12-07-2015
I like essential oils for the smell, but I've never had any holistic help with them.
childcaremom 12:31 PM 12-07-2015
What is this magic you speak of?

Awesome!
Thriftylady 12:54 PM 12-07-2015
I don't have a napping issue, I do have a wild crew of SA kiddos. I wonder if there are any oils that would be calming.
Dia 02:12 PM 12-07-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I don't have a napping issue, I do have a wild crew of SA kiddos. I wonder if there are any oils that would be calming.
Well, lavendar has a calming/relaxing effect and Patchouli calms the nervous system, you could also try Ylang Ylang which is for calming the emotions or Vetiver which calms and focuses the mind. A lot of brands put out things such as Calm & Focus which I believe are aimed towards helping ADHD type symptoms......I'm fairly new to all this, although I have been looking into it for a while, plus I have had one Daycare parent who was highly into it last year, and talked about it a lot, and now I have another daycare parent that is T totally into it she does training sessions and everything for a specific company (I went with another company to get started because it was more budget friendly and I am still getting pure oils, plus I can get it at my local grocery store, and I like to be able to see, smell, and touch things, I'm not one for mail order........plus it's instant gratification because I get it right then )
Digiscrapqueen 05:48 PM 12-07-2015
I have been using EOs for about 6 years. I only started diffusing them this year and I can say I like it! I got into using them to help with pain. They work well for me. I wish I could use them at work, but I work in a center so fat chance of that happening! I got ringworm from a dck a few months ago and used melaluca and diluted oregano every day twice a day. It cleared up in a week and a half. So glad they are working for you as well!
MissAnn 04:26 AM 12-08-2015
I use thieves and lavender most days , The good news is there is a market difference in sickness here! The bad news is that I never have low attendance days. JK about that being bad news.
Annalee 04:30 AM 12-08-2015
When I had the family I recently terminated, I purchased a diffuser and some lavender along with balance oils...but since I terminated this family a few weeks ago, I haven't even thought about the oils I didn't realize how bad this family was till they were gone, my daycare days are now so NICE
Blackcat31 06:04 AM 12-08-2015
I don't buy into the benefits of oils but understand and support those that choose to use them.

As a provider I would caution those of you that do use them to ALWAYS get parents permission before using when daycare kids are present. I've read a few stories/situations fro providers in different forum groups say some children can have bad reactions to certain oils or mixture of oils.

I personally can't stand scents that are too strong and certain flowery scents would make me vomit so again, I would make sure I have parental permission before diffusing or using oils while daycare kids are present.
Annalee 06:43 AM 12-08-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't buy into the benefits of oils but understand and support those that choose to use them.

As a provider I would caution those of you that do use them to ALWAYS get parents permission before using when daycare kids are present. I've read a few stories/situations fro providers in different forum groups say some children can have bad reactions to certain oils or mixture of oils.

I personally can't stand scents that are too strong and certain flowery scents would make me vomit so again, I would make sure I have parental permission before diffusing or using oils while daycare kids are present.
I checked with licensing before buying and she said I did not have to get parental permission to use them. I actually bought my diffuser from a current client. But, like you, I do NOT feel there are any longterm effects that are of benefit to me or my program. My days are much better by getting rid of the problem family I did try the lavender on my son that doesn't sleep well...don't feel it is a benefit there either. Haven't used my diffuser since the problem family left I think I was just grasping at anything to make things better...that tells you how hard I worked to make things possible for this family and I to get along, but it wasn't going to happen.
Blackcat31 07:19 AM 12-08-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I checked with licensing before buying and she said I did not have to get parental permission to use them. I actually bought my diffuser from a current client. But, like you, I do NOT feel there are any longterm effects that are of benefit to me or my program. My days are much better by getting rid of the problem family I did try the lavender on my son that doesn't sleep well...don't feel it is a benefit there either. Haven't used my diffuser since the problem family left I think I was just grasping at anything to make things better...that tells you how hard I worked to make things possible for this family and I to get along, but it wasn't going to happen.
I didn't mean licensing... I just meant asking parents for permission. I've seen some posts about irate parents so I guess I always go with the "when in doubt" ask.

As a parent, if my provider was defusing oils (especially some of them) while my child was present, I'd want to know and I'd want to know she knew what she was doing and that she was knowledgeable in the area since some oils/scents can have bad effects on asthma and stuff like that.

I dunno, I'm just thinking I'd be kind of irked if I picked my kid up from daycare and she reeked of patchouli..... and lavender seriously makes me gag. so like anything since we run a business from our homes, I always try to run things by a parent first before doing.

And YES!!! Totally get what you mean about the tough family...sometimes grasping at ANYTHING to make it through helps...even if it's only mind over matter.
Unregistered 07:09 PM 12-08-2015
I didn't mean licensing... I just meant asking parents for permission. I've seen some posts about irate parents so I guess I always go with the "when in doubt" ask.

As a parent, if my provider was defusing oils (especially some of them) while my child was present, I'd want to know and I'd want to know she knew what she was doing and that she was knowledgeable in the area since some oils/scents can have bad effects on asthma and stuff like that.

I dunno, I'm just thinking I'd be kind of irked if I picked my kid up from daycare and she reeked of patchouli..... and lavender seriously makes me gag. so like anything since we run a business from our homes, I always try to run things by a parent first before doing.

And YES!!! Totally get what you mean about the tough family...sometimes grasping at ANYTHING to make it through helps...even if it's only mind over matter.
I hate strong smells too, always have, even as a kid. To smell patchouli all day would be the 7th layer of hell for me.
MissAnn 10:56 AM 12-09-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I hate strong smells too, always have, even as a kid. To smell patchouli all day would be the 7th layer of hell for me.
If the smells are strong....they are using too many drops!

I'd much rather inhale essential oils than chemical laden sprays or scentsy candles.
Ariana 02:46 PM 12-09-2015
Oh my ME TOO! Patchouli is the devils perfume with lavender being a close second

I can only tolerate citrus oils or light peppermint.
Thriftylady 02:56 PM 12-09-2015
So the oils have a strong odor? If so they won't work in my house. DD and I have allergies that can't handle that. Even walking near bath and body works in a mall kills us.
Ariana 05:33 PM 12-09-2015
So the oils have a strong odor? If so they won't work in my house. DD and I have allergies that can't handle that. Even walking near bath and body works in a mall kills us.
They do if you use too much or choose a scent you don't like. Bath & Body Works is offensive because it's too many fake scents mixed together. Peppermint is actually really good for opening the sinuses and healping with breathing, just make sure to use a few drops mixed with water if you are using a candle type diffuser. Try and smell the scents before buying and choose something you like.
Annalee 06:38 PM 12-09-2015
I have never liked using plugins, air fresheners, etc... When I did use the oils in a diffuser, the smells were not very strong.....I have only used the lavender and the balance oils, though....I have sinus issues as well, but oils didn't bother me.
Blackcat31 06:40 AM 12-10-2015
https://naturalkids.wordpress.com/20...fety-for-kids/

◾*Cajuput Melaleuca cajuputi, Melaleuca leucadendron – avoid using on children under 6
◾Chaste Tree Vitex agnus castus – avoid using (all routes) on prepubertal children
◾Clove Bud, Clove Leaf, Clove Stem Syzygium aromaticum, Eugenia caryophyllata, Eugenia aromatica – avoid topical use on children under 2
◾*Eucalyptus Eucalyptus camaldulensis, Eucalyptus globulus, Eucalyptus maidenii, Eucalyptus plenissima, Eucalyptus kochii, Eucalyptus polybractea, Eucalyptus radiata, Eucalyptus Autraliana, Eucalyptus phellandra, Eucalyptus smithii – avoid using on children under 10
◾Lemon Leaf/Lemon Petitgrain Citrus x limon, Citrus limonum – avoid topical use on children under 2
◾Lemongrass Cymbopogon flexuosus, Andropogon flexuosus, Cymbopogon citratus, Andropogon citratus – avoid topical use on children under 2
◾*Marjoram (Spanish) Thymus mastichina – avoid using on children under 6
◾Oregano Origanum onites, Origanum smyrnaeum, Origanum vulgare, Origanum compactum, Origanum hirtum, Thymbra capitata, Thymus capitatus, Coridothymus capitatus, Satureeja capitata – avoid dermal use on children under 2
◾Peppermint Mentha x Piperita – avoid using (all routes) on children under 6
◾*Rosemary (1,8-cineole chemotype) Rosmarinus officinalis – avoid using on children under 6
◾Wintergreen Gaultheria fragrantissima, Gaultheria procumbens – avoid due to methyl salicylate content
◾Ylang-Ylang Cananga odorata – avoid topical use on children under 2. (not for use when pregnant)

* indicates essential oils that are high in 1,8-cineole and can potentially cause respiration to slow in children.

More about Peppermint Oil and Children:

– Avoid use on children under 30 months of age. The nasal mucosa is an autonomic reflexogen organ, which has a distance action to the heart, lungs and circulation and may lead to sudden apnoea and glottal constriction.

– Direct application of peppermint oil to the nasal area or chest to infants should be avoided because of the risk of apnea, laryngeal and bronchial spasms, acute respiratory distress with cyanosis and respiratory arrest. (The Longwood Herbal Task Force)

– Do not apply undiluted peppermint essential oils to the feet, particularly on infants and children under the age of 12.

– Inhalation of larges doses of menthol may lead to dizziness, confusion, muscle weakness, nausea and double vision.
NeedaVaca 07:26 AM 12-10-2015

◾*Cajuput Melaleuca cajuputi, Melaleuca leucadendron – avoid using on children under 6
◾Chaste Tree Vitex agnus castus – avoid using (all routes) on prepubertal children
◾Clove Bud, Clove Leaf, Clove Stem Syzygium aromaticum, Eugenia caryophyllata, Eugenia aromatica – avoid topical use on children under 2
◾*Eucalyptus Eucalyptus camaldulensis, Eucalyptus globulus, Eucalyptus maidenii, Eucalyptus plenissima, Eucalyptus kochii, Eucalyptus polybractea, Eucalyptus radiata, Eucalyptus Autraliana, Eucalyptus phellandra, Eucalyptus smithii – avoid using on children under 10
◾Lemon Leaf/Lemon Petitgrain Citrus x limon, Citrus limonum – avoid topical use on children under 2
◾Lemongrass Cymbopogon flexuosus, Andropogon flexuosus, Cymbopogon citratus, Andropogon citratus – avoid topical use on children under 2
◾Oregano Origanum onites, Origanum smyrnaeum, Origanum vulgare, Origanum compactum, Origanum hirtum, Thymbra capitata, Thymus capitatus, Coridothymus capitatus, Satureeja capitata – avoid dermal use on children under 2
◾*Rosemary (1,8-cineole chemotype) Rosmarinus officinalis – avoid using on children under 6
◾Wintergreen Gaultheria fragrantissima, Gaultheria procumbens – avoid due to methyl salicylate content
◾Ylang-Ylang Cananga odorata – avoid topical use on children under 2. (not for use when pregnant)

* indicates essential oils that are high in 1,8-cineole and can potentially cause respiration to slow in children.

– Avoid use on children under 30 months of age. The nasal mucosa is an autonomic reflexogen organ, which has a distance action to the heart, lungs and circulation and may lead to sudden apnoea and glottal constriction.

– Direct application of peppermint oil to the nasal area or chest to infants should be avoided because of the risk of apnea, laryngeal and bronchial spasms, acute respiratory distress with cyanosis and respiratory arrest. (The Longwood Herbal Task Force)

– Do not apply undiluted peppermint essential oils to the feet, particularly on infants and children under the age of 12.

– Inhalation of larges doses of menthol may lead to dizziness, confusion, muscle weakness, nausea and double vision.

I noticed on the daycare facebook page someone laughing at the idea of asking parents first. This is exactly why, too many people are not educated on EO's and could cause serious problems for the children in their care if not using them safely.
Snowmom 07:34 AM 12-10-2015

All the above is great information. I just wanted to throw in that the Melaleuca mentioned above is different from Melaleuca alternifolia, which is what is commonly sold (Tea Tree oil). Tea Tree/Melaleuca is what is commonly used to deter lice (water/oil combo or adding a couple drops in your shampoo).

For anyone looking to find more information on oil & children, here is good information about dilution: http://www.nativeamericannutritional...rates-children

I've been using oils for a long time, Vetiver has been a life saver for my son as well. However, I never use them topically on any children in daycare. Even when parents use them at home or say it's ok. There is so much liability there if a child has a reaction or allergy.
If I diffuse, it's in very small quantity- usually one drop in the diffuser. Although, I make my own cleaning products with them (Lemon, Purify, water & vinegar).

And I'm so with you BC; patchouli makes me gag. A long time ago when I worked in restaurants, there used to be these young boys in the kitchen who were drenched in it... and I had to run to the bathroom to toss my cookies daily.
Annalee 08:03 AM 12-10-2015
WOW! Most teachers in my son's school are diffusing these oils daily....especially onguard, lavender and peppermint
Blackcat31 08:17 AM 12-10-2015
WOW! Most teachers in my son's school are diffusing these oils daily....especially onguard, lavender and peppermint
I think there is a difference in "toxicity" or "danger levels" depending on whether you diffuse or apply topically.

I don't know a lot about this stuff but I do know that it's common for people to mis-use or to not really know what they are doing so I just think its easier to avoid all together since benefits of these things are so controversial themselves.
MarinaVanessa 10:12 AM 12-10-2015
I think there's a difference also on whether you're using directly on the child or diffusing it. I do get where the idea about talking to parents about using essential oils comes from but I also have to wonder how many providers ask their parents about all of the household products they use in their home. Most cleaners use highly toxic chemicals which are worse to breath in than essential oils, especially aerosol products. Scents in these products are also artificial and toxic in and of themselves. So are most big brand plug-in air fresheners, scented candles and incenses. Most of us use bleach to disinfect and that's a HUGE asthmatic.

I do get that there are some children and adults are more prone to allergies and have a difficult time with inhalants but the chances are that people are more prone to respiratory issues with commercial products than natural essential oils (and I'm talking about legit essential oils, not cheap oils which say they're essential oils but aren't). Actually putting the oils on the child I am totally against because then you are applying them directly to the skin and then they are absorbed. I would never do that even with a parent's request/permission/written consent etc. (I don't medicate at all at my daycare).

I've had my share of kids with respiratory issues and I myself have issues with chemical scents (perfume, scented candles, scented lotions/soap etc) so I stopped using aerosols of any kinds and scented everything (commercial). I also use a more natural approach to cleaning except when using bleach but only because I have not yet found something that is as powerful and that works as fast. IMO (and others are free to have their own, this is just how I approach it) if a child has an issue with a product that can cause any kind of medical issue (whether or not it's serious) then the parent tells the provider and the provider can then change it or not, depending on the severity and whether or not it's realistic to remove the issue ... I see essential oils just like any other product.

This coming from me who doesn't use essential oils religiously and I am definitely not a "crunchy" person, I now only use it as scent in a diffuser and sporatically directly on myself or my kids (mostly on my DD when she says she feels like it). My DD has ADHD and I tried a lot of different things to try to get her off of medication ... it worked a bit but for us was not as effective as her medication unfortunately. I pretty much use it now as an aeromatherapy/air freshener.
Blackcat31 10:17 AM 12-10-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
but I also have to wonder how many providers ask their parents about all of the household products they use in their home. Most cleaners use highly toxic chemicals which are worse to breath in than essential oils, especially aerosol products. Scents in these products are also artificial and toxic in and of themselves. So are most big brand plug-in air fresheners, scented candles and incenses. Most of us use bleach to disinfect and that's a HUGE asthmatic.
But those cleaners are kept behind locked cabinet doors and are strictly regulated by licensing.

Oils are not.

As a safety precaution, I would just discuss with parents PRIOR to use. It's easier to do that than it is to diffuse and angry parent.

This is a topic I discuss with parents during the enrollment process so I know which kids in care can and can't or shouldn't be around certain things.
MarinaVanessa 11:05 AM 12-10-2015
But those cleaners are kept behind locked cabinet doors and are strictly regulated by licensing.

Oils are not.

As a safety precaution, I would just discuss with parents PRIOR to use. It's easier to do that than it is to diffuse and angry parent.

This is a topic I discuss with parents during the enrollment process so I know which kids in care can and can't or shouldn't be around certain things.
I never thought if it this way since I treat essential oils just like any other household product. Anything that should be kept out of the reach of children (which includes essential oils) is kept in a high cabinet higher than my head in my kitchen which also has a safety gate that is always kept closed. The kids are never allowed to go into the kitchen.

Even my defuser is kept far back in my kitchen and out of reach of the kids. Licensing has asked about it before and she just asked me if I kept the gate closed all of the times and kept the kids out of the kitchen and I said yes. The gate to my kitchen counts as "locked" in my area but I can see where the problem would lie if someone else didn't think of this and didn't lock them up or didn't keep them away from the kids.

ANYTHING that can cause a child to get sick if put on the skin or ingested should be kept out of reach. I forget that sometimes what I consider common sense for me isn't always common sense for others, I'm reminded of this pretty much when I read or watch the news
Ariana 12:51 PM 12-10-2015
Wow these things should be sold with warnings!
mommiebookworm 12:55 PM 12-10-2015
I use them on myself and my children. I would never apply them topically to a daycare child, and I would ask before diffusing them.
Annalee 04:10 PM 12-10-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I never thought if it this way since I treat essential oils just like any other household product. Anything that should be kept out of the reach of children (which includes essential oils) is kept in a high cabinet higher than my head in my kitchen which also has a safety gate that is always kept closed. The kids are never allowed to go into the kitchen.

Even my defuser is kept far back in my kitchen and out of reach of the kids. Licensing has asked about it before and she just asked me if I kept the gate closed all of the times and kept the kids out of the kitchen and I said yes. The gate to my kitchen counts as "locked" in my area but I can see where the problem would lie if someone else didn't think of this and didn't lock them up or didn't keep them away from the kids.

ANYTHING that can cause a child to get sick if put on the skin or ingested should be kept out of reach. I forget that sometimes what I consider common sense for me isn't always common sense for others, I'm reminded of this pretty much when I read or watch the news
EXACTLY!
Unregistered 10:44 AM 12-14-2015
My husband and son have a history of seizures and neither can be around certain oils being diffused. This warning came straight from a neurologist. I absolutely would check with parents. I would not be happy if my provider was diffusing without my knowledge. Even "healthy" oils and supplements carry risks to certain individuals.
Snowmom 07:40 AM 12-15-2015
My husband and son have a history of seizures and neither can be around certain oils being diffused. This warning came straight from a neurologist. I absolutely would check with parents. I would not be happy if my provider was diffusing without my knowledge. Even "healthy" oils and supplements carry risks to certain individuals.
While I sympathize with you and tend to err on the side of caution myself when it comes to the oils I use in my own home and around the children I care for; I do not agree that you as a parent, need to be informed of a provider choosing to use oils in their own home.

If you or your child tend to have reactions to ANY substance, whether it be oils, pet dander, perfumes, etc; it is up to YOU to inform the people you choose to surround yourself with.
I just don't think it's reasonable to expect us as providers to never use anything in our own home that somebody might be allergic to.
If we had to go that route, we wouldn't be able to use a huge laundry list of items that just might be an irritant to some random person.
Thriftylady 08:24 AM 12-15-2015
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
While I sympathize with you and tend to err on the side of caution myself when it comes to the oils I use in my own home and around the children I care for; I do not agree that you as a parent, need to be informed of a provider choosing to use oils in their own home.

If you or your child tend to have reactions to ANY substance, whether it be oils, pet dander, perfumes, etc; it is up to YOU to inform the people you choose to surround yourself with.
I just don't think it's reasonable to expect us as providers to never use anything in our own home that somebody might be allergic to.
If we had to go that route, we wouldn't be able to use a huge laundry list of items that just might be an irritant to some random person.
I agree with this. While I try to be careful what I do for the safety of everyone, this is still a home that is lived in. I have forms for parents to tell me all medical conditions and allergies and state that leaving anything out is grounds for termination. It isn't my job to follow parents around and ask them questions, it is their job to inform me as THEY are the ones that hold that information.
Blackcat31 08:30 AM 12-15-2015

I 100% disagree with this.

Yes, it is YOUR home but you are WILLINGLY accepting the liability of someone else's well being and because of that you have due diligence to inform those entering your place of business that you are doing something that could potentially cause harm or present a risk to others.

I'm in MN like you and our county is just now addressing this issue and we (in my area) will be required to notify parents if we use oils. I am sure DHS will make a ruling for all sooner or later.

My thoughts are why risk someone else's well being for something that may not be worth the loss? It would just be easier to inform parents from the beginning. It's also a good way to open the dialog about the topic.
Thriftylady 09:23 AM 12-15-2015
I 100% disagree with this.

Yes, it is YOUR home but you are WILLINGLY accepting the liability of someone else's well being and because of that you have due diligence to inform those entering your place of business that you are doing something that could potentially cause harm or present a risk to others.

I'm in MN like you and our county is just now addressing this issue and we (in my area) will be required to notify parents if we use oils. I am sure DHS will make a ruling for all sooner or later.

My thoughts are why risk someone else's well being for something that may not be worth the loss? It would just be easier to inform parents from the beginning. It's also a good way to open the dialog about the topic.
While I don't use a lot of scents due to DD and my allergies, I disagree with your premise. Not so much the essential oils, but then does that mean we have to inform parents exactly what cleaners we use? What about laundry soap that I use on my and my families clothing? I mean how far is it expected to go? Does it then extend to what brand of milk, butter, flour etc I use? I guess my thought is just that we have to be able to draw a line in the sand somewhere. DD and I have horrible reactions to any strong scent, including many cleaning supplies but I wouldn't expect someone else to change what they use in in their home or business to suit us.
Blackcat31 09:32 AM 12-15-2015
While I don't use a lot of scents due to DD and my allergies, I disagree with your premise. Not so much the essential oils, but then does that mean we have to inform parents exactly what cleaners we use? What about laundry soap that I use on my and my families clothing? I mean how far is it expected to go? Does it then extend to what brand of milk, butter, flour etc I use? I guess my thought is just that we have to be able to draw a line in the sand somewhere. DD and I have horrible reactions to any strong scent, including many cleaning supplies but I wouldn't expect someone else to change what they use in in their home or business to suit us.
Yes, we are provided with a list of state approved cleaners that we can use in childcare.

Unless you are planning to wash your DCK's clothing what does the brand of laundry soap have to do with it? I'm not understanding that concept.

As for brands of milk, butter etc, yes those too are "governed" by my food program.

ANYTHING you use on or with DCK's is YOUR responsibility and your liability.

Draw your line where ever you feel comfortable but most of what you mentioned above IS already regulated by licensing rules in my state. My line is based on liability and I prefer to err on the side of caution.
Snowmom 09:56 AM 12-15-2015
I respect your stance BC and I understand where your coming from. I personally DO tell my families that I use oils in my home (which is a selling point in all honesty- because I do not use harsh chemicals on my floors) and I DO believe we need to hold ourselves to responsible use of cleaners and oils.
However I believe that it should be the parents that should be responsible for informing others (US) if there is an allergy or known reaction to ANY substance. It should not be assumed that my home is a hospital-like setting and will never carry any scents or allergens. THEY need to do their due diligence when it comes to their child. Which is what I specifically addressed above.
And yes, the soaps we use WOULD matter. We wash bedding, pillows, changing pads, etc.
The soap I use on MY clothes matters would matter as well, since I do the burping and holding of the kids as well.
Annalee 10:08 AM 12-15-2015
I wash all bedding as well and I don't share what laundry detergent I use. Parents are expected to inform me of allergies. Some of these areas are left to chance I guess and maybe that is a huge liability. Oils may be a different issue but I find it near impossible to inform parents of EVERY thing in my daycare that may pose an allergy problem. That is why I rely on open communication. I use the typical bleach/water solution for sanitizing and cleaning materials...The liquid soap I use for handwashing is different throughout the year and I don't share that with parents. I think every one on this thread may have a POINT, but each daycare is unique at what makes things work with each one's particular client-base. I also feel as providers, each day brings it's own catch 22's and liability issues. We just have to do the best we can all the time and hope what we choose to do works...but if it doesn't, it doesn't necessarily mean we did anything wrong...each day is sink or swim....
Play Care 10:10 AM 12-15-2015
I wash all bedding as well and I don't share what laundry detergent I use. Parents are expected to inform me of allergies. Some of these areas are left to chance I guess and maybe that is a huge liability. Oils may be a different issue but I find it near impossible to inform parents of EVERY thing in my daycare that may pose an allergy problem. That is why I rely on open communication. I use the typical bleach/water solution for sanitizing and cleaning materials...The liquid soap I use for handwashing is different throughout the year and I don't share that with parents. I think every one on this thread may have a POINT, but each daycare is unique at what makes things work with each one's particular client-base. I also feel as providers, each day brings it's own catch 22's and liability issues. We just have to do the best we can all the time and hope what we choose to do works...but if it doesn't, it doesn't necessarily mean we did anything wrong...each day is sink or swim....

Thriftylady 10:10 AM 12-15-2015
I respect your stance BC and I understand where your coming from. I personally DO tell my families that I use oils in my home (which is a selling point in all honesty- because I do not use harsh chemicals on my floors) and I DO believe we need to hold ourselves to responsible use of cleaners and oils.
However I believe that it should be the parents that should be responsible for informing others (US) if there is an allergy or known reaction to ANY substance. It should not be assumed that my home is a hospital-like setting and will never carry any scents or allergens. THEY need to do their due diligence when it comes to their child. Which is what I specifically addressed above.
And yes, the soaps we use WOULD matter. We wash bedding, pillows, changing pads, etc.
The soap I use on MY clothes matters would matter as well, since I do the burping and holding of the kids as well.
This is my thought exactly. And it seems as things vary by state and even county, we don't have certain cleaners and being legally unlicensed I can't be on the food program. Part of the reason I am legally unlicensed is that I don't want the government running what I can and can't do in my home. Of course ALL of my parents are aware of this. And laundry soap on my clothing could cause a reaction on a child in my care, as we touch each other often, and who doesn't snuggle a baby? This did happen to me once in Kansas but once we found out I had to change soaps myself.
Blackcat31 10:12 AM 12-15-2015
I do agree but unfortunately as a business I think we bear the burden of having more liability/responsibility than the parent/consumer. My initial disagreement was more in regards to the statement "in our own homes"...when open for business, "our own homes" take a back seat to regulations and liabilities.

Of course, if the parent knew their child was allergic I would think any conscious parent would inform others of this allergy.

I don't inform parents of what scent I choose when buying air freshener, laundry soaps etc but if I wasn't buying something off the approved cleaning list or something that wasn't right off Target or Walmart's shelves, I would feel obligated to inform.
Fiddlesticks 10:49 AM 12-15-2015
I was at my hairdressers last week, and mentioned being sick with a cold for the better part of two weeks and joked that I should start wearing a surgical mask to avoid germs. She said I should use "some oil" as it is "basically a surgical mask" then she said, "we are diffusing it right now." So, I was in a business (this was not someone's home, it was a salon) and they were diffusing essential oils and did not inform me, in any way, upon entering the establishment. I do not think that just because we run a business out of our homes we would be held to a higher standard than any other business.

And I also disagree that the cleaners and brands of food we use are regulated. I am required to clean my changing area in a certain manner, but how I clean my floors, and other surfaces, is up to me. And the food program outlines what is creditable and what is not, but they care not what brand of milk I use.
Annalee 10:52 AM 12-15-2015
Originally Posted by Fiddlesticks:
I was at my hairdressers last week, and mentioned being sick with a cold for the better part of two weeks and joked that I should start wearing a surgical mask to avoid germs. She said I should use "some oil" as it is "basically a surgical mask" then she said, "we are diffusing it right now." So, I was in a business (this was not someone's home, it was a salon) and they were diffusing essential oils and did not inform me, in any way, upon entering the establishment. I do not think that just because we run a business out of our homes we would be held to a higher standard than any other business.

And I also disagree that the cleaners and brands of food we use are regulated. I am required to clean my changing area in a certain manner, but how I clean my floors, and other surfaces, is up to me. And the food program outlines what is creditable and what is not, but they care not what brand of milk I use.
The local school my sons attend have the oils diffusing every day in their classrooms.
MissAnn 11:02 AM 12-15-2015

It's funny, no one thinks about informing parents if we use scented candles or spray air fresheners. Hey, I used to have a thingamajiggy that sprayed out fragrance every few minutes. I am sure far more people would have a negative reaction to that over essential oils.
Blackcat31 11:08 AM 12-15-2015

I think we're are just spitting hairs now.... the point was that yes, the state DOES have a say in what disinfectants you use for child care and the food program DOES regulate the foods you serve.

https://www.co.dakota.mn.us/HealthFa...ernatives.aspx
Thriftylady 11:28 AM 12-15-2015
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
It's funny, no one thinks about informing parents if we use scented candles or spray air fresheners. Hey, I used to have a thingamajiggy that sprayed out fragrance every few minutes. I am sure far more people would have a negative reaction to that over essential oils.
Yes, that would likely set DD and I off! If I walked into your home and it bothered me I may ask if you could turn it off or whatever while I was there, or I may have to not stay so long. But I would just be more mindful before I came back over. Your home, your choice. I really want to try the oils reading the benefits, but not sure it is a good idea for me. My hubby keeps air fresheners in his semi. Anytime he wants me to go with him, he has to get them out of there a couple of hours before I get in so I can be in there.
Fiddlesticks 11:30 AM 12-15-2015
Maybe we are splitting hairs, and if that is the case, I apologize, but I was responding to this:

As for brands of milk, butter etc, yes those too are "governed" by my food program.

Thriftylady 11:51 AM 12-15-2015
I guess I don't see it as splitting hairs, I see it as taking away our freedoms. My point was if they can tell me what brand of cleaner or laundry soap I can use, it will soon be accepted that they can tell me what brand of milk or butter I use then what? They tell me what grocery store I can shop at or where I have to buy my gas? It may start as small things in a home daycare but if we allow it, what will it turn into? I know, seems extreme but just the way I see it.
Annalee 12:07 PM 12-15-2015
I guess I don't see it as splitting hairs, I see it as taking away our freedoms. My point was if they can tell me what brand of cleaner or laundry soap I can use, it will soon be accepted that they can tell me what brand of milk or butter I use then what? They tell me what grocery store I can shop at or where I have to buy my gas? It may start as small things in a home daycare but if we allow it, what will it turn into? I know, seems extreme but just the way I see it.
My environmentalist told me he could see the day when they asked where we bought our food.....he said he hoped he was long gone by then.
Tags:essential oils
Reply Up