Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lots of Daycares in My Area are Closing
daycare 11:56 AM 09-15-2011
So today I was scrolling through craigs list looking for a few items for my DC.

I happened to notice a very large amount of ads that had titles "Daycare/preschool closing____________for sale"

I have been very slow and have had a record number of spots open. I know that the economy is not the best right now and that there are a lot of people out of work. I also know that there a lot of SAHM that are offering daycare and are not leagal, so that's causing issues. Im in CA so you can't run a daycare without a license. YOu can only watch one families children at a time.

I was wondering if this tends to be the trend every where??? HOw are things in your area?
cheerfuldom 12:31 PM 09-15-2011
we have had a flood of SAHMS and new home daycares offering service on craigslist. i would imagine that a good 50% close within a year or two as people realize the toll this job takes on your household OR they find work elsewhere. Its pretty common for people to not last long in this job especially when they start because they have to (due to job loss or whatever) and not because they necessarily want to do this.
mac60 12:31 PM 09-15-2011
Not good in our area either....one of the highest counties in our state for unemployment.....of which we have been dealing with in our household for almost 2 years.
daycare 12:36 PM 09-15-2011
So sorry to hear this. I am worried, as my husband has quit his job to go back to school and the plan was that I would grow my business but have not been able to.....

I really hope that things turn around soon for you and your family..
cheerfuldom 12:41 PM 09-15-2011
I know, its tough all the way around for most people. I am having to do daycare and a full courseload because we can't afford for me to let daycare kids go in order to focus on school. my dh has been due for a promotion for a long time that has not materialized. he will probably be continuing his education too and working in order to compete for fewer but better paying positions. There just aren't many options these days.
daycare 12:48 PM 09-15-2011
I hear what you are saying about this business, it's tuff. People get into thinking oh this will be easy money and then burn out happens. Or they just do it until they find something better.

I have been in busines for almost 8 years and I have always been full. Waiting list in the past and what not......This past year has been the hardest.

I guess if worse comes to worse, I will get a part time night job to keep us afloat....
MsMe 01:02 PM 09-15-2011
i found this on my local news.
http://www.kcci.com/money/29194062/detail.html

Even Centers are closing....although I feel there maybe more to this story than low numbers
TBird 02:56 PM 09-15-2011
Lots of ads for daycares closing in my area too. And there are GOO-GOBS of SAHM's advertising for care. Some of them don't even realize that you can only care for TWO children (unlicensed) aside from your own in this state....they are advertising for more numbers as if they are licensed.

It's hard to compete with their prices and it takes longer for me to get kids but I tell ya...I get the cream of the crop in parents. They've seen what's out there, they're looking for quality and they don't mind paying me for it!
Crystal 03:13 PM 09-15-2011
It is happening here too.....with the economy what it is, I have been very fortunate to stay full and maintain a waitlist.

I think what you are seeing, aside from a few unlucky providers, is the lesser quality programs going out of business as as more and more parents are being educated about quality care, the "new" providers who invested a fortune on all the "right" equipment and supplies who then were unable to fill up, AND alot of providers are aging out and retiring.

Hang tight....the children currently enrolled in those programs are going to need child care elsewhere. Find a way to make your place really stand out and they will come.
snbauser 05:54 PM 09-15-2011
It can be challenging to stay one step ahead of what everyone else is offering. I know there are a lot of centers and family child cares that are struggling right now.
Tags:bad economy, close daycare
Reply Up