Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Space Layout Ideas?
daycaremom88 10:39 PM 06-08-2013
Hi, I am looking and can't find any pictures of infant only areas. I have put up a half wall and sectioned off a portion of my space to have young infants and maybe a young toddler to play in. I need some ideas of what kind of toys and things you'd put in an infant only space. I have 2 pack n plays, a jumperoo, a music table, and a swing. What else would you include? or if you have a picture can you post it on her please?! Thanks
Blackcat31 06:53 AM 06-09-2013
I have a separate room for infants. In that room is a PNP. I don't use any other type of infant equipment so no swings, no bouncers etc...

As for toys, I have:
I think that is about it
blandino 08:47 AM 06-09-2013
We too have a separate room for infants/ young toddlers (up to 18/20m). We do use infant equipment. So we have two bouncers in there, we also have bouncy chairs/papasan chairs/ etc that we keep in the closet and pull-out as we use them.

We had large room dividers that we used to partition an area of the room off for all their PNPs - that way it feels a little separate and I think gives a little bit of an external cue that it is nap time.

We have a rocker in the corner of the room, and a large changing table. There is a PNP out in the main area of the room where our youngest infant (4 mo) sleeps since she isn't napping when the rest of the kids do. Also, we do her tummy time, etc in there so she is protected from the crawling/toddling infants.

We have large toys in that room, so that there aren't too many toys kept out al the time to dump and scatter. And then in the closet we keep their toys/sensory bins. A bucket of soft both toys, and a box of small toys are available at all times.

This picture is a little older, and things look slightly different now - will take a picture tomorrow.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Laurel 06:24 PM 06-09-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have a separate room for infants. In that room is a PNP. I don't use any other type of infant equipment so no swings, no bouncers etc...

As for toys, I have:
  • tons of soft blocks
  • board books
  • infant/toddler size stools with a small table
  • dolls
  • chunky trucks and cars
  • plastic connecting beads
  • sorting toys
  • rattles and chew toys
  • extra large Duplo blocks
  • musical instruments
  • a couple large playground type balls

I think that is about it
Do you have two adults? Otherwise I can't figure out how you can use two separate rooms. That would be ideal to have a separate room but how?

Thanks, Laurel
LaLa1923 06:31 PM 06-09-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:
Do you have two adults? Otherwise I can't figure out how you can use two separate rooms. That would be ideal to have a separate room but how?

Thanks, Laurel
I believe she has an open floor plan. her setup is very interesting.

My living room is for my infants, my playroom is for the older kids. I have cameras.
LaLa1923 06:31 PM 06-09-2013

As for toys, I have:
  • tons of soft blocks
  • board books
  • infant/toddler size stools with a small table
  • dolls
  • chunky trucks and cars
  • plastic connecting beads
  • sorting toys
  • rattles and chew toys
  • extra large Duplo blocks
  • musical instruments
  • a couple large playground type balls

I think that is about it
How come you don't use any equipment?
LaLa1923 06:36 PM 06-09-2013
I have a exersaucer bouncey thing

Soft Sassy Mirrors

Blocks

Chunky little people

Stacking cups

Stacking half circle number things

Baby Rattles

Small Baby Toys

Teething Toys

Soft stuffed animal toys

lots more!
Blackcat31 08:14 AM 06-10-2013

Thanks, Laurel
What do you mean how I use two separate rooms? My regulations don't require me to have all the kids in the same room.

I have an entire house just for child care.

I don't live here.

I have a coat room, a kitchen, a dining room/area, a living room, 2 bedrooms and a bathroom.

Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
How come you don't use any equipment?
I just think the liability in using infant equipment is too much to take on.

I also feel that babies learn self-help skills alot faster without use of equipment and I also feel that use of equipment creates a false sense of security for the baby and then when they out grow the jumper or the bouncer, they look to an adult to produce those same kinds of activities and I don't have the arms, the time or the want to do that....kwim?

It has just worked out much easier to not create that need from the get go... atleast for me.
Laurel 09:01 AM 06-10-2013
What do you mean how I use two separate rooms? My regulations don't require me to have all the kids in the same room.

I have an entire house just for child care.

I don't live here.

I have a coat room, a kitchen, a dining room/area, a living room, 2 bedrooms and a bathroom.

I just think the liability in using infant equipment is too much to take on.

I also feel that babies learn self-help skills alot faster without use of equipment and I also feel that use of equipment creates a false sense of security for the baby and then when they out grow the jumper or the bouncer, they look to an adult to produce those same kinds of activities and I don't have the arms, the time or the want to do that....kwim?

It has just worked out much easier to not create that need from the get go... atleast for me.
I just wonder how you can see them at all times unless you are in the same room with them. We don't have to be in the same room by regulations but we must be able to see the children at all times.

Laurel
Blackcat31 09:13 AM 06-10-2013
I just wonder how you can see them at all times unless you are in the same room with them. We don't have to be in the same room by regulations but we must be able to see the children at all times.

Laurel
We don't have to be able to see them either.

I can though as my kitchen/dining room is the center of the house and ALL other rooms branch off the kitchen/dining room area.

If I am standing in the kitchen, I can see into all the rooms.

I also have mirrors (like the convenience stores have) so I can see ALL the corners and nooks of a room too.

Since I don't actually live in this house, there is no adult sized furniture and nothing the kids can get in to. Everything is for them.

Makes it super easy to separate off any age group I want into whatever room I want.

Licensing here says "within sight OR sound" so I do not have to keep everyone within direct eyesight.

MN rules are pretty simple and not at all as tough or as "impossible" as I have read about for states.
Laurel 09:56 AM 06-10-2013
We don't have to be able to see them either.

I can though as my kitchen/dining room is the center of the house and ALL other rooms branch off the kitchen/dining room area.

If I am standing in the kitchen, I can see into all the rooms.

I also have mirrors (like the convenience stores have) so I can see ALL the corners and nooks of a room too.

Since I don't actually live in this house, there is no adult sized furniture and nothing the kids can get in to. Everything is for them.

Makes it super easy to separate off any age group I want into whatever room I want.

Licensing here says "within sight OR sound" so I do not have to keep everyone within direct eyesight.

MN rules are pretty simple and not at all as tough or as "impossible" as I have read about for states.
Oh okay, I couldn't figure out how you could do that.

Laurel
Laurel 09:59 AM 06-10-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
I believe she has an open floor plan. her setup is very interesting.

My living room is for my infants, my playroom is for the older kids. I have cameras.
Oh okay, I do have a mirror but it is just a daycare type one that is for them to look at themselves in (best thing I ever bought). I did notice I could see more in the room that way but just discovered that by accident.

I'm not sure if we're allowed to do that or not. I think I may try to find out.
I'm not sure I would but it could be an option anyway.

Laurel
Laurel 10:09 AM 06-10-2013
Just looked it up. We must be in the same room. Don't think I would do it anyway but I can't so it doesn't matter.

Laurel
Lyss 10:48 AM 06-10-2013
I just have one portion divided off with a gate (like a super yard gate). I have a bouncer but no swing or other equipment. As for toys I have board books, a mirror mounted at base of wall, teething toys, sorting toys, soft blocks, and a few other odds and ends toys.
Tags:infant, layout
Reply Up