Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Summer Fees
M_A 09:56 AM 02-13-2018
Hi, I'm having a hard time on whether or not to charge parents during the summer. Rt now I charge $125 weekly unless they are a drop in ($25 day). Please can you give me advise on what to charge parents and how to word it. Thanks!
Blackcat31 10:23 AM 02-13-2018
Originally Posted by M_A:
Hi, I'm having a hard time on whether or not to charge parents during the summer. Rt now I charge $125 weekly unless they are a drop in ($25 day). Please can you give me advise on what to charge parents and how to word it. Thanks!
I charge the same weekly rate all year round.

My policies state "fees are based on enrollment not on attendance or time used".

I don't give discounts or credit for time off.
amberrose3dg 10:27 AM 02-13-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I charge the same weekly rate all year round.

My policies state "fees are based on enrollment not on attendance or time used".

I don't give discounts or credit for time off.
Same here. Summer is more work usually too.
Cat Herder 10:38 AM 02-13-2018
Tuition is the same year round, here.

Do you close for the summer?
M_A 11:35 AM 02-13-2018
I just opened in August so really new to all of this. I am an all year round daycare so figuring out what to charge for the summer as we will be going swimming and other activities that do charge is stressing me out because I don't want to scare the families off but also don't want to charge so little either. I do plan on having them pay full rate through out the summer as well just not sure how much extra do I add in to that fee for summer.Thanks for replying!
storybookending 11:43 AM 02-13-2018
I don’t transport so I don’t really run into this issue but can you change a “field trip fee”. The center I worked on did this. Every day of a field trip they paid an additional amount outside of tuition. They charged $4 per trip. Parents could then opt out of the trip, not bring their children that day, or pay the fee. Weekly rates did not change. After a few years of this they just upped the weekly rate $4, even though their wasn’t a weekly field trip, and stopped charging the fee altogether.
CityGarden 11:45 AM 02-13-2018
Originally Posted by M_A:
I just opened in August so really new to all of this. I am an all year round daycare so figuring out what to charge for the summer as we will be going swimming and other activities that do charge is stressing me out because I don't want to scare the families off but also don't want to charge so little either. I do plan on having them pay full rate through out the summer as well just not sure how much extra do I add in to that fee for summer.Thanks for replying!
This makes more sense.

I also do not transport children other than walking to the park, pet store, police department...... so it's all cost effective. My expenses are higher in summer but I do not increase my rates... I charge the same amount year round and my expenses balance out with some months having no out of pocket expenses and other months being expensive. All those items would be tax write offs I figure.

If you are not in a position to cover the expenses and you feel your program would suffer without them maybe charge an annual supply/materials fee or an annual registration fee, I know some providers charge parents a field trips fee.
Tags:summer rates
Reply Up