Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Starting Daycare-What Inspectors Actually Look At
Jessicaclark 08:16 AM 03-11-2014
Hello. I am new to this site and I am starting the process to opening my own in home daycare in Michigan. I have a copy of the Handbooks needed, but have I have some questions in regards to when you get inspected, what are the inspectors actually look at?
For example it does not state in the handbook anything about raised hearths on fireplaces, am I required to have some type of protection around the edge?
Also it states to not use the Accordion type baby gates-but the daycare my children go to right now uses one, is this something that they don't inspect?
When it comes to outdoor equipment-do they actually measure everything and check all the bolts etc? Obviously, I want the play set to be safe, and I plan to have everything to the requirements, just curious to know exactly what is involved in the inspections.

Thank you. I'm sure many of my questions can and will be answered in my orientation, but until I go through that I figured I would ask.
Blackcat31 08:24 AM 03-11-2014
Welcome to the forum!

We have many members from Michigan so I am sure someone will answer your questions soon.
Jessicaclark 08:36 AM 03-11-2014
Thank you.
butterfly 08:36 AM 03-11-2014
I'm not in MI, but my licensor does inspect every requirement. They measure railings, check smoke alarms/fire extinguishers, etc. etc. If there is anything at all that you are questioning if it's safe, I'd find a way to make sure it's safe. (fireplace). More than likely if you thought it may not be 100% safe, a child will find a way to hurt themselves on it.

Welcome to the forum and to daycare!
Starburst 08:46 AM 03-11-2014
Every state has it's own regulations, but some are general baby-proofing and emergency/ evacuation plans.

Some ideas for safety measures:
http://www.simplydaycare.com/daycare-safety.html
http://www.simplydaycare.com/child-safety-tips.html
TwinKristi 09:39 AM 03-11-2014
I'm in CA but my inspector didn't measure anything or check half the things I was anticipating. I had a pre-inspection through R&R and they were more thorough than my actual inspection.
Play Care 09:57 AM 03-11-2014
Do you have your states manual? My inspector literally goes right down the line. You are either in compliance or you are not. Easy peasy.
I can't speak to your state but in mine the inspectors/licensors are pretty helpful and really just want to make sure the kids are safe.
You also might find that things get overlooked on one visit - but if there is one thing I've learned it's that eventually they will catch it.
llpa 10:14 AM 03-11-2014
Mine uses the checklist that is in the state's handbook for group dc homes. Good luck
Unregistered 10:55 AM 03-11-2014
Thank you to everyone who replied. I definitely plan to make sure everything on the checklist is how it should be, but little details like the fireplace that aren't listed I wasn't sure if it was required or if I would have to fix it and have another inspection done. My goal (as is anyone starting a daycare I'm sure) is to have everything be right to the requirements for the first inspection.

Thank you again. Everyone seems to be very helpful on this site.
Starburst 05:24 PM 03-11-2014
oops, technical difficulty
melilley 06:03 PM 03-11-2014
Hi and welcome! I am from MI too!

My inspector just went down the list, it sounds like you may have the checklist. She didn't inspect my outdoor area because I opened Jan of 2013 and there was a lot of snow on the ground, she did look through the window though.

As for the fireplace hearth, I have a raised one and I put that pipe liner stuff on the edges. She said that was great, but I should have pillows or something covering the front of it just in case a child fell into it.

She checked every room, even if it wasn't going go be used for dc. She didn't thoroughly inspect the non daycare rooms, but did look.

Don't forget to check your water temp! I forgot and had to write a statement saying I would fix that.

I'm trying to think of anymore "hidden" things that they expect, but just can't. Even for the fireplace though, she just suggested covering the front, it wasn't a requirement.
Oh, and also every room that children sleep in, has to have a smoke detector. I know it's a given for bedrooms, but say you needed to have a child sleep in the living room or something, there has to be a detector.

Did you go to orientation yet? If no, I would ask this question!

Good luck! And if I think of anything else, I'll let you know!
melilley 06:07 PM 03-11-2014
Also, the inspection wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. My inspector was really nice!

Oh and she also checked to make sure I had at least 2 emergency contacts written down in case someone has to come and take over for you in case of an emergency.
Jessicaclark 06:58 AM 03-12-2014
Thank you so much for your help. Help from anyone is awesome but hearing from someone with the exact same requirements is a huge help!

I am nervous about the inspection. I am trying to make sure everything is done exactly as specified in the handbook/checklist. The fireplace never concerned me until the other day. I planned on putting the bumper on the edge, but on one side of my fireplace is an entire wall of rock that is on the fireplace itself-so that worries me on what they may say.

As far as the smoke detectors-I already have one in each room. My kitchen, dining room and living room are completely open except the fireplace being in the middle of them-so there is only one smoke detector there.

On the emergency contacts-do they have to be someone within so many miles or minutes? I have been told that was the case.

I haven't done the orientation yet, I plan on it soon. Is it true that your orientation counts towards your training hours? I haven't put my application in yet because I wanted to make sure my outdoor area was complete before doing that so when they came it was 100% done.
melilley 07:49 AM 03-12-2014
Originally Posted by Jessicaclark:
Thank you so much for your help. Help from anyone is awesome but hearing from someone with the exact same requirements is a huge help!

I am nervous about the inspection. I am trying to make sure everything is done exactly as specified in the handbook/checklist. The fireplace never concerned me until the other day. I planned on putting the bumper on the edge, but on one side of my fireplace is an entire wall of rock that is on the fireplace itself-so that worries me on what they may say.

As far as the smoke detectors-I already have one in each room. My kitchen, dining room and living room are completely open except the fireplace being in the middle of them-so there is only one smoke detector there.

On the emergency contacts-do they have to be someone within so many miles or minutes? I have been told that was the case.

I haven't done the orientation yet, I plan on it soon. Is it true that your orientation counts towards your training hours? I haven't put my application in yet because I wanted to make sure my outdoor area was complete before doing that so when they came it was 100% done.
I want to say that my inspector asked if my emergency contacts were within a 10 min. reach.

As for the fireplace, she suggested to put pillows in front of it.

Orientation counts for 6 hours of training! It took about 3-4 weeks for them to come and inspect after I went to orientation.

What do you have to do to your outdoor area? As long as you have stuff for them to do -all you are required to have is motor activities for them to do, like balls, hula hoops etc. And if anything is more than 3 ft above the ground you have to have ground cover (which I'm sure you already know!).

Oh another thing that I don't think is in the checklist is if you have a trampoline, you have to have the sides on it and a lock. If you have a hot tub, it also has to have a cover and a lock. I'm not sure what you have to do if you have a pool..I can't remember.

What area are you around if you don't mind me asking? I'm near Lansing!
Jessicaclark 12:54 PM 03-12-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Hi and welcome! I am from MI too!

My inspector just went down the list, it sounds like you may have the checklist. She didn't inspect my outdoor area because I opened Jan of 2013 and there was a lot of snow on the ground, she did look through the window though.

As for the fireplace hearth, I have a raised one and I put that pipe liner stuff on the edges. She said that was great, but I should have pillows or something covering the front of it just in case a child fell into it.

She checked every room, even if it wasn't going go be used for dc. She didn't thoroughly inspect the non daycare rooms, but did look.

Don't forget to check your water temp! I forgot and had to write a statement saying I would fix that.

I'm trying to think of anymore "hidden" things that they expect, but just can't. Even for the fireplace though, she just suggested covering the front, it wasn't a requirement.
Oh, and also every room that children sleep in, has to have a smoke detector. I know it's a given for bedrooms, but say you needed to have a child sleep in the living room or something, there has to be a detector.

Did you go to orientation yet? If no, I would ask this question!

Good luck! And if I think of anything else, I'll let you know!
I want to say that my inspector asked if my emergency contacts were within a 10 min. reach.

As for the fireplace, she suggested to put pillows in front of it.

Orientation counts for 6 hours of training! It took about 3-4 weeks for them to come and inspect after I went to orientation.

What do you have to do to your outdoor area? As long as you have stuff for them to do -all you are required to have is motor activities for them to do, like balls, hula hoops etc. And if anything is more than 3 ft above the ground you have to have ground cover (which I'm sure you already know!).

Oh another thing that I don't think is in the checklist is if you have a trampoline, you have to have the sides on it and a lock. If you have a hot tub, it also has to have a cover and a lock. I'm not sure what you have to do if you have a pool..I can't remember.

What area are you around if you don't mind me asking? I'm near Lansing!

Ok. I have one emergency contact within 10 minutes the other is about 15 minutes away. Guess that may need to be changed.

Awesome on the 6 hours for orientation- I will have all my hours. So maybe I should get that going here in the next week or so.

The outdoor area- I have motor skills activities already. We have to paint our shed that we put up last year before winter and I need to do a few small improvements to my swing set/play set. Also need to put the ground coverings down. We have just been waiting for all this snow to melt and to get a bit warmer to paint. As far as trampoline, pool, hot tub etc. I don't have any of those. So I'm set there

I'm near Grand Ledge and Charlotte.
Childminder 10:22 PM 03-12-2014
Originally Posted by :
For example it does not state in the handbook anything about raised hearths on fireplaces, am I required to have some type of protection around the edge? Yes, I had to put a protective edge on mine and inspectors that have inspected check this too, I think because it was a corrective issue at initial inspection and my inspector wouldn't let me use pillows because my heath had cushions already.
Also it states to not use the Accordion type baby gates-but the daycare my children go to right now uses one, is this something that they don't inspect? I could not have the wooden accordion ones
When it comes to outdoor equipment-do they actually measure everything and check all the bolts etc? My first inspector checked for loose screws and actually went down the slide. Other inspectors have barely glanced at it but all have checked cushioning under the fall zone. Obviously, I want the play set to be safe, and I plan to have everything to the requirements, just curious to know exactly what is involved in the inspections.
Every inspector is completely different but if you have the licensing check list and are comfortable with having done everything you are good. Water temp is always checked. All rooms are checked but off limit areas are glanced at, I guess so you aren't hiding children( like the lady in NC that was hiding 14 children).

Originally Posted by :
Ok. I have one emergency contact within 10 minutes the other is about 15 minutes away. Guess that may need to be changed.
I think you are referring to your emergency relief person and not the children's emergency contact. It says that they are to be close geographically, mine is 2 miles away.

Do you have a carbon monoxide detector? Make certain your refrigerator is correct temp, I had one check once. Tooth paste, razors, shampoo, etc...out of reach. Paper toweling or individual cloths for hand drying. Vinyl or plastic covering for changing area has no holes or cracks.

I'm not saying you will get checked for all of the above but you might get checked for some. If I think of more I'll let you know. By the way I love my inspector that I have now and all but one have been super nice. Oh! I'm in Waterford.
originalkat 06:35 AM 03-13-2014
I have found it depends on the inspector and how long they have been on the job. The first 5 years I got several different inspectors and they each checked different things (some more thorough than others). This last year I got a new inspector and she went so far as to count the bandages in my first aid kit and write me up for having the wrong size. WOW. She also wrote me up in error for two other regs and I emailed her with the copy and pasted regs stating otherwise. Grrrrr!!! She changed it....BUT STILL! I was never written up for ANYTHING before that. Unfortunately I will be getting her again this year.
melilley 07:06 AM 03-13-2014

Awesome on the 6 hours for orientation- I will have all my hours. So maybe I should get that going here in the next week or so.

The outdoor area- I have motor skills activities already. We have to paint our shed that we put up last year before winter and I need to do a few small improvements to my swing set/play set. Also need to put the ground coverings down. We have just been waiting for all this snow to melt and to get a bit warmer to paint. As far as trampoline, pool, hot tub etc. I don't have any of those. So I'm set there

I'm near Grand Ledge and Charlotte.
I'm actually in Delta Township/Grand Ledge! My mailing address is Lansing, but we are Grand Ledge schools, it's weird.

For your training hours, did you know that we have to have 10 a year?

They won't mind that your shed isn't painted.

And like childminder and other pp's have said, every inspector is different. Most things are common sense like making sure everything the kids aren't supposed to have, is out of reach, child locks on cabinets containing things the children can't have-any cabinet w/ poisons or breakable glassware and of course sharp objects etc...

Oh make sure nothing is w/in 3 ft. of your furnace! I'm sure that's on the checklist...just something I thought of.

If you go through the checklist and read the Licensing Rules book, I'm sure you'll be fine! And if there is something you get cited for, they will make a written plan and you have to say how you'll fix it and do it. And as long as it's nothing terrible, that's all you have to do. (I got cited for my water being 2 degrees too hot..)

I'm assuming that you are in Ingham or Eaton county. All of the ladies that are consultants (licensors) for those counties are super nice!
Jessicaclark 07:06 AM 03-13-2014
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Every inspector is completely different but if you have the licensing check list and are comfortable with having done everything you are good. Water temp is always checked. All rooms are checked but off limit areas are glanced at, I guess so you aren't hiding children( like the lady in NC that was hiding 14 children).

I think you are referring to your emergency relief person and not the children's emergency contact. It says that they are to be close geographically, mine is 2 miles away.

Do you have a carbon monoxide detector? Make certain your refrigerator is correct temp, I had one check once. Tooth paste, razors, shampoo, etc...out of reach. Paper toweling or individual cloths for hand drying. Vinyl or plastic covering for changing area has no holes or cracks.

I'm not saying you will get checked for all of the above but you might get checked for some. If I think of more I'll let you know. By the way I love my inspector that I have now and all but one have been super nice. Oh! I'm in Waterford.
Thank you for the information. What does the refrigerator need to be at? Also the changing area-may be a dumb question- but do you have to have a changing table? Or just a changing area? I know you must has a mat or something to change on, but does it have to be a table?
Little details like that aren't on the checklist or handbook.
And I do have a carbon monoxide detector.
Jessicaclark 07:08 AM 03-13-2014
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I have found it depends on the inspector and how long they have been on the job. The first 5 years I got several different inspectors and they each checked different things (some more thorough than others). This last year I got a new inspector and she went so far as to count the bandages in my first aid kit and write me up for having the wrong size. WOW. She also wrote me up in error for two other regs and I emailed her with the copy and pasted regs stating otherwise. Grrrrr!!! She changed it....BUT STILL! I was never written up for ANYTHING before that. Unfortunately I will be getting her again this year.
That's crazy that you were written up for the wrong size bandages. I guess I wouldn't think of that. What are the correct sizes?
Jessicaclark 07:24 AM 03-13-2014
I'm actually in Delta Township/Grand Ledge! My mailing address is Lansing, but we are Grand Ledge schools, it's weird.

For your training hours, did you know that we have to have 10 a year?

They won't mind that your shed isn't painted.

And like childminder and other pp's have said, every inspector is different. Most things are common sense like making sure everything the kids aren't supposed to have, is out of reach, child locks on cabinets containing things the children can't have-any cabinet w/ poisons or breakable glassware and of course sharp objects etc...

Oh make sure nothing is w/in 3 ft. of your furnace! I'm sure that's on the checklist...just something I thought of.

If you go through the checklist and read the Licensing Rules book, I'm sure you'll be fine! And if there is something you get cited for, they will make a written plan and you have to say how you'll fix it and do it. And as long as it's nothing terrible, that's all you have to do. (I got cited for my water being 2 degrees too hot..)

I'm assuming that you are in Ingham or Eaton county. All of the ladies that are consultants (licensors) for those counties are super nice!

Thank you. I am Eaton county..Charlotte schools. I think I might be making a bigger deal out of this than I should or worrying a little too much than I should be. I'm just the type of person that wants to make sure everything is perfect, as much as possible at least.

As far as the training hours, I did know we had to have 10 a year. Thank you though

My furnace is in my laundry room, in its own kind of closet. So nothing can be put with it or by it. Same goes for my water heater.

Again, thank you for your help
melilley 07:54 AM 03-13-2014
Thank you. I am Eaton county..Charlotte schools. I think I might be making a bigger deal out of this than I should or worrying a little too much than I should be. I'm just the type of person that wants to make sure everything is perfect, as much as possible at least.

Again, thank you for your help
No problem!

I was the same way! After the inspection, I wondered what I was so nervous for!
melilley 08:00 AM 03-13-2014
Thank you for the information. What does the refrigerator need to be at? Also the changing area-may be a dumb question- but do you have to have a changing table? Or just a changing area? I know you must has a mat or something to change on, but does it have to be a table?
Little details like that aren't on the checklist or handbook.
And I do have a carbon monoxide detector.
You don't have to have a changing table. The mat has to be on a surface that can be sanitized like tile or you can even set it on a plastic shower curtain. The changing area has to be away from play areas though.

Don't forget a non smoking sign..just thought of that.

I don't know if you know about this already, but there is a technical assistance manual you can look it. It's the licensing rules, but they explain them in detail, it gives the rationale, technical assistance, and consultation for each rule. It may help, it helped me!
Here is the link:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dh...20140313105741
Childminder 09:02 AM 03-13-2014
Originally Posted by :
Actually it's four feet.
I'll check on the fridge temp but I think it's below 40. 0_o

You'll do fine you will be more than prepared I'm sure. It is nervewracking cause it's your first.
Jessicaclark 10:15 AM 03-13-2014
You don't have to have a changing table. The mat has to be on a surface that can be sanitized like tile or you can even set it on a plastic shower curtain. The changing area has to be away from play areas though.

Don't forget a non smoking sign..just thought of that.

I don't know if you know about this already, but there is a technical assistance manual you can look it. It's the licensing rules, but they explain them in detail, it gives the rationale, technical assistance, and consultation for each rule. It may help, it helped me!
Here is the link:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dh...20140313105741

No did not know about that site (manual) thank you!!!
And maybe it says in there..but do you have to have a LANDLINE or can a cell phone work? Oh all the questions I have

Also thank you on the changing table question/answer. I was planning on having a pad to use in the bathroom, but wanted to make sure that would work or if I needed to purchase a table.
Jessicaclark 10:16 AM 03-13-2014
Actually it's four feet.

You'll do fine you will be more than prepared I'm sure. It is nervewracking cause it's your first.
Thank you.
I am very nervous. The more I think about it..the more questions I have. Still have the orientation to do, maybe that will help me some also.
melilley 10:40 AM 03-13-2014
And maybe it says in there..but do you have to have a LANDLINE or can a cell phone work? Oh all the questions I have

Also thank you on the changing table question/answer. I was planning on having a pad to use in the bathroom, but wanted to make sure that would work or if I needed to purchase a table.
You don't have to have a landline. You used to have to, but now you just have to make sure you have a charged phone at all times.

Ask away!
melilley 10:44 AM 03-13-2014
Actually it's four feet.

Oopsie, it is 4 ft. I think it is 40.0 for the fridge. They didn't check mine. One question, we only have to have a first aid kit if we drive the kids in a vehicle right? I don't have one (I know I should anyways) and she didn't ask, but just in case they ask next time.
Jessicaclark 10:44 AM 03-13-2014
You don't have to have a landline. You used to have to, but now you just have to make sure you have a charged phone at all times.

Ask away!
Awesome thank you. That's kind of what I thought going off what it states in the handbook.
melilley 10:47 AM 03-13-2014

Yes, that site has everything you will ever need as far as forms that you can download like attendance, manuals, lots of things! Here is the main site:

http://www.michigan.gov/dhs/0,4562,7...529---,00.html
originalkat 11:31 AM 03-13-2014
That's crazy that you were written up for the wrong size bandages. I guess I wouldn't think of that. What are the correct sizes?
They wanted 4x4 and I had 4x6.
Jessicaclark 11:42 AM 03-13-2014
Oopsie, it is 4 ft. I think it is 40.0 for the fridge. They didn't check mine. One question, we only have to have a first aid kit if we drive the kids in a vehicle right? I don't have one (I know I should anyways) and she didn't ask, but just in case they ask next time.

Thank you. I hope the way my furnace is set up it will work.
For the first aid kit..I'm not positive, but I would assume as long as you have all the first aid material needed if a child was to get injured, that's what matters. Not sure much of a "kit" like needed for a vehicle.
Jessicaclark 11:44 AM 03-13-2014
Yes, that site has everything you will ever need as far as forms that you can download like attendance, manuals, lots of things! Here is the main site:

http://www.michigan.gov/dhs/0,4562,7...529---,00.html
Thank you!
Jessicaclark 11:44 AM 03-13-2014
Originally Posted by originalkat:
They wanted 4x4 and I had 4x6.
Hmm good to know. Thank you.
Childminder 02:07 PM 03-13-2014
You only need a first aid kid in a car if you are transporting kids as wel as their info.
The in home first aid is very specific about what goes in it, look in the Tech manual for the list. Oh! The number one thing that inspectors mark down for is paperwork or lack of. Make certain that a child's state required forms are filled out COMPLETELY! They will check! And make sure the don't put n/a or a line through it. That will be covered in your orientation very thoroughly.
Childminder 02:13 PM 03-13-2014
After you go to orientation it will be up to 90 days before the inspector shows up and they told us it's usually on the 89th day. You will have lots of time to get your ducks in a row. Write a list of any questions you have and take it with you.
Jessicaclark 06:19 PM 03-13-2014
After you go to orientation it will be up to 90 days before the inspector shows up and they told us it's usually on the 89th day. You will have lots of time to get your ducks in a row. Write a list of any questions you have and take it with you.
Thank you for the information. I will have to sign up for my orientation soon. I printed off the Tech. Assistance manual to read through and put in a binder to keep handy.

I have to say I am so thankful I found this forum. Has been so much help! Thank you to everyone who has given advice and answered my questions.
melilley 05:50 AM 03-14-2014
Lol, that's what I thought and she came two weeks after orientation! I didn't even have any kids yet! I put earlier that it took 3-4 weeks, but I got my paper registration/license 4 weeks after orientation.
Jessicaclark 06:20 AM 03-14-2014
Lol, that's what I thought and she came two weeks after orientation! I didn't even have any kids yet! I put earlier that it took 3-4 weeks, but I got my paper registration/license 4 weeks after orientation.
I spoke to my husband last night about how long it possibly could take. He said it would be our luck that we have some things unfinished like our wood chips in the play area that we have to wait for this snow to melt to put down and the inspector would come early. So we have decided to just wait a little longer before I do the orientation.

Just to clarify..do I put the application in then sign up for orientation? Or does it not matter what order I do that in??
melilley 06:53 AM 03-14-2014
I spoke to my husband last night about how long it possibly could take. He said it would be our luck that we have some things unfinished like our wood chips in the play area that we have to wait for this snow to melt to put down and the inspector would come early. So we have decided to just wait a little longer before I do the orientation.

Just to clarify..do I put the application in then sign up for orientation? Or does it not matter what order I do that in??
You send in your application first and then they will contact you with a day and time for orientation. I believe they only do them once a month, but not 100% sure on that.

Just a tip about the wood chips- Instead of buying bags of wood chips, if possible, get them from a landscape co. And many landscape companies have "playground" wood chips that are cheaper than regular wood chips and are chemical free. I know Hammond Farms in Dewitt sells them, that's where we went, but I'm not sure if other co. sell them around here.
Jessicaclark 12:42 PM 03-14-2014
You send in your application first and then they will contact you with a day and time for orientation. I believe they only do them once a month, but not 100% sure on that.

Just a tip about the wood chips- Instead of buying bags of wood chips, if possible, get them from a landscape co. And many landscape companies have "playground" wood chips that are cheaper than regular wood chips and are chemical free. I know Hammond Farms in Dewitt sells them, that's where we went, but I'm not sure if other co. sell them around here.
Glad I asked on the application process! Thank you!

We were planning on buying the wood chips in bulk like that. As far as the playground type.. I knew they had such a thing, didn't know they were cheaper though. Awesome to know.
Tags:inspection, inspection - first
Reply Up