Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Both Parents Upset
Little Star75 11:09 AM 05-01-2013
So today my usual dck were here, most of you recall yesterday's thread about dck having green mucus with blood.... Well today both siblings come to daycare still coughing, dcg still has blood with green mucus, dcb was about to puke complaining about his throat. I texted both parent (btw parents are separated) parent responded quickly "ok I will pick them up" DCP gets here doesn't say a word to me looked very upset, got the kids and left and didn't say bye.

I honestly don't know what to do, I feel like I'm going to lose this family too I feel like I'm being unreliable . Dad works at night and hasn't slept, I feel horrible.

Another child has had runny nose (very green) I text (btw this is our way of communication since Dcp is a nurse) DCP and said child has runny nose and needs to be picked up. DCP responded "ok I have to take him to the doctor but as long as the doctors writes its ok to return, it's ok right?" I looked at the text and just laughed so I responded back and said "no it's the providers discretion and its my policy no green mucus, cough, etc" DCP responded "ok"

I don't know what to say and do anymore
Heidi 11:15 AM 05-01-2013
Sounds like family 1, the kiddos are acting sick, and the parents know they are sick. It's just inconvenient. Part of having kids, people.

As for the "no green snot" policy, if I did that, I couldn't stay in business. I would exclude them for that if they are also acting sick, but not based on that alone.

This might be helpful:

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/featu...t-mucus?page=2
Sugar Magnolia 11:32 AM 05-01-2013
Bloody mucus? Sounds serious. You did the right thing. Don't feel bad!
Patches 11:33 AM 05-01-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Sounds like family 1, the kiddos are acting sick, and the parents know they are sick. It's just inconvenient. Part of having kids, people.

As for the "no green snot" policy, if I did that, I couldn't stay in business. I would exclude them for that if they are also acting sick, but not based on that alone.

This might be helpful:

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/featu...t-mucus?page=2
This is kind of what I was thinking, too. I would exclude them if it was excwssive BUT they knew this policy before they signed up, right?
Oh BTW, yo did the right thing sending the dcg with bloody mucus home
littlemissmuffet 11:38 AM 05-01-2013
Originally Posted by Little Star75:
So today my usual dck were here, most of you recall yesterday's thread about dck having green mucus with blood.... Well today both siblings come to daycare still coughing, dcg still has blood with green mucus, dcb was about to puke complaining about his throat. I texted both parent (btw parents are separated) parent responded quickly "ok I will pick them up" DCP gets here doesn't say a word to me looked very upset, got the kids and left and didn't say bye.

I honestly don't know what to do, I feel like I'm going to lose this family too I feel like I'm being unreliable . Dad works at night and hasn't slept, I feel horrible.

Another child has had runny nose (very green) I text (btw this is our way of communication since Dcp is a nurse) DCP and said child has runny nose and needs to be picked up. DCP responded "ok I have to take him to the doctor but as long as the doctors writes its ok to return, it's ok right?" I looked at the text and just laughed so I responded back and said "no it's the providers discretion and its my policy no green mucus, cough, etc" DCP responded "ok"

I don't know what to say and do anymore
Start advertising and interviewing. Do you really want a family who cares that little about their own child to send them to daycare that sick, or a family that is so rude to you when you stick to your own COMMON SENSE policy not to send sick kids to your house?

Probably not. Get rid of them.
nanglgrl 11:40 AM 05-01-2013
My daughter has bloody mucus on a regular basis and its no big deal. Some people's nostrils bleed easily (especially children as their skin is thinner).
I would love to exclude for green snot but there is no way I would stay in business. My doctor even says not to exclude. I do exclude if they are acting lethargic, have a fever, bad cough or other symptoms though.
Heidi 11:42 AM 05-01-2013
I should add that I am not trying to tell you what you should or shouldn't do. Just telling you what I do and why. Your business=your policies!
Patches 11:43 AM 05-01-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I should add that I am not trying to tell you what you should or shouldn't do. Just telling you what I do and why. Your business=your policies!
Ditto
Cat Herder 11:47 AM 05-01-2013
Excluding for "Mild Illness" has become a thing of the past.

Today, the parents employment priorities are more important than the child's comfort. I don't say that as an insult to parents. It is a cultural shift.

Literally, the job has to come first, now. It is almost impossible for a family of 4 to survive on one parents income.

We are simply a changing industry, IMHO.
Blackcat31 12:01 PM 05-01-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Excluding for "Mild Illness" has become a thing of the past.

Today, the parents employment priorities are more important than the child's comfort. I don't say that as an insult to parents. It is a cultural shift.

Literally, the job has to come first, now. It is almost impossible for a family of 4 to survive on one parents income.

We are simply a changing industry, IMHO.
nice to see you!
Cat Herder 12:05 PM 05-01-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
nice to see you!
Well, Thank You...

I bet you have had the "Mild Illness" training video, too by now....
KDC 12:33 PM 05-01-2013
I had a child with thick green mucus, constantly wiping his nose. Turns out it was allergies, and once on medicine it cleared up.

It was green, thick and CONSTANT for over 2 weeks when I made the suggestion that his Mom take him to the Dr. She was not seeing the same thing I was because it was mainly outdoor allergies and they were not spending time outdoors as a family and always had air conditioning on. They thought I was exaggerating his symptoms, until they forgot his pills a few days and he had it during the weekend while outdoors. Green, thick mucus can be allergies.

I was really worried it was something more serious, glad it wasn't. It took 2 weeks before I insisted he have it looked at though (I was however kinda grossed out every time he mouthed a toy and stalked his every move with a wipe).

I usually think... would I still call the DCP's to pick up child if sending them home meant I wouldn't be getting paid for it. You're gut told you to send this child home, because you had HIS/HER best interest at heart, then you made the right decision. They may disagree - it's a part of this job I don't really like Hang in there!
cheerfuldom 12:54 PM 05-01-2013
I don't exclude for mild illness. Its just part of the job. I wouldn't necessarily exclude for bloody mucus either, although I would let the parents know about it. My oldest gets bloody noses all the time. allergies are rough on her and she does pick her nose a lot too (sorry, overshare)

I do think the parents need to be responsible about finding out what is behind prolonged illness though!

but I don't think its fair to harshly judge parents that are trying to maintain their jobs. I cant close down shop every time one of my kids gets a runny nose, so it should be no surprise that daycare parents can't either.

All that said, its important for the parents to figure out what the deal is. Its not right for them to be pouting or rude if you call to communicate or call for pickup.

Pretty much the only time I call for pickup is excessive crying (2 hours or more), vomiting, diarrhea or anything severe or emergency....a sudden allergic reaction or severe rash. that sort of thing.
crazydaycarelady 01:06 PM 05-01-2013
I also don't exclude for minor illness. Bloody mucus is fairly common in my area also because the air is so dry.
Little Star75 01:09 PM 05-01-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Bloody mucus? Sounds serious. You did the right thing. Don't feel bad!
Yes and this is day #2 with blood
Little Star75 01:11 PM 05-01-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
My daughter has bloody mucus on a regular basis and its no big deal. Some people's nostrils bleed easily (especially children as their skin is thinner).
I would love to exclude for green snot but there is no way I would stay in business. My doctor even says not to exclude. I do exclude if they are acting lethargic, have a fever, bad cough or other symptoms though.
Well these 2 kids from one parent were both sent home because not only they've had runny noses but also because dcg has had blood, both kids have coughs and dcb almost puked. The other dcb is from another parent.
daycare 01:26 PM 05-01-2013
Originally Posted by Little Star75:
Yes and this is day #2 with blood
What kind of blood are you talking? Big thick chunks of blood or small streams of blood.

You know best, you did what you felt was right at the time, don't feel bad about it.

I would send a text to the parents,check in and say just checking on how the kids are doing, I'm really concerned about the --------(fil in blank)

In the future maybe you should think about a different policy that still allows them to attend as long as the conditions are not extreme, the child can participate as normal and you are able to continue to provide a safe/clean environment for all children in your care.

You may also want to let the parents know that even though they make not be contagious their care cannot jeopardize the other care of the children.
DomsMom 01:34 PM 05-01-2013
Our neighbor child, my son't best friend has chronic sinusitis. He has colored mucus ALL THE TIME. If I didn't let him play here when he had that he would have never set foot in my house. If there is no fever and the mucus is not excessive I would allow them into care. I almost view runny noses and coughs as a "gimme" we're all going to get it no matter what. It's the fevers, vomiting and odd viruses like HFM, pinkeye and lice that I am a stickler for.
Tags:mild illness, sick children pickup
Reply Up