Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Parent Supposed to Start on Monday But Now Won't Start For 6 Weeks!!!
momofboys 04:57 PM 10-16-2010
Many of you saw my post last week with the infant struggling to take a bottle (mom was just using me to run errands, child had not started care FT). Mom called me today to say she got an extension on her maternity leave so she will now not be returning to work until the last week of November (after Turkey Day). Baby was supposed to begin Oct. 18th. Fine but I am not charging her a holding fee & I can not be without the $$ for that long. I have basically been counting the days til he started so I could have this extra income & have turned clients down!!! I have had a few people call me about care last week & was going to turn them down but for some reason I said I would meet with them (thank goodness!!!). I am thinking if I get someone to replace the baby that I will have to call mom to rescind our agreement. I just can't wait around for this mom to figure out when she will really go to work. Who am I to say that come the end of November she wants to extend her maternity leave again. How is the right way to approach her & give her the bad news? I want to be professional but I can't keep waiting when other people need me for care now.
Reply
legomom922 06:03 PM 10-16-2010
Did she sign a contract already? If so, depending on what you have in it, I would have her pay for at least 2 wks of care, and I would charge her a holding fee, and if not, tell her you cannot guarentee that there will be a spot open at teh end of Nov. How rude!!!
Reply
momofboys 06:56 PM 10-16-2010
She has signed my contract & returned it to me but it says nothing in there about what happens if she extends her maternity leave. I was polite on the phone with her but to be honest I had no clue how to respond. I honestly won't be too upset if she does not come to care with me b/c the potential clients I am looking at both have kids who are my son's age & also the age of the other little boy I watch. So they would be a good fit. I guess it just bothers me that she calls me 2 days before & asks for a 6 week extension without thinking about how this would effect me financially. I can't just sit & wait. Originally she was supposed to begin care the 4th week of Sept but her baby was born past his due date. Then b/c she had a c-section she took more time off which I do undertand BUT I can't hold the spot for free. Now I am totally understanding why so many of you charge to reserve a spot. I will not make this mistake again.
Reply
MommyMuffin 07:04 PM 10-16-2010
I would interview and if you like them call up the other mom and tell her that you cannot go without filling the infant spot and give her the option to pay the weekly fee while on maternity leave or forefit her spot in your daycare.
Reply
My4SunshineGirlsNY 07:43 PM 10-16-2010
I would do the same thing, if I had other people interested that are ready to start soon, I would take them in now....I know it stinks for the mom on maternity leave but it's business..you need to take what comes your way....I for one can't afford to wait around.
Reply
QualiTcare 08:14 PM 10-16-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
Did she sign a contract already? If so, depending on what you have in it, I would have her pay for at least 2 wks of care, and I would charge her a holding fee, and if not, tell her you cannot guarentee that there will be a spot open at teh end of Nov. How rude!!!
i really don't see anything "rude" about it. i can see why janarae would be frustrated from a provider's viewpoint, but i'm sure the mother isn't a provider. i'm sure she hasn't even thought about the janarae losing income - why would she? once again, provider's always say, "this is a business. it's a business decision, etc." well, that works both ways. the parents treat it like a business too - and they aren't going to use the services of a business that they don't need - no matter how bad the business needs the money.
Reply
momofboys 08:42 PM 10-16-2010
I think the part that bothers me about it the most is that as a provider I would never dream of calling a parent 2 days prior to their agreed-upon start date & saying I was not longer able to provide care. I just think it is a little rude. If I was the parent I would likely think about the fact that the provider is now out some $$$. I used to use a daycare provider when I used to WOTH so I do see it both ways. It's just frustrating. I'm hoping the PT kids work out well so I can break our contract.
Reply
TGT09 09:20 PM 10-16-2010
Good luck and I completely agree that the short notice is super rude! I had to recant a contract a few weeks ago that was due to start in January and it was not fun at all. She took it super well and completely understood. I also "helped" to give her other ideas and places to look. I will probably check in during December to make sure she's found other care. I felt horrible but I had to do what was right for me.
Reply
momofboys 06:25 AM 10-17-2010
Originally Posted by TGT09:
Good luck and I completely agree that the short notice is super rude! I had to recant a contract a few weeks ago that was due to start in January and it was not fun at all. She took it super well and completely understood. I also "helped" to give her other ideas and places to look. I will probably check in during December to make sure she's found other care. I felt horrible but I had to do what was right for me.
You gave plenty of notice though! I am supposed to meet with the two potential PT kids this week. So, if things work out with them I will call mom the end of this week. That would still give her 5 weeks to find care. The hard part is I think she still wants to use me here & there to run errands but honestly if I don't think keeping him will work b/c I will find other clients I am less than willing to do fill-in care when I won't have him on a long-term basis. I mean why put up with the rough adjustment phase if it is not necessary?
Reply
MarinaVanessa 11:13 AM 10-17-2010
Here's my 2 cents. She signed a contract with you right? I don't know what your contract says but mine has the specific start date on it and a clause about a two-week trial. If she is now belatedly moving her start date then she is changing the terms on the agreement which you as the provider have to agree to those terms.

With that in mind I would explain this to the parent and the part that you have had calls for this spot and have turned them down but have added them to a wait-list, and let her know that she can either
A) start on the date that was originally agreed
B) Pay a holding fee for you to hold her spot (if that's what you want to do and the holding fee is worth it to you)
If you both decide to have her pay a holding fee then let her know she needs to come back and sign a holding fee agreement and a new contract. The holding fee agreement should have a start and end date and the contract should have the new start date.

If she doesn't want to pay the holding fee and since she is changing the terms of the contract without your agreement then technically the contract is void, she will be breaching the contract. You can tell her this and let her know that you will start calling the people on your wait list or keep interviewing for the spot and if the spot is still open by the time she needs care then she can still have it, otherwise you will fill the spot. Good luck.
Reply
Unregistered 11:36 AM 10-17-2010
Me as a parent dang right I would take the extra time with my kid and not bring my child to daycare. Me as a provider would be frustarted and tell her she can either pay a depoist to hold the spot or you will be looking for someone else to fill the spot asap.
Reply
momofboys 04:32 PM 10-17-2010
[quote=MarinaVanessa;51187]Here's my 2 cents. She signed a contract with you right? I don't know what your contract says but mine has the specific start date on it and a clause about a two-week trial. If she is now belatedly moving her start date then she is changing the terms on the agreement which you as the provider have to agree to those terms.


There was no date b/c she did not obviously know when the baby would be born but we had agreed upon Oct 18 as the start daye (after baby's birth of course). She seemed wishy-washy about everything though, like she was not 100% sure about returning to work. Anyway, so I had spoken to potential-new client today & their child is coming tomorrow, I am so excited (we had already interviewed earlier this week, child is only p-t but I am still glad). In the interim I know I will need to call baby mama to explain to her that in essence our contract has been broken b/c I can not wait 6 weeks for you to start. I know she will not pay a holding fee (she seemed unhappy about paying a low summer fee when she is not working,s he's a teacher) so it's a waste of breath to ask. In the meantime baby mama calls me this afternoon to announce there is again a change of plans. I'm thinking oh great, I need to have this conversation NOW and not in a few days. She tells me only 24 hrs later that now she will be returning to work this week! I took a deep breath & said I am sorry but yesterday you called & told me you did not need me until after Thanksgiving. Because of this I have someone else lined up. I was going to call you later this week to let you know you know longer had a spot with me. I feel AWFUL,and she seemed upset. I did say I could fill in this week if she needed me. I hated to leave her in a lurch but who tells their sitter they don't need you for 6 weeks then re-contacts their boss to decide to return to work without consulting the sitter first? She sounded like she was crying & I felt bad & yet. . . . please tell me I did the right thing!
Reply
tmcp2001 07:28 PM 10-17-2010
Janrae, you did the right thing. You were only working with the information she had given you when you decided to fill the spot. She changed her mind too late! I'm sure you feel bad, I would too - however, she chose to go back on the agreement you had with (likely) little to no consideration for how that would affect you. You were within your right to fill that spot when she could not uphold her end of the agreement. Don't beat yourself up about this, her lack of planning does not make for your emergency! I wish you the best of luck with your new family!
Reply
momma2girls 07:34 PM 10-17-2010
I once had a family that I held a spot for 10 months for their baby to come! One week before she was to be starting, she calls, and says that the hrs. drop off and pick up was not going to work at all!! You have got to be kidding!!! I lost so much money!!! You live and learn the hard way with daycare!! I only charged her for a 2 week deposit!! I did change this for maternity leaves, etc. from now on!! I changed it to one week per month, that you would like for me to hold a spot for!
Reply
Live and Learn 07:58 PM 10-17-2010
I once held a spot for a couple of months for infant care...mom called and said that mom in law was going to watch for an extra month...I was ok with that because I had already started another infant...a month later the mom calls right before start date to say that breast fed baby won't take a bottle or rice cereal and she wants to leave baby with me at 7am and just come by at lunch hour to nurse........UH? NO THANKS!!!
Reply
SilverSabre25 09:06 PM 10-17-2010
whoops, wrong thread!
Reply
TGT09 05:49 AM 10-18-2010
You did the right thing! You had absolutely no way of knowing that this Mom was going to be so wishy washy! I understand "why" she was wishy washy but us as providers can't change plans/contracts/days/hours on a dime.

To be honest, I think you missed a bullet with this parent. She could have caused you a lot of undue stress in the coming weeks/months.
Reply
Lilbutterflie 07:03 AM 10-18-2010
I agree, I think you dodged a bullet on this one. You were SOOO lucky to get a new dck in just one day!!
I was recently put in a situation to hold a spot for 8 weeks for two out of three of my dck's!! They are going to be with their dad who lives out of state according to a custody agreement. I have now made a new portion in my contract:

Extended Leave:
Extended leave is any time a child is not in daycare for more than two consecutive weeks for any reason (maternity leave, a parent or child’s serious illness, teachers who have the summer off, out of state custody agreements, etc…). I do not offer an unpaid extended leave for families because my business and my income are based on my enrollment at all times. I do offer to keep the spot open for you using the following guidelines:

I will hold the spot open for up to 12 weeks at half your weekly rate. You may continue to bring your child during these weeks for 2 days a week at this rate. If you would like to continue to bring your child more than 2 days per week during this time, the regular daily rate will apply.

If the extended leave is unplanned (ex: a serious illness), full payment is expected for the first 2 consecutive weeks off.

Full payment for the first 2 consecutive weeks off of the extended leave is not expected if it is a planned leave of absence & I have received at least one month’s notice. If you start a week and then go on leave during the middle of the week (Wednesday or later), payment is expected at regular rate for that week, and then your “hold the spot” rate will start the following week. Extended leave payments are still due every Monday AM & follows the normal payment policy.

So if she had signed this contract; since this was an unplanned leave, she would need to pay for two full weeks, and then four weeks at half off.
Reply
momma2girls 07:24 AM 10-18-2010
I just had a family email me on a start date of the end of APril. SHe is a school teacher, so it will only be for a month and 1/2 if that. She was wanting me to hold a spot for 7 months for her, no dep. and only 1 1/2 months of daycare. She said she absolutely couldn't do my pick up time every evening, so she was only going to be coming here at the end of April til school was out!!??? Are you kidding me? There is such a need for infants here, I have a waiting list. She also said it takes her 2 hrs. every evening beyond school hrs. to get out of the school. I had written her back and said I was sorry, but I just couldn't do this for 7 months for her, and only be providing care for 1 1/2 months.
Reply
MarinaVanessa 08:53 AM 10-18-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
I just had a family email me on a start date of the end of APril. SHe is a school teacher, so it will only be for a month and 1/2 if that. She was wanting me to hold a spot for 7 months for her, no dep. and only 1 1/2 months of daycare. She said she absolutely couldn't do my pick up time every evening, so she was only going to be coming here at the end of April til school was out!!??? Are you kidding me? There is such a need for infants here, I have a waiting list. She also said it takes her 2 hrs. every evening beyond school hrs. to get out of the school. I had written her back and said I was sorry, but I just couldn't do this for 7 months for her, and only be providing care for 1 1/2 months.
Sounds like she should be looking for care close to her school or just getting like a college student to babysit/nanny in her home. It's only 1 1/2 months.
Reply
momma2girls 10:29 AM 10-18-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Sounds like she should be looking for care close to her school or just getting like a college student to babysit/nanny in her home. It's only 1 1/2 months.
SHe just needed it til summer(when she is off) then she has all summer, to look for someone that is open for at least 10-10 1/2 hrs. a day.
Reply
Tags:spot
Reply Up