Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is The Spot Held??
DaycareMama 10:59 AM 12-03-2010
I had a parent come back in October to hold a spot for their child. Spot becomes available in January. They left with a fraction of the required deposit put down. A small fraction. HOWEVER they never signed the Acceptance agreement or have they given me more money. They haven't brought back any paperwork. I have called and spoke to the parent twice and she still says she is coming. But at this point I am untrusting and turning down to many interested people for this spot. Do I have to hold the spot for her because I cashed the small deposit check?? It was agreed that full amount would be paid off between now and then (verbally). Should I mail her a letter asking her intent and giving her a deadline for complete deposit and paper work? What should it say?? Sorry for all the questions but I just dont know what to do. Honestly I dont even want this family anymore.
Blackcat31 11:03 AM 12-03-2010
Are deposits normally refunded at your childcare? If not, I'd move on and fill the space.....if they can't adhere to your rules this early on then I doubt they will later. If the deposit is refundable, I would send it back with a short note saying that none of the things she was suppose to be doing were done and you have other people interested who are willing to follow policy.
laundrymom 11:06 AM 12-03-2010
I would call her and tell her you need to know today and have the remainder by wed of next week or you will refund and fill the spot with someone on your waiting list even if you dont have one.
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Are deposits normally refunded at your childcare? If not, I'd move on and fill the space.....if they can't adhere to your rules this early on then I doubt they will later. If the deposit is refundable, I would send it back with a short note saying that none of the things she was suppose to be doing were done and you have other people interested who are willing to follow policy.

DaycareMama 11:12 AM 12-03-2010
In the acceptance letter she failed to sign it does state that if the agreement is broken or not followed thru with on her end they forfit their deposit. ( It's worded better then that )
Ya think I should send the small amount back ?? I honestly don't want to call again because I am weak and will be soft. My back bone is still growing
Blackcat31 11:15 AM 12-03-2010
I would fill the spot, keep the money and when she calls you next say "Oh, I'm sorry, When you never got back to me I figured you had made other arrangements so I filled the space but I would be happy to give you the number to the local childcare referal agency."
nannyde 11:16 AM 12-03-2010
I have called and spoke to the parent twice and she still says she is coming.

She's just saying words to you about it because saying words is free. It doesn't mean ANYTHING.

Just call her and tell her that she needs to have the paperwork and full deposit at your home by X day or you will have to fill the slot. I would give her like 48 hours to get it to you. If she wants the slot she will bring you the money as quickly as she says the words that she is coming.
DaycareMama 11:22 AM 12-03-2010
Thanks everyone
misol 11:33 AM 12-03-2010
I agree with laundymom and nannyde. I would call her and give her a short deadline for the paperwork and the money. Close of business Monday sounds good since she will have the whole weekend to think about it.

If your contract says nonrefundable then I would keep the deposit no matter how small it is.
momma2girls 02:56 PM 12-03-2010
I agree, I have again learned the hard way on this one as well. I held a spot for 10 months with a deposit and they backed out, saying my hrs. weren't going to work now. WOW!!!! I have done it with just a 2 week deposit and have been burned twice now. I have definately learned the hard way on this one. Tell the family, you need the deposit and the signed contract back immediately, or the one spot is not held!!
DaycareMama 05:45 PM 12-03-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
I agree, I have again learned the hard way on this one as well. I held a spot for 10 months with a deposit and they backed out, saying my hrs. weren't going to work now. WOW!!!! I have done it with just a 2 week deposit and have been burned twice now. I have definately learned the hard way on this one. Tell the family, you need the deposit and the signed contract back immediately, or the one spot is not held!!
This isn't the first time a parent says they're coming and flakes. Im actually really getting tired of it. I can't tell you how many referals I get from our child care council and these parents are soooo desperate for daycare then schedule a meeting to come meet with me and never show up. Some that even want to come that same day and are a no call no show. I dont get it?!

Business has been slow for quite a while now and today I had 3 different families call all with multiple kids. I was thrilled to hear the phone ring all day. BUT I can't help but to wonder how many will show? Or if this is a panic reaction to the unemployment benefit situation?! Who knows but it really is a kill joy.
Sorry about the vent but its so annoying!
Tags:deposit, spot, spot held
Reply Up