Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Articles about Child Abuse/Death in Unlicensed Home Daycares.....

in case anyone want to read....sounds like one of the deaths mentioned was positional asphyxiation in a swing, another was unsafe bedding/sleeping arrangement

http://www.stltoday.com/news/special...c2ff70eed.html

Macie's parents have a blog and they are coming up to the one year anniversary of Macie's death

http://angelbabymacie.blogspot.com/2...ay-1-year.html
Old 01-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Daycare.com Member

How tragic. Oh those poor parents. That is my biggest fear doing childcare and taking infants.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Daycare.com Member

I chose a center daycare initially because of horror stories like these. I feel sick about the shaken baby.These poor families. How many of you would trust an adult you just met to talk care of your infant 40-50 hours a week unsupervised? I realize the hypocrisy that I am a provider asking others to trust my unsupervised care, but home daycare frightens me and none of you great providers on here live near me.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:59 AM

These stories are so sad
Old 01-19-2012, 01:46 PM

If the proper research was done it is my guess that you would find more accidents/deaths in a childs/families home, than with a daycare provider whether it is a center, licensed, or unlicensed. Providers/centers always get a bad rap when it comes to things like this. Tragic yes, but......
Old 01-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Celebrating Daily!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
If the proper research was done it is my guess that you would find more accidents/deaths in a childs/families home, than with a daycare provider whether it is a center, licensed, or unlicensed. Providers/centers always get a bad rap when it comes to things like this. Tragic yes, but......
Just to show how bad of a rep daycares can get. The article linked in OP sited 9 child deaths in a daycare situation. According to MO's 2010 annual report found here: http://www.childdeathreview.org/spotlightMO.htm there were 915 child deaths in the state in 2010. 16 from SIDS, 614 natural, 221 unintentional injury, 60 homicide, 24 suicide, 13 undetermined injury, 24 undetermined.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:32 PM

I agree, daycares do get a bad rap sometimes. However, I think one of the intentions in the article are that daycares should be held to some sort of standard and regulations. For example, providers should know basic safe sleep standards (such as not laying down a baby on the tummy on a couch) and then should they disregard that, held to some consequence that at least prohibits them from watching children in the future (or at least warning parents of the possible issues with a provider). I realize that parents may give false claims however, there has to be some middle ground on educating and regulating providers while still allowing for good providers to continue their businesses. That was my point in posting this article (as well as the others I have posted in the past)

Its also a good reminder to all providers to be careful on a day-to-day basis about safety. We can't ever think "oh it can't happen to me". Also making sure that we do not go over our own personal limits on children, regardless of how many the state allows us to have. It is better to have a pay cut and keep the stress level down then to continue one with too many children and run the risk of shaking a baby or something in a moment of rash action.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:44 PM

I wish there was more training explaining how BURNOUT has a major role to play in the cases that DO happen and how to avoid it to begin with.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Sharkgirl0829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherder View Post
I wish there was more training explaining how BURNOUT has a major role to play in the cases that DO happen and how to avoid it to begin with.
I agree!

I also think providers need to be honest with themselves and take a break if needed. Call someone to help you, close for a day, change your routine. I think most parents would rather have to find alternative care for a day or so then to have to deal with a horrible accident. I call me Mom, she is not a substitute but if I am in the house I have no problem sitting in the other room for an hour while she does arts and crafts with the kids.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:42 AM

I don't blame the parents for what happened but how do some of these things go on without the parents knowing? I also find that as a care provider I'm shocked at how little some families ask me before enrolling their kids. They just blindly trust and do absolutely zero research into what to look for when choosing a good provider. I also know parents who have pulled their kids from a good provider because they charge $5 extra than the lady "down the street". Everyone has a part to play here IMO.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymommy0420 View Post
I agree!

I also think providers need to be honest with themselves and take a break if needed. Call someone to help you, close for a day, change your routine. I think most parents would rather have to find alternative care for a day or so then to have to deal with a horrible accident. I call me Mom, she is not a substitute but if I am in the house I have no problem sitting in the other room for an hour while she does arts and crafts with the kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
I don't blame the parents for what happened but how do some of these things go on without the parents knowing? I also find that as a care provider I'm shocked at how little some families ask me before enrolling their kids. They just blindly trust and do absolutely zero research into what to look for when choosing a good provider. I also know parents who have pulled their kids from a good provider because they charge $5 extra than the lady "down the street". Everyone has a part to play here IMO.

These things can not be discussed enough, IMHO. Thank you.....

Tags
abuse, infant - safety, licensed vs unlicensed, positional asphyxia, provider burnout risk, shaken baby syndrome, stress, training