Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,858
Default Training Surprise!

I signed up for training with our local provider's group, and didn't realize what it was. "ages and stages" -I thought it would be the same old stuff about developmentally appropriate practice. Well, it's not!

They are training us to do developmental screenings! The same ones used by headstart professionals, doctors, and various other organizations. They are training us to do these with our dc kids because apparently it is felt that too many children are not being screened (and thereby referred) before age 3.

I am not entirely sure how I feel about this! On the one hand, I am flattered that they "trust" us with this (with training of course), on the other hand, with childcare wages in our area being so low, it seems a little presumptious of them. We get about $100-$110 per week per child, and can have 8 if they are all over 2-under 2 takes up 2 spaces). Even 5-star programs that have subsidized kids don't get much more in the rural counties.

Oh, and that's another subject. The centers get more money AND enrollment based pay from subsidy than the family provider. The city providers get more hourly money than rural providers (from anyone).

If I am a 4 star and a center is a 4 star, shouldn't we get the same amount of $ from subsidy? The star program is mandatory for anyone who takes subsidized kids....
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-13-2012, 07:24 PM
MrsB's Avatar
MrsB MrsB is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbo View Post
I signed up for training with our local provider's group, and didn't realize what it was. "ages and stages" -I thought it would be the same old stuff about developmentally appropriate practice. Well, it's not!

They are training us to do developmental screenings! The same ones used by headstart professionals, doctors, and various other organizations. They are training us to do these with our dc kids because apparently it is felt that too many children are not being screened (and thereby referred) before age 3.

I am not entirely sure how I feel about this! On the one hand, I am flattered that they "trust" us with this (with training of course), on the other hand, with childcare wages in our area being so low, it seems a little presumptious of them. We get about $100-$110 per week per child, and can have 8 if they are all over 2-under 2 takes up 2 spaces). Even 5-star programs that have subsidized kids don't get much more in the rural counties.

Oh, and that's another subject. The centers get more money AND enrollment based pay from subsidy than the family provider. The city providers get more hourly money than rural providers (from anyone).

If I am a 4 star and a center is a 4 star, shouldn't we get the same amount of $ from subsidy? The star program is mandatory for anyone who takes subsidized kids....
I can totally see your point. In a perfect world it would be great to be trained in this so kids are getting screened for services earlier. But we all know there is no perfect world. This is a very interesting topic and one that I have been discussing (in my own head) recently. I know I probably need to be commited now!

Here are my concerns...

1. So after your trained, does this mean your required to report potential delays? Are you going to be held responsible if a delay gets missed?
2. How are parents going to take their daycare provider telling them they have been screened and may have a delay? Do you then have a responsibility that the parent follows up with a doctor or therapist?

I have a few experiences where I voiced a concern regarding developemental milestones and parents dont want to hear this from their daycare provider! If a parent asks me I will provide a checklist of milestones that they can do all the time, sometimes, or never to share with their doctor.

I also have noticed when parents do voice a concern regarding a developmental milestone to their doctors, they are often dismissed as we will check on it next year or next appointment.

In my case my own DD had a significant gross motor skill delay. Every dr appointment from age 4 months until she was 11 months old, I was told we will check on it next appointment. Finally, at 11 months I made a special appointment to see the doctor, I went in their bawling explaining that I have done childcare for over 12 years, and I know what all the developemental milestones are something is wrong with my baby girl! He said, I think she will probably be fine and eventually catch up but I will send a referral to your local infants and toddlers program. They came out and did an evaluation and she did qualify for services! Her PT heard my story and was really outraged. Who knows how long it would have continued, without me demanding for the referral.

Same thing, one of my DCGs is always walking on her tip-toes. Her mom knows that toe-walking can be a sign of issues along with her daughters other sensory/texture issues. Mom has been bringing it up with dr since she stared walking (10 mos). Dr has said we will re-evaluate at next appointment. DCG just had her 3 yr appointment last week. Dr said, well it seems to be getting better. Bring her back in six months and we will see if it is continuing to improve.

So frustrating... are we now supposed to be correcting the doctors? Am I now as a provider supposed to argue with the parents that your doctor is wrong, you need to get a second opinion?

I think it is great they want to educate us providers on so many things. But at what point is society going to stop putting on daycare providers the responsibility that should be the parents...or doctors. Whether it be referring for developmental delays, getting children kindy ready, making sure they receive healthy meals, etc

You are right! I certainly dont make what doctors do!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsB View Post
I can totally see your point. In a perfect world it would be great to be trained in this so kids are getting screened for services earlier. But we all know there is no perfect world. This is a very interesting topic and one that I have been discussing (in my own head) recently. I know I probably need to be commited now!

Here are my concerns...

1. So after your trained, does this mean your required to report potential delays? Are you going to be held responsible if a delay gets missed?
2. How are parents going to take their daycare provider telling them they have been screened and may have a delay? Do you then have a responsibility that the parent follows up with a doctor or therapist?

I have a few experiences where I voiced a concern regarding developemental milestones and parents dont want to hear this from their daycare provider! If a parent asks me I will provide a checklist of milestones that they can do all the time, sometimes, or never to share with their doctor.

I also have noticed when parents do voice a concern regarding a developmental milestone to their doctors, they are often dismissed as we will check on it next year or next appointment.

In my case my own DD had a significant gross motor skill delay. Every dr appointment from age 4 months until she was 11 months old, I was told we will check on it next appointment. Finally, at 11 months I made a special appointment to see the doctor, I went in their bawling explaining that I have done childcare for over 12 years, and I know what all the developemental milestones are something is wrong with my baby girl! He said, I think she will probably be fine and eventually catch up but I will send a referral to your local infants and toddlers program. They came out and did an evaluation and she did qualify for services! Her PT heard my story and was really outraged. Who knows how long it would have continued, without me demanding for the referral.

Same thing, one of my DCGs is always walking on her tip-toes. Her mom knows that toe-walking can be a sign of issues along with her daughters other sensory/texture issues. Mom has been bringing it up with dr since she stared walking (10 mos). Dr has said we will re-evaluate at next appointment. DCG just had her 3 yr appointment last week. Dr said, well it seems to be getting better. Bring her back in six months and we will see if it is continuing to improve.

So frustrating... are we now supposed to be correcting the doctors? Am I now as a provider supposed to argue with the parents that your doctor is wrong, you need to get a second opinion?

I think it is great they want to educate us providers on so many things. But at what point is society going to stop putting on daycare providers the responsibility that should be the parents...or doctors. Whether it be referring for developmental delays, getting children kindy ready, making sure they receive healthy meals, etc

You are right! I certainly dont make what doctors do!
Ok...so I typed up a long answer, and my computer locked up and I lost it...arg

Basically, the PARENT does the questionare, we score it, meet with the parent, show them the results, and recommend calling________ if there is an indication of delay. They are done at 2m, 6m,12m,18m, 2y, 3, 4 & 5. In theory, they can take the report to their doctor and show them the scoring, or take it to birth-3 and show it to them.

One thing I like is that in the questions, the parent options are "usually", "sometimes" or "not yet", or something like that (don't have it in front of me). so it's less likely to freak anyone out. The parent's don't get the score sheet, just the question sheet.

The trainer suggested we make it part of our "orientation" process with new parents so that they are used to it, and take it in stride when we do follow-ups at the intervals above.

and no, at this point, they are not mentioning any kind of mandated reporting on this.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-13-2012, 09:33 PM
Hunni Bee's Avatar
Hunni Bee Hunni Bee is offline
False Sense Of Authority
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Over the Rainbow...
Posts: 2,320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbo View Post
Ok...so I typed up a long answer, and my computer locked up and I lost it...arg

Basically, the PARENT does the questionare, we score it, meet with the parent, show them the results, and recommend calling________ if there is an indication of delay. They are done at 2m, 6m,12m,18m, 2y, 3, 4 & 5. In theory, they can take the report to their doctor and show them the scoring, or take it to birth-3 and show it to them.

One thing I like is that in the questions, the parent options are "usually", "sometimes" or "not yet", or something like that (don't have it in front of me). so it's less likely to freak anyone out. The parent's don't get the score sheet, just the question sheet.

The trainer suggested we make it part of our "orientation" process with new parents so that they are used to it, and take it in stride when we do follow-ups at the intervals above.

and no, at this point, they are not mentioning any kind of mandated reporting on this.
Its the ASQ? I have that. Thanks for reminding me, its time for me to do it for this year...

I did it last year...I agree with the principle, but I didn't see where it worked all that well. It's done by the parent, and kids I KNEW were behind were still marked as being on track or above. All I could do is score it.

For example, it asked something like "Can your child tell you his/her full name and age?" and the parent could mark "usually, not yet, etc.". A child who I knew didn't always RESPOND to their name were marked as "usually". I guess it's as unassuming as it can be, but it still encourages parents to try and get a "perfect score" rather than be honest about their child's abilities, kwim?

I still think it's helpful though, it does get the parent to focus on their child's development specifically.

Last edited by Hunni Bee; 03-13-2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: didn't make sense
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-13-2012, 10:20 PM
MrsB's Avatar
MrsB MrsB is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbo View Post

Basically, the PARENT does the questionare, we score it, meet with the parent, show them the results, and recommend calling________ if there is an indication of delay. They are done at 2m, 6m,12m,18m, 2y, 3, 4 & 5. In theory, they can take the report to their doctor and show them the scoring, or take it to birth-3 and show it to them.

One thing I like is that in the questions, the parent options are "usually", "sometimes" or "not yet", or something like that (don't have it in front of me). so it's less likely to freak anyone out. The parent's don't get the score sheet, just the question sheet.

The trainer suggested we make it part of our "orientation" process with new parents so that they are used to it, and take it in stride when we do follow-ups at the intervals above.
Oh okay, the parent fills it out! Maybe that would be less responsibility on the provider then. Sounds like alot more work with no more extra pay! I dont know about you but during the "Orientation" process, I am more focused on making sure they have to pay on time, stressing the importance of not being late, and that this is a HEALTHY daycare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee View Post
Its the ASQ? I have that. Thanks for reminding me, its time for me to do it for this year...

I did it last year...I agree with the principle, but I didn't see where it worked all that well. It's done by the parent, and kids I KNEW were behind were still marked as being on track or above. All I could do is score it.

For example, it asked something like "Can your child tell you his/her full name and age?" and the parent could mark "usually, not yet, etc.". A child who I knew didn't always RESPOND to their name were marked as "usually". I guess it's as unassuming as it can be, but it still encourages parents to try and get a "perfect score" rather than be honest about their child's abilities, kwim?

I still think it's helpful though, it does get the parent to focus on their child's development specifically.
The ASQ is what I use too, but the observer one, not the parent questionaire.

I agree where it wouldn't always work so well. The scores may not reflect a totally objective observation. I can guarantee about half of my parents would forget to return it, unless of course I put it in my contract that was mandatory and attached fees or termination. Some of my parents aren't really down with having "conferences" with me and dont do extra. Which is fine with me as long as they abide by the rules. I am picturing one mom in my head now, and can almost be certain her response would be "I already fill out the same one at the doctor". Other parents of mine I dont think would take the time to actually do the task. For example: Can your child stack at least one block on top of another? If the experiment is not acutally carried out it may lead to guessing. Mom/Dad's thought "well child loves to play with blocks, I am sure he does that" so marks always. KWIM?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-14-2012, 04:03 AM
melskids's Avatar
melskids melskids is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,767
Default

I have the ASQ as well.

I use it more for myself. I answer the questions based on what I see here. It is just another tool to help me when planning activities and meeting the needs of the children. (I also use the Creatvie Curriculum...and prefer that)

I do share the results with my families, and offer suggestions if I feel its needed.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-14-2012, 05:59 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,311
Default

I would offer it as an alacarte item available to parents. Charge 20 dollars or something like that to do it. Have parents sign in your contract/policies that you have offered to do this at the ages they have them available and that it is the parents obligation to request the evaluation and to pay the fee in advance. Tell them copies will be made available for them to take to their well child screening or early childhood interventionist.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-14-2012, 08:12 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

I use a combination of tools and provide the parent with an assessment every six months.

Observing and recording is really very simple and most of us probably already do it without realizing it (If you document things on a regular basis).

I have used High Scope, Ounce and Creative Curriculum methods.

Like Mel said, observing and assessing is vital to planning activities and routines since the kids' individual developmental levels dictate what they can and cannot do as well as what they need to be working on.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-14-2012, 09:05 AM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,858
Default

Yes, it is ASQ.

I was out of daycare for 10 years, and apparently, time moved along without me! You all know things that NO one knew 10 years ago, even us "high quality" providers!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-14-2012, 11:10 AM
MrsB's Avatar
MrsB MrsB is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 590
Default

I have noticed alot of ordered curriculums are starting to come with these type of evaluations.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
courses, training

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CCEI Offers No-Cost Online Child Care Training on May 11 DaisyMamma Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 04-24-2017 04:11 PM
CPR Training and First Aid/safety Supplies michael@coderedcpr.com Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 12-14-2010 04:13 PM
Family Childcare Training Crystal Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 0 10-22-2010 02:48 PM
VENT: potty training ... (LONG!) AmandasFCC Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 14 09-02-2009 07:28 AM
Providers are always updating their daycare requirements Unregistered Parents and Guardians Forum 1 07-25-2008 07:46 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:16 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming