Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fence
My4SunshineGirlsNY 03:42 AM 06-07-2010
I have come to realize I won't be able to safely do daycare without a fence around my playset this summer. I have 3 younger daycare kids...age 2, 17 months, and 4. The 17 month old is VERY VERY busy and won't stay around my playset. With the summer coming, I have my own 4 girls and 2 school age daycare girls and it can only take a few sec. for this busy boy to wander away.

So I have been pricing chain link fencing, thinking that would be the cheapest..but by the time I have to buy all the extras (posts, toprail, gate, and all the other extra parts I need) it comes close to $1,000!! I am going to need appx. 150' of fencing.

Is there another cheaper fence that will do the trick that any of you can recommend?
melskids 03:53 AM 06-07-2010
i was lucky.....my hubby used to work at a golf course, and when they took down their chain link fences, he scapped it all up. i was angry at first, cause it sat in our yard for 5 years doing nothing, but it sure came in handy when i decided to do daycare...lol

anyway, i have seen other DC's use chicken wire, and it looks just as nice.

maybe you could try craigslist, or even freecycle.org. you'd be surprised what people get rid of.
tymaboy 05:04 AM 06-07-2010
I bought the fence panels that you just stick in the ground. There only about 3 feet tall but they work nice. They dont go on sale much in my area cuz they look nice & are easy to put up so alot of people use them.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:04 AM 06-07-2010
Originally Posted by tymaboy:
I bought the fence panels that you just stick in the ground. There only about 3 feet tall but they work nice. They dont go on sale much in my area cuz they look nice & are easy to put up so alot of people use them.
I was looking at these 3' ones..what kind do you have? The wooden ones or the vinyl white ones? Did you need to buy posts and post caps too? How much did it cost you and how many did you get?

I seen some wooden ones at a Bargain outlet home store for only $14.95 for a 8' section, but the wood looked rough, like the kids could easily get a sliver from it and the wood looked cheap....Lowes has the white vinyl panels 8' (4'high) section for $35/panel but I need 150 feet so panels alone would cost me over $600 and I need posts/gate/post caps..still will run me near $1000!

I have only looked online so far, I guess I just need to get to the store to see the other options. I have checked Craigslist, so far the decent priced ones are gone and the others are overpriced...one person wants $850 for her used chain link fence for 170'. I'll keep checking.
mac60 06:12 AM 06-07-2010
I have seen ranch style fencing put up...3 panels horizontally with post at each end, and then they attach wire fencing to it. My niece did this because their HOA did not allow chain link fence or privacy fence. Keeps dogs and kids in, looks very nice too. I am sure much cheaper than chain link.

Have you thought about the rolls of wire fencing and the metal post, with 1 gate. That should be very affordable.
originalkat 06:41 AM 06-07-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
I have seen ranch style fencing put up...3 panels horizontally with post at each end, and then they attach wire fencing to it. My niece did this because their HOA did not allow chain link fence or privacy fence. Keeps dogs and kids in, looks very nice too. I am sure much cheaper than chain link.

Have you thought about the rolls of wire fencing and the metal post, with 1 gate. That should be very affordable.
I dont know about pricing...but that is what we were planning on putting up. White split rail fence with chicken wire attached. Very cottage looking (which matches our house).
tymaboy 07:19 AM 06-07-2010
Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
I was looking at these 3' ones..what kind do you have? The wooden ones or the vinyl white ones? Did you need to buy posts and post caps too? How much did it cost you and how many did you get?

I seen some wooden ones at a Bargain outlet home store for only $14.95 for a 8' section, but the wood looked rough, like the kids could easily get a sliver from it and the wood looked cheap....Lowes has the white vinyl panels 8' (4'high) section for $35/panel but I need 150 feet so panels alone would cost me over $600 and I need posts/gate/post caps..still will run me near $1000!

I have only looked online so far, I guess I just need to get to the store to see the other options. I have checked Craigslist, so far the decent priced ones are gone and the others are overpriced...one person wants $850 for her used chain link fence for 170'. I'll keep checking.
This Is the kind I have.
Childminder 08:06 AM 06-07-2010
I have farm fence up in my play area. It's green and we got both it and the post from craiglist. Don't know where in NY you are and what the restrictions are but it works well for us. We got enough to fence a 100' x 40' section for about $100. The gate was extra and we got it from the local Tractor Supply Store but I've seen them since on craiglist for $10-$20.
gbcc 08:32 AM 06-07-2010
I put up snow fencing to keep the children in. It cost me about $50 between the fencing and post at Lowes. They may not have snow fence, but they should have the garden fence this time of year which is green instead of orange. They are 4' tall and approved by the state.
alyssyn 09:31 AM 06-07-2010
I have the snow fencing also. I spent a little over $60.00 for 200 ft. Not the prettiest fencing, but it looks nice after I dressed it up with greenery for the summer. It will do me until I can do better.
grandmom 10:01 AM 06-07-2010
I visited a daycare recently with old tires around the swing set. It made a great "fence" for little folks. It was also a good place for the older kid to learn to balance as they walked from tire to tire.

OOOOOOOOO like that with half the tire in the ground.
Michael 10:22 PM 06-07-2010
Some more threads on the subject: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=fencing
Tags:fencing
Reply Up