Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Assistant with Nursing Toddler
Elko 05:45 AM 10-16-2014
Hi! I'm new, obviously. I don't know where I should be posting this, but since I'm distracted by my almost-two-year-old I just went with the one that seemed best.

I am an assistant at a small home daycare. The owner just opened in April, and has 3 toddlers and a 3 month old. I also bring my daughter with me as that was part of the agreement with my employment.

I made sure to be very clear when I started that I'm still nursing her and probably would be for a while, at least for naps and once in a while if she really needed a moment of comfort.

I know it's complicated; I know if she just went to daycare the providers would be able to get her to sleep but it would take a few minutes of rubbing her back or something.

The owner recently seems to have lost the ability to hold back her disdain for my parenting. You may not believe me, but my nursing her to sleep has definitely caused no more inconvenience to her than any of the other kids have.

She's been obsessing over nap time, claiming she wants to get all the kids to be able to go to sleep on their own so she doesn't have to spend any time on them, but she still spends a few minutes on each kid to get them settled or asleep. It works, and doesn't take long, so it became clear that she was angry that I still nurse mine to sleep. Eventually talking about streamlining naptime turned into her arguing with me over how and why I'm doing things this way; how breastfeeding isn't beneficial, how I'm giving all control to my toddler... etc...

I've been doing everything how she wants, and trying to save my daughter until the rest are down so I can go spend a few minutes (rarely any more than the other kids get) but she's turned so many things around on us that I'm starting to feel like a crazy person.

I guess I don't know what my question is, except maybe to ask if any of you have dealt with this exact, specific situation? Or if you have any advice on what to do? I've basically ended up telling her to quit with the parenting advice and just let me know if it's not going to work out with us. It still never ends though.

I'm not certified or going to school for my CDA or anything, so I don't seem to be qualified to work in another daycare setting. (She just heard through a mutual friend that I was desperate for work and she needed someone she could pay less than minimum wage to help her with her new business. Long story...)

I'll stop now, and let me know if I'm the unreasonable one or if there's an easy way I can address or fix this without just leaving her in the bedroom to CIO to appease my boss :/

Thanks for reading!
Tags:assistant - duties, breastfeeding at work, breastfeeding in daycare, employee issues, training
Up