Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:17 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Unsupervised

Hi, this is my first post. My DC isn't required to have a fence. I have a few parents who visit too long at pick-up time and allow their kids to play outside my house unsupervised. Within the last 2 weeks a very rowdy 2yo has broken a piece of the treehouse in my yard, and a decorative item of mine (not expensive but sentimental). Is it reasonable for me to make a rule that children may not play outside unsupervised? I wonder if I'm being petty. The mother of this kid didn't apologize at all.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:19 PM
Daycare.com Member

If the child became hurt while on your property regardless of if the parent is there or not you are liable. Make the rule and tell them itís an insurance/safety thing. Not unreasonable at all.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:20 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boney View Post
Hi, this is my first post. My DC isn't required to have a fence. I have a few parents who visit too long at pick-up time and allow their kids to play outside my house unsupervised. Within the last 2 weeks a very rowdy 2yo has broken a piece of the treehouse in my yard, and a decorative item of mine (not expensive but sentimental). Is it reasonable for me to make a rule that children may not play outside unsupervised? I wonder if I'm being petty. The mother of this kid didn't apologize at all.
Not only would it be OK, but some states don't allow certain ages of children outside unsupervised during daycare hours regardless... doesn't matter if parent is there or not; they get injured, it's on you.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:21 PM
Daycare.com Member

You don't need a reason!

It should be expected that all enrolled families treat your property with respect anyway! They shouldn't feel entitled to help themselves!

If it were me, I'd be having a one on one with those parents and letting them know they are only allowed to come in, pick up and leave. No loitering on the property.

But, I know some providers aren't comfortable with the my approach.
You could print out a policy and tell them exactly what you expect. Have them sign off on it and let them know that violating the policy may result in termination of services.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boney View Post
My policies state parents must pick up and leave immediately. I do not allow (non-enrolled) siblings on site and if they accompany the parent for pick up, they must remain in the vehicle.

I also require parents to hold their child while walking from house to car for the very reasons you mentioned.

I wouldn't worry about being unreasonable and instead view this like the liability it is. If a parent or child got hurt you would be responsible so for that reason I would tell parents they have NO option other than walking from your door to their vehicle.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:36 PM
Daycare.com Member

I completely agree with all the above and would write up your new policy as was suggested. Make them stick to it!
I loathe when dcks have no regard for others things and the parents don't care either.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:14 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
My policies state parents must pick up and leave immediately. I do not allow (non-enrolled) siblings on site and if they accompany the parent for pick up, they must remain in the vehicle.

I also require parents to hold their child while walking from house to car for the very reasons you mentioned.

I wouldn't worry about being unreasonable and instead view this like the liability it is. If a parent or child got hurt you would be responsible so for that reason I would tell parents they have NO option other than walking from your door to their vehicle.
yup.

I just 'got into it' with a dcm for allowing her child to climb up the stairs on the side to my main floor and jumping off.

Uh, NOPE. HOLD HIS HAND, walk him to the car.

If he fell and broke his leg it's on ME, not dcm.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:56 AM
Daycare.com Member

This is exactly why I started waiting in foyer.All children left between 5-530 so we would get coats on bags ready infants in car seats.Then every one picked a book.Seats were assigned.We would sing some songs and then they read their books.They were not allowed to get up until their parent came then they said bye to us ,hello to there parentgot a sticker and left.Noone was allowed to race around the driveway.In warmer months we would leave the yard for a quick walk around the block.Every one was either contained in the 5 seat stroller or holding a safety strap on the side.They had to hold parents hand get in car and then get their sticker.This worked great for everyone.

Tags
handbook - sample, liability, regulations, training