Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:28 AM
Unregistered

Question New Parent Call/ Txt

How long do you put new clients at ease by responding to calls and txt?
It's happing everyday and I think they have been here long enough that she shouldn't need to txt me everyday. If something was wrong or not going well I'd let her know.

How long should I allow the messages? I have been responding less and less now I use the thumbs up emoji.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:34 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Use graduated extinction.

Wait longer and longer to respond.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:34 AM
Daycare.com Member

If its been long enough Id let her know that continuing to respond takes your attention away from your charges and that unless there is a reason for concern, youll fill her in on his day at pick up time.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:14 PM

I usually tie daily check-up calls and texts to the trial period (2 weeks) and after that, I let the parent know that daily check ins via text or calls won't be answered.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:00 PM

It is in my contract that parents do not contact me during the day except for emergencies. The very first day or two their kid is here I text then to let them know they are doing fine but after that they get nothing from me. If they were texting me I would ignore it until they came for pickup and say I got your text but it was during X time so I could not respond. The best time to ask me questions is at pickup as I cannot always answer a text.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:05 PM
Daycare.com Member

Some providers use services like Brightwheel to give individual updates, I tried it (parents LOVE it) but I am too busy (and don't like) doing individual updates. If I did infant/ young toddler care I would use Brightwheel (since it would be less kids - just 4 allowed in my state)

My clients really want (and expect) daily "updates" about their child. I have come to embrace it and am experimenting with two different methods 1) written daily notes (1/2 sheet pre-filled that I can just quickly check boxes and a quick note with an update) and a Class Shutterfly Site. I have found this has cut down on parents trying to talk my ear off during drop off and pick up.

I'm still debating between the two communication methods so right now it is a combo.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:09 PM
Daycare.com Member

My first daycare had a private instagram account for the daycare families.

I found myself checking for updates dozens of times a day from work and getting disappointed when there were no updates.

Our "new" daycare does a slip of paper for the 4 and under crowd. Each level has a different paper with different info to fill out.

Infant sheet includes a spot for the parent to fill out the last time the baby ate and when he woke up. There were spots for daycare to write down nap times, feeding times and how much baby ate, and diaper changes.

Ones class sheet omitted spaces for bottles and only had a line for one nap. Didn't include meal times, but caregiver would circle (all, most, some, none) regarding how much baby ate.

Twos class includes diapering/toileting, meals and nap and what the focus of today was (example: tigers)

Threes/Fours class didn't include anything about toileting, but included meals, nap and the focus of the day.

This is from a daycare center where there are multiple staff members helping out with the same kids, so it helped them to know when the last time a baby was changed/fed. I really prefer the little slip of paper to getting verbal updates all the time or pictures.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:55 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom View Post
My first daycare had a private instagram account for the daycare families.

I found myself checking for updates dozens of times a day from work and getting disappointed when there were no updates.

Our "new" daycare does a slip of paper for the 4 and under crowd. Each level has a different paper with different info to fill out.

Infant sheet includes a spot for the parent to fill out the last time the baby ate and when he woke up. There were spots for daycare to write down nap times, feeding times and how much baby ate, and diaper changes.

Ones class sheet omitted spaces for bottles and only had a line for one nap. Didn't include meal times, but caregiver would circle (all, most, some, none) regarding how much baby ate.

Twos class includes diapering/toileting, meals and nap and what the focus of today was (example: tigers)

Threes/Fours class didn't include anything about toileting, but included meals, nap and the focus of the day.

This is from a daycare center where there are multiple staff members helping out with the same kids, so it helped them to know when the last time a baby was changed/fed. I really prefer the little slip of paper to getting verbal updates all the time or pictures.
Would you like the picture updates more if they were more consistent? If they posted your child each day would you still prefer the paper slip?
Old 07-23-2018, 06:22 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How long do you put new clients at ease by responding to calls and txt?
It's happing everyday and I think they have been here long enough that she shouldn't need to txt me everyday. If something was wrong or not going well I'd let her know.

How long should I allow the messages? I have been responding less and less now I use the thumbs up emoji.
As mentioned above, just taper it off.
If it were everyday, I may mention that I'm happy to communicate if there are any issues with little Johnny while he's here but I can not take the time every day for non-emergencies without sacrificing safety and supervision here. Therefore, I am limiting the communication to 1-2 times a week during nap time only.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:44 PM

If they ask for updates, I tell them that they're welcome to text me and check in for the first 2 weeks and a I'll respond as I'm able. After that, I'll let them know if there's a problem. Otherwise, they really don't hear from me.

I have a closed Facebook group, where I add pictures occasionally, but it's not very regular.

Tags
graduated extinction, separation anxiety, trust - not