Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Training Requirements
daycaredad 07:42 AM 01-13-2011
Hello All,
I was hoping someone could lend some information regarding the training requirements listed in New York State regulations, 416.14 Training

I have included the link rather then list it out. I guess the main questions are:

1) Are there online courses for such?
2) Do the courses/certifications offered by Penn Foster qualify towards this requirements?

http://nrckids.org/STATES/NY/ny_416.pdf

Furthermore, I'd like to close this with thanking everyone who has, is, and will attempt to answer the myriad of silly questions my wife and I will have over the next few months.

Best,
Daycare Dad
Crystal 07:51 AM 01-13-2011
You should check into services offered by your local resource and referral agency They can be a godsend for new providers. They do offer training that you need, and it should be free:

Home page:

http://nycchildcareconsortium.org/index.html

training info:

http://www.chcfinc.org/ccrr/EarlyCar....htm#Providers
melskids 08:37 AM 01-13-2011
hi daycaredad! i am in NY too, but i am not group, just family size.

i'm pretty sure the requirements are the same though.

30 hours every two years, with 15 hours within the first 6 months of being licensed. there is a 15 hour health and safety training that will cover that, and it should be available to you through your local resource and referral agency.

there are 9 areas your training has to cover

regulations pertaining to childcare
regulations pertainng to abuse
safety and security
child development
nutrition and health
shaken baby
program development
business management

and i cant remember the other one right now

plus you will need CPR and first aid, and MAT if you plan on giving meds. but these count towards you training hours needed.

if you join the food program, there are mandatory trainings for that, those count too.

our local agency offers alot of free trainings all the time, and as far as the ones online, most sites have an area on there to check and see if NY accepts them. i'm not sure about penn foster, but ive done quite a few on www.carecourses.com

good luck!!!
daycaredad 11:59 AM 01-13-2011
Hi Mel,
Where in NY are you? I think we are going to open our doors as a Family Day Care at first, then make the transition to Group.

Regarding CPR and First Aid...I have seen online certification processes, but I assume that can not be possible??

http://www.onlinecprcertification.net/

What surrounds that Food Program? What are its advantages?

Thank you
daycaredad 12:00 PM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
You should check into services offered by your local resource and referral agency They can be a godsend for new providers. They do offer training that you need, and it should be free:

I have to say that you all have been God Sent. We have learned more out here than anywhere.
momatheart 12:01 PM 01-13-2011
what is MAT
melskids 01:38 PM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by daycaredad:
Hi Mel,
Where in NY are you? I think we are going to open our doors as a Family Day Care at first, then make the transition to Group.

Regarding CPR and First Aid...I have seen online certification processes, but I assume that can not be possible??

http://www.onlinecprcertification.net/

What surrounds that Food Program? What are its advantages?

Thank you
i am outside of cooperstown. Where is loudinville? ive never heard of it...lol

i think you can take cpr and first aid online, but you still have to find someone to "test" you. our local agency offers CPR & first aid, as do many local fire dept's and the ymca. you can also look for classes on www.redcross.org, find your local chapter, and look under childcare provider trainings. sometimes they're free!!!

as far as the food program, i have a love/hate relationship with it...lol
there are two tiers of reimbursement, and tier 1 pays much more. i only qualify for tier 2 , so it doesnt seem worth it. but, i'm plugging along. you have to follow the usda requirements, and record your menus daily. my sponsor (who happens to also be my licensor) comes once every 3 months to observe a meal, and make sure my paperwork is current. i'm sure someone else here can explain it all better.
melskids 01:42 PM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
what is MAT
MAT is Medication Administration Training. you have to take this course ( i think its 10 or 12 hours) before you can give medications of any kind to a child in your care. not even a cough drop...lol

i havent bothered to do it yet, i figure if a kid is sick enough to need meds, they shouldnt be here anyway and i dont have any children with chronic illness, like asthma or needing an epi-pen.
daycaredad 02:17 PM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
i am outside of cooperstown. Where is loudinville? ive never heard of it...lol
Mel, we are right outside of Albany. Next to Siena College. My wife and I went to school in Oneonta...that is actually where we met. Are you in Milford?

I am checking into the CPR thing. I look at it on line and took the free course (you pay when you past the test to get your certificate), but I said to myself, "Wow! If I am actually ever going to be put on the spot to save a life, I sure would rather have a few practice rounds!!"
melskids 03:35 AM 01-14-2011
Originally Posted by daycaredad:
Mel, we are right outside of Albany. Next to Siena College. My wife and I went to school in Oneonta...that is actually where we met. Are you in Milford?

I am checking into the CPR thing. I look at it on line and took the free course (you pay when you past the test to get your certificate), but I said to myself, "Wow! If I am actually ever going to be put on the spot to save a life, I sure would rather have a few practice rounds!!"
omg! thats too funny...i'm actually in Worcester, and because of district lines, my kids go to Schenevus school. but when i tell people that, no one knows what i'm talking about. lol most people dont even know where Oneonta is, so i always just say Cooperstown.

i asked my husband where Loudonville was and he said he thought it was outside of Albany. he actually commutes to Latham eveyday for work, (65 miles each way!!!) as there are NO jobs around here, and what there are, are LOW paying.

what a small world!!!!
Tags:course work, training
Reply Up