Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Healthy Treat Options
mamamanda 10:26 AM 06-28-2014
So, I know a lot of providers don't do food as rewards at all. I try to stay away from it as a rule, but occasionally do like to offer a "treat" for an especially good day. I have children in my care who ask for treats for everything which drives me nuts, especially when a 4 y.o. still asks for a treat every time she uses the potty after being potty trained for 6 months. Apparently mom still gives her candy each time. Not here. However, I'm finding that because so many kids are given candy, cookies, cupcakes, etc. as regular treats, there's not a whole lot I can offer them that is healthy that they consider a reward. Say we have an exceptional week with everyone behaving better than normal and I want to offer something special at snack time. Does anyone have any healthy recipes or ideas for something that would be "treat-like" without adding a lot of sugar or junk?
NightOwl 10:36 AM 06-28-2014
Have you ever had a frozen grape? Holy cow, it's fantastic! It's like a dessert. For whatever reason, freezing them sweetens the flavor. You could chop them for those who could possible choke.
mamamanda 10:45 AM 06-28-2014
My sister and I ate those as kids, but I hadn't thought about them for a long time. That's a great idea! I just thought of making popsicles using yogurt and diced fruit as well. Might give that a try too. Thanks!
daycarediva 11:06 AM 06-28-2014
I make frozen fresh fruit bars (juice and diced fruit) orange creamscicles with organic oj mixed with vanilla Greek yogurt, banana ice cream (frozen bananas blended) frozen yogurt ice cream sundaes ( vanilla Greek yogurt-frozen) topped with fresh berries and a little whipped cream. hope that helps!

I really dislike food as a reward. IMHO it's a very bad practice. We over reward kids in general. Kids who always get a treat/reward for expected behavior tend to expect rewards and only behave when there is the possibility of reward. I had one dck a couple of years ago say. "What do I get?" Whenever anything was requested of him. No matter how hard I tried, he never did gain internal motivation and pride in doing what was right.
mamamanda 11:16 AM 06-28-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I make frozen fresh fruit bars (juice and diced fruit) orange creamscicles with organic oj mixed with vanilla Greek yogurt, banana ice cream (frozen bananas blended) frozen yogurt ice cream sundaes ( vanilla Greek yogurt-frozen) topped with fresh berries and a little whipped cream. hope that helps!

I really dislike food as a reward. IMHO it's a very bad practice. We over reward kids in general. Kids who always get a treat/reward for expected behavior tend to expect rewards and only behave when there is the possibility of reward. I had one dck a couple of years ago say. "What do I get?" Whenever anything was requested of him. No matter how hard I tried, he never did gain internal motivation and pride in doing what was right.
I actually do agree with you about the reward thing. I've had a hard time because I have some parents who reward for EVERYTHING and their children ask constantly. It is very frustrating. Especially when I've been asked "why not" 10 times for the same behavior. Your suggestions are exactly the kind of thing I was looking for though. I guess in my mind I'm not thinking of "reward" per se, but more of just a healthy treat for everyone to enjoy now and then. Thank you!
NightOwl 11:24 AM 06-28-2014
Agreed. I would discontinue the rewards. It sounds like it's already expected. The kids will expect a reward for every tiny thing. This reminds me of the praise thread. Kids become so entitled that you can't get them to put on a shoe without offering a good job! or here's a cookie! It's crazy....
But back to the healthy snack thing, anything frozen is a treat in their eyes. And if you decide to discontinue treats, you could use these suggestions for snack ideas instead!
NightOwl 11:32 AM 06-28-2014
How about sliced bananas, dipped in that chocolate ice cream topping stuff that hardens, then freeze them. That sounds fantastic! I think I'll try it. Lol.
spud912 01:26 PM 06-28-2014
Something my kids really really like is banana ice cream. You just get some slightly over-ripe bananas, slice them, line them up one by one on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and freeze them. Once they're solid (usually 12-24 hours later), take them out and process them in the food processor. The final consistency is similar to soft-serve ice cream. The kids love it because it tastes and feels like ice cream.
Mom of 4 04:11 PM 06-28-2014
I was bad. I gave 1 m & m for pee, 2 for poop. After my own kids were potty trained fully, they had a potty party. lol Something small, but it recognized the "end" of the rewards. Worked on DC kids too. BUT, it only works if parents are not always giving in for everything.

I did frozen juice popsicles (they sell popsicle maker things at the dollar store), apples with sugar-free caramel or peanut butter (or soy butter), fruit leathers, craisins, and we even learned how to make ICE CREAM! home made! Kids made themselves. (That was a ONCE in a while thing bc they're so messy!).
Shell 05:36 PM 06-28-2014
It might sound strange, but my dc kids take dehydrated pieces of fruit- especially the strawberries- as a "treat". I also like the idea of the banana "ice cream", going to give that a try!
Blackcat31 08:10 AM 06-29-2014
I keep a "treat" basket.

NO FOOD items in my treat basket though.

I buy tons of little trinkets at the dollar store.

Pencils, tablets, hand held maze games, stickers, crayons, little cars, or dinosaurs, color books, etc

When the kids earn a treat for something, they get to pick something from the basket.

No sugar, No unhealthy anything but SUPER happy kids who feel rewarded just the same.
midaycare 02:23 PM 06-29-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I keep a "treat" basket.

NO FOOD items in my treat basket though.

I buy tons of little trinkets at the dollar store.

Pencils, tablets, hand held maze games, stickers, crayons, little cars, or dinosaurs, color books, etc

When the kids earn a treat for something, they get to pick something from the basket.

No sugar, No unhealthy anything but SUPER happy kids who feel rewarded just the same.
Me too. I have a "treasure chest" full of things from the dollar store. It's not often that kids get something from there, but once in a while they do. I'm unmotivated to use treats as rewards, or anything other than a pat on the back or a "job well done".
Unregistered 08:19 AM 06-30-2014
I give food treats during circle time to encourage participation on hard days or when training a new LO, I use raisins, yogurt covered raisins or craisins - the kids love them

I use dollar store items from a special bag for other treats like out of this world good behavior or completing a potty sticker chart
melilley 11:44 AM 06-30-2014
My kids LOVE frozen yogurt! I bought popsicle molds and fill them with yogurt and freeze. Today I'm making frozen yogurt dots, we'll see how they like them this afternoon. Smoothies with yogurt and fresh fruit are also a great alternative!
AmyKidsCo 01:15 PM 06-30-2014
I do stickers - lots and LOTS of stickers!
Reply Up