Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Siblings in Different Care?
finsup 08:43 AM 04-28-2016
So I have an interview coming up, for a newborn(wont start until the end of June). Dcm asked in her reply today if it would be OK to bring her husband and the baby's 18m old sibiling, which is fine. She said the 18m old attends another home daycare that won't have space in the summer for the baby.
So now I'm left thinking, wait, do you plan to switch her as soon as your 18m old's daycare has space? Because I'd rather not take that on. I don't have space for a sibling right now and don't anticipate one anytime soon.
Is it appropriate to ask what her plan is, if care would just be for the summer etc? I'm hessitating a bit here...I love the age, dcm seems great, good hours, really it sounded perfect until the mention of a sibling in other care :/
Thriftylady 08:49 AM 04-28-2016
I would ask mom flat out, before I did the interview.
NightOwl 09:12 AM 04-28-2016
Agreed. It sounds like she's thinking of something more temporary.
Ariana 09:40 AM 04-28-2016
It happened to me . Mom insisted she would eventually move the younger sibling over to me but instead after 4 months she moved her child that was with me back to the previous provider. I did not see it coming and was pretty annoyed but what can you do...it's business. What was really crappy though is that I only took her son because I wanted the daughter who was close to my daughters age.
lovemydaycare0912 09:45 AM 04-28-2016
I don't see anything wrong with asking. In my enrollment application I have parents fill out before the interview, I ask are they looking for temporary or permanent care.
Snowmom 09:46 AM 04-28-2016
I would ask... but I really don't think you're going to get an honest answer.
Baby Beluga 09:47 AM 04-28-2016
I would ask mom what her intentions are.

On that note, I have two children who have siblings in other care.

Family 1: I have two brothers enrolled with me. The third sibling is in care elsewhere. It has been this way for almost about 1.5 years.

Family 2: DCB has been with me for almost 2 years. Infant brother is enrolled with another FCC in our area as she accepts infants and I do not.
Ariana 09:52 AM 04-28-2016
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
You absolutely won't. I flat out asked my client if she was really planning to move her daughter and she lied right to my face.
mommyneedsadayoff 09:58 AM 04-28-2016
I would ask (and I mean ask "are you planning to switch to the other daycare when a spot opens up"...very specific questions) and if that is her plan, but you still want to take them, then you could always set the terms right off the bat. Like, make her commit to at least 3/6 months of care, or whatever amount works for you, and set what you charge (temporary care is more expensive) and see if she agrees. If she does, then you both go in knowing it is temporary and you make a little extra per month because of it, since you will have to re-interview and do new enrollment fairly soon, but you can always use that to your advantage and look for families who need care in that time frame, so it all over laps nicely. And you never know, she may come to you after a few months and want the other child to get a spot with you, so more income for you.

Of course, it is easier to just pass on them if you want someone long term right away, but if you flat out ask her and that is her plan, then you can set the terms so you benefit (financially or otherwise) and she will take them or she will find someone else and not tell them as much info
childcaremom 10:00 AM 04-28-2016
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I agree with this.

I would ask but plan that it will probably be temporary. If you are ok with temp I would go ahead. If you want permanent, then I would keep looking.
finsup 10:40 AM 04-28-2016
Yeah, I suspect even with asking I won't get an honest answer. Debating the temporary care thing. I hate advertising so much in the same places because it appears like I have a high turnover when really, I've just had a lot of temporary situations lately. I'd like something more consistent. But then again it's like well, it gets me until fall most likely when enrollment always picks up. Ugh...I was really hopeful for this one too!
CityGarden 10:48 AM 04-28-2016
Her current provider has no space for the baby, you have no space for the older child I don't feel she can say yet if should would move the older child IF a space did open up in your program without having ever met you or seeing your space.

Best case she loves you, you love the family you take the baby a space eventually opens for the other child all are in your care.

Middle of the road she loves you, you love the family you take the baby but never see a space opening for the other child they eventually move baby to where older child is ----- you had months of solid enrollment.

Also note mom might eventually consider preschool for the older child so she could have two drops off anyway.
JackandJill 10:54 AM 04-28-2016
I think its always good to remember that parents will do what is best for the them, no matter what is said during an interview. So even if mom says its permanent, I would have an active waiting list in the event that she does pull when a spot opens up at the other daycare.

Do what you are most comfortable with after the interview, and make sure that you have everything in place to protect your income in your contract, if in fact you do offer the spot! Best of luck!!
Mike 05:20 PM 04-28-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I would ask but plan that it will probably be temporary. If you are ok with temp I would go ahead. If you want permanent, then I would keep looking.
I vote for this answer.

It could be a good business opportunity. She may decide to bring the other one to you, but be prepared for the other way around.
finsup 04:33 AM 04-29-2016
Thanks everyone! I haven't quite decided if it's worth it or not. Right now I don't foresee having an opening for the sibling for a while. If I did, I think it would be more worthwhile to do. My husband said to just charge 35$/day (regular 30) and to just make the two months really worth it if I do take them on lol. Although quoting them that rate may get me a quick no...35/day is pretty high around here heh.
CityGarden 07:36 AM 04-29-2016
Originally Posted by finsup:
Thanks everyone! I haven't quite decided if it's worth it or not. Right now I don't foresee having an opening for the sibling for a while. If I did, I think it would be more worthwhile to do. My husband said to just charge 35$/day (regular 30) and to just make the two months really worth it if I do take them on lol. Although quoting them that rate may get me a quick no...35/day is pretty high around here heh.
That makes sense! This is an example of how rates are different based on where you live - I do not offer infant care but it goes for $65-$70 per day in home daycares in my area.
Crazy8 09:22 AM 04-29-2016
I would ask in a way that makes it seem like you are fine with it just being for the summer to see if that helps get you a more honest answer. I'd say something like I have children who are waiting for a Sept opening so if this is only for the summer just let me know so I can give you the correct forms, etc. And I would absolutely charge more for a temporary spot IF I was willing to take it.
Controlled Chaos 09:55 AM 04-29-2016
I have had 1brother while the other attended another fcc. Other brother starts here Monday after waiting 8 months for A spot to open. It worked out well, but I work under the assumption that anyone could leave at anytime. Life happens.
DaveA 10:25 AM 04-29-2016
I agree with the others- DCM is looking for temp care.

I have one child whose (half) brother is in a local center because the sibling's Dad won't put him in a home daycare and they make childcare decisions jointly.
finsup 01:30 PM 04-29-2016
Well, got a pretty honest answer from dcm. She said she would ideally like to have the girls in the same daycare but didn't know when or if that would happen. Fair enough. I definitely appreciate honesty! I suppose I'll meet with them and go from there. It's not exactly what I want but I'm not 100% against it either.
CityGarden 01:40 PM 04-29-2016
Well, got a pretty honest answer from dcm. She said she would ideally like to have the girls in the same daycare but didn't know when or if that would happen. Fair enough. I definitely appreciate honesty! I suppose I'll meet with them and go from there. It's not exactly what I want but I'm not 100% against it either.
Great that she was honest. I can't blame her she has to work and needs them in care. Maybe something will open up at your program hard to see into the future.....
Scout 04:42 PM 04-30-2016
I had a temporary interview for a little girl while her regular daycare was on maternity leave. She has been with me for 2 1/2 years now.
LysesKids 07:30 PM 04-30-2016
My families know from the get go their child will age out here before age 2... that said, I still get 2nd babies while the older child is somewhere else (I have had 3 families have new littles before the first one turned 3); half my kids age out & go to the local Montessori's, but the wait list is 2 years for the only one that accepts kids under 30 months...

Since I am Montessori inspired & Organic, it's a win win for both me & the parents - I am told whose on a waitlist where when they sign contracts, so I know how to plan... minimum contract is 6 months, but I end up with most until they hit the 18 month age out.
finsup 09:22 AM 05-01-2016
I did the interview and for something I was unsure of, I really hope it works out. Dcm is wonderful! Brought up the temporary care thing and said she talked to her other daycare last week and they don't foresee any spots for a long time so she really doubts that would ever come up. When mentioning if I had a spot for the second child, if she would want it she was very enthusiastic about that. I have a kiddo moving to part time in the fall and well, this family is full time. If I sign them on, I could essentially offer the part time family either to pay the higher rate or term, and offer the spot to this sibling. But the dcm really liked that we were only 3 minutes from work, I provide everything except formula, and don't charge for my vacations (waaaay too many daycare within a few miles of me, I needed to stand out and those were things I was able to offer without too much of a rate increase). Plus quoted them a higher rate then I've quoted anyone before and she didn't even bat an eye at it.
Funny how things can turn around sometimes Now hopefully they sign on and it continues to go well!
CityGarden 10:04 AM 05-01-2016
I did the interview and for something I was unsure of, I really hope it works out. Dcm is wonderful! Brought up the temporary care thing and said she talked to her other daycare last week and they don't foresee any spots for a long time so she really doubts that would ever come up. When mentioning if I had a spot for the second child, if she would want it she was very enthusiastic about that. I have a kiddo moving to part time in the fall and well, this family is full time. If I sign them on, I could essentially offer the part time family either to pay the higher rate or term, and offer the spot to this sibling. But the dcm really liked that we were only 3 minutes from work, I provide everything except formula, and don't charge for my vacations (waaaay too many daycare within a few miles of me, I needed to stand out and those were things I was able to offer without too much of a rate increase). Plus quoted them a higher rate then I've quoted anyone before and she didn't even bat an eye at it.
Funny how things can turn around sometimes Now hopefully they sign on and it continues to go well!
That sounds lovely!!!!
Snowmom 12:55 PM 05-01-2016
Awesome. I hope it works out.
childcaremom 03:38 PM 05-01-2016

finsup 07:28 AM 05-02-2016
Woohoo!! They are interested! They're coming by this weekend so I can meet her husband and older daughter and are bringing a check to hold the spot. No more interviewing! Lol
Tags:siblings
Reply Up