Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Which Daycare Would You Choose?
Unregistered 08:45 AM 03-13-2016
I'm torn between 2 in home day cares. I am currently looking for care since my current in home daycare is closing in July. Will have a newborn girl and almost 2 year old boy. Let me know your opinion and what you would choose. Only would need 7-4pm hours covered.

Option A: Daycare is down the street 2 blocks away. Has been doing daycare for 1 1/2 years. Has 2 kids, 1 is 4 and the other is 2 1/2. Average 8 kids of all ages (mostly girls). Licensed elementary teacher and special education. Hours 7-5:30pm with 2 weeks vacation (1wk paid, 1 wk unpaid) and 10 paid holiday days. $175 per week per kid.

Option B: Daycare is 4 miles in the opposite direction of work (10 minutes one way). Has been doing daycare for 20 years. She teaches daycare provider classes part time. Has 4 grown kids that are out of the house. Average 8 kids (mostly 2 and 3 year olds with one 1 year old) + a couple extra kindergartners in the summer (mostly boys). Hours 7-4:30pm with 4 weeks off (2 weeks paid vacation, 2 weeks unpaid) and 10 paid holidays + snow days that the school district takes avg 3 days. $160 per week per child.

Thoughts:
Option A's provider is younger so may have more energy. More girls, so may be a bit tamer environment. My son tends to be more mellow. Great that it's down the street and I can walk when the weathers nice to pick him up. Worried about daycare burnout or if she decides she doesn't want to do daycare once her 2 1/2 year old gets to preschool or kindergarten.

Option B's provider is older so more experience with juggling kids. More boys which is great for my son to follow after and learn from (as long as they are well behaved). Longer commute. Worried that she will want to retire soon but not sure, I would guess her age is in the low 50s. She seemed more excited about having an infant in her care and seemed more confident with her daily plans. She has a lot of time off, so not too worried about her getting burned out, but may prove to be somewhat cumbersome in finding backup care. Have somewhat good backup care, but will probably need to cover most days myself.

Any input is much appreciated. Thank you!
Tags:choosing daycare
Up