Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do Sick Kids Still Have Same Rules/Guidelines?
jojosmommy 07:43 AM 01-31-2012
All 4 dck have crud, my kids have nothing yet but i'm sure they will soon. Kids are "well enough" to be in care (cough, no croup, All went to dr yesterday, no fevers etc) all parents came in with special instructions for me today. "prop mattress, hold her for nap, tylenol at xx time, just let him watch tv, etc".

I wanted to say " if they need that specialized care they need to be at home. " What does everyone else do when parents do this? Do you operate as usual or make exceptions for sick but well enough to attend kids?
jojosmommy 07:44 AM 01-31-2012
And do you keep your kids away from kids with crud all day/week even though they want to play with their friends?
Blackcat31 07:45 AM 01-31-2012
Kids are NOT allowed to be here unless they can participate AS NORMAL in regular daily activities. If they need Tylenol at naptime, they should NOT be in care IMPO.

Same goes for the other "special requests" you received.

I honestly don't believe there is any such thing as sick but well enough to be in care (???) In normal circumstances, I would let my own kids be in contact with dacycare kids because I wouldn't let them come if they had special instructions so that would be a moot point for me.
jojosmommy 07:53 AM 01-31-2012
All 4 missed care yesterday with runny noses and a croup cough over the weekend. The two younger ones got meds for ear infections but the rest were told they had colds. Nobody ended up with croup, just chesty coughs. Runny noses are clear and none have fevers. I would love to exclude but nothing excludes under my guidelines. So what to do?
Meyou 07:55 AM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Kids are NOT allowed to be here unless they can participate AS NORMAL in regular daily activities. If they need Tylenol at naptime, they should NOT be in care IMPO.

Same goes for the other "special requests" you received.

I honestly don't believe there is any such thing as sick but well enough to be in care (???) In normal circumstances, I would let my own kids be in contact with dacycare kids because I wouldn't let them come if they had special instructions so that would be a moot point for me.
ITA. I allow them to come with small coughs or clear runny noses if they can participate normally in every aspect of our day.

The only real exception for "special treatment" I make are for bad diaper rash. For example if the child needed to be washed with warm water instead of wipes or needed diaper cream or diaper changes more often. I'm doing that for the comfort of the child NOT for mom and dad's convenience.
tbutler 08:15 AM 01-31-2012
I'm the same as BlackCat. If the kid can't, won't, or doesn't want to play during play time when normally they would, they are sick and need to be home for that special attention he/she needs. Medication dispensing is optional for home providers in my state. So, I chose not to give kids any medication neither over the counter nor prescribed. So, if baby is out sick and needs meds to feel better and/or get over illness, baby must stay home.
Blackcat31 08:21 AM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
All 4 missed care yesterday with runny noses and a croup cough over the weekend. The two younger ones got meds for ear infections but the rest were told they had colds. Nobody ended up with croup, just chesty coughs. Runny noses are clear and none have fevers. I would love to exclude but nothing excludes under my guidelines. So what to do?
Change your guidelines to include exclusion for being unable to participate in normal daily activities.

I think mine reads something like, "If your child is not up to participating in our daily routine as normal they should not attend care. This includes when no other symptoms of illness are present."
wdmmom 08:37 AM 01-31-2012
I don't do SPECIAL.

Same routine day after day. If they are needing special special, they need to be getting it at home from their mommy.

I specifically have it worded in my policies that if your child is unable to participate in regular daily activities, they should not be brought to daycare.

I can't stop the daily walk or baking cupcakes because Sally wants to lay down or Bill needs teething gel put on his gums every 2 hours.
SunshineMama 12:21 PM 01-31-2012
I allow children to come to my home with minor colds- we're talking clear, runny noses that I only have to wipe a few times a day, and a mild cough. If they need Tylenol, then they probably have a fever and therefore are not allowed to come.

To answer your question about separating your own kids from your daycare kids, my answer is that you can try, but good luck. I have had children come when they probably should have stayed home (My backbone isn't so great yet, but i'm getting there), and I tried to separate them. I kept the daycare kids in the playroom and allowed my kids the run of the house. I spent all day running up and down the stairs, trying to keep them separate. I did separate eating times, washed my hands like a crazy person, you name it. As soon as the sick child left I aired out the playroom and lysol sprayed everything, then I wiped it down with vinegar.

...My kids still got sick.

The moral of the story: If you are not ok with your child getting whatever illness the daycare kid has, make sure you send the daycare kid home. If you're up for the task of helping your own child to boost their immunity through germ exposure, then by all means, let them play.
Tags:sick policy
Reply Up