Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Drop Off Help
My Lil' Monkeys 06:32 AM 12-08-2010
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and I have to say I LOVE it!! I do have a question regarding a new dcg. She has never been in daycare and Monday was her first day. They are only coming this week and then start full time in Jan. Monday was a great drop off, Tuesday she clang to her mom and screamed when she left, and today I could hear her screaming when her mom opened the door to the car and I had to pull her off mom screaming at the top of her lungs. I know this is a very hard time for her and once her Mom has left she climbs on my couch calms herself down and then won't talk to me but gives me nasty looks. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do? She told me today that she tried to talk her mom out of bring her here and that she doesn't like it. If someone could please help me I would really appreciate it!! Also, if in 2 weeks she's still doing the same thing, what do I do? She's suppose to get dropped off at 6:30 and I don't want her waking up my family because of her screaming. Please help!! Thank You!! (Sorry so Long)
Mom&Provider 03:20 PM 12-08-2010
How old is she? Did she stay at home with Mom before this?

Sounds like she is testing the waters with both of you! Have you tried asking her directly what activities she'd like to do? Or maybe find out from Mom what crafts or something she really enjoys to do at home? Maybe once you get her out of her shell a bit and make her realize you're pretty fun too, she'll come around.
My Lil' Monkeys 04:00 PM 12-08-2010
She is 3 and she has never been away from mom. I asked her mom before her first drop off to bring something from home to help her transition to my house and mom told me that she asked her and she didn't want to bring anything. I also asked mom what she likes to do and she told me she likes to play and do everything.

I have asked the dcg everyday this week what she would like to do and I get nothing from her (but nasty looks). I have offered her a variety of toys and activities to play with and she just shakes her head "no" at me every time. I took her to the library today and she seemed to enjoy that and I told her that tomorrow we were going to run to Target and she said she didn't like to shop. I have noticed that she plays a little then sits on my couch. It doesn't matter if there is music on or sometimes the TV or nothing on at all she just sits on my couch. I tried pulling out a tunnel today and she wanted nothing to do with it but sit on the couch. I feel like she really doesn't like me and she hates coming to my house and I'm just wondering how much time do I give her to adjust?

I should say I do have other dck's and they seem to love to come and play at my house. We sing and dance, read books, play outside and most days have a great time.

Thank You so much for your help!!
nikia 04:32 PM 12-08-2010
Originally Posted by katiez01:
She is 3 and she has never been away from mom. I asked her mom before her first drop off to bring something from home to help her transition to my house and mom told me that she asked her and she didn't want to bring anything. I also asked mom what she likes to do and she told me she likes to play and do everything.

I have asked the dcg everyday this week what she would like to do and I get nothing from her (but nasty looks). I have offered her a variety of toys and activities to play with and she just shakes her head "no" at me every time. I took her to the library today and she seemed to enjoy that and I told her that tomorrow we were going to run to Target and she said she didn't like to shop. I have noticed that she plays a little then sits on my couch. It doesn't matter if there is music on or sometimes the TV or nothing on at all she just sits on my couch. I tried pulling out a tunnel today and she wanted nothing to do with it but sit on the couch. I feel like she really doesn't like me and she hates coming to my house and I'm just wondering how much time do I give her to adjust?

I should say I do have other dck's and they seem to love to come and play at my house. We sing and dance, read books, play outside and most days have a great time.

Does she play with the other kids at all?
safechner 05:10 PM 12-08-2010
Originally Posted by katiez01:

I had this same problem when my dcg started with me about two years ago when she was 2 1/2 years old. She didn't want to do anything but she gave me nasty looks everyday. I let her sit on the couch to do nothing so I ignore her while I was doing something with daycare kids (story time, activities, craft time, cycle time, etc). A week later, she gave up and join with us because I ignore her and didn't tried to give her to do something or play or whatever. She loves to come here ever since now. She is now 4 years old. Just give her some time and do not offer her anything at all. She will get bored to sit on the couch all day everyday until she give up and join with y'all. It works for me.
My Lil' Monkeys 05:47 PM 12-08-2010
Once in a while she plays with my son. My feelings are that she might be better in a group with kids her own age as my dck are all under 2 and my son who just turned 2.
My Lil' Monkeys 05:54 PM 12-08-2010
Originally Posted by safechner:
I had this same problem when my dcg started with me about two years ago when she was 2 1/2 years old. She didn't want to do anything but she gave me nasty looks everyday. I let her sit on the couch to do nothing so I ignore her while I was doing something with daycare kids (story time, activities, craft time, cycle time, etc). A week later, she gave up and join with us because I ignore her and didn't tried to give her to do something or play or whatever. She loves to come here ever since now. She is now 4 years old. Just give her some time and do not offer her anything at all. She will get bored to sit on the couch all day everyday until she give up and join with y'all. It works for me.
Thank You!! I'll try that. I'm just concerned she's going to get worse with her drop off and screaming. I want to give her more time to adjust but I'm really concerned that she's not going too.
Tags:drop off, screaming
Reply Up