Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Raising You Voice
Francine 02:40 AM 12-11-2012
I have a group of all boys, 2 3/4 and under. The almost 3 year old is in the mist of terrible 2's and 2 others are not far behind. I am finding myself raising my voice much more than I like and I'm not liking it at all. Here is an example and I would love you to tell me how you would handle it.

My changing station is right outside of the playroom, I can see everything from there. I have an infant on the table being changed, 2 of the boys start going after a toy that another kid is playing with. Not a huge deal but grabbing toys from one another is not allowed. They know that I can't leave the poopy butt that I am dealing with and nothing that I say stops what they are doing. So now one kids is crying because his toys has been taken from him and the other 2 are fight over the toy.

I know it is their age but it's like they all have big bubbles around their heads that say I CAN'T HEAR YOU LOL All day long I say the same things over and over and over again, day after day after day after day. There has got to be a better way!!!!
Scout 03:06 AM 12-11-2012
If it is an ongoing thing with a specific toy time after time, a ball for example, they get one warning. When it happens again I take the toy away for the remainder of the day. The next day we can try again.
DaisyMamma 04:39 AM 12-11-2012
Originally Posted by Scout:
If it is an ongoing thing with a specific toy time after time, a ball for example, they get one warning. When it happens again I take the toy away for the remainder of the day. The next day we can try again.
This is what I do.

I also have all boys. 10 mo., 2, 2.5, 3. I just termed a 4yo boy. It's much more pleasant without the 4yo boy. The 2 and 2.5 yo are usually the ones fighting over something. My problem is that it's not necessarily a specific toy. I might have 3 or 10 of that exact toy and they will still fight over it
Take the toy away then redirect. It is a problem when you are changing a diaper or otherwise engaged, I agree. They just ignore what you say .

Perhaps a "special" set of toys - that are all exactly the same (hopefully that helps) and bring them out only when it is time to change a diaper, make lunch, etc.

They will eventually get over this phase and start a new, equally annoying, dangerous or silly phase! IT'S NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN CHILDCARE
Francine 04:47 AM 12-11-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
This is what I do.

I also have all boys. 10 mo., 2, 2.5, 3. I just termed a 4yo boy. It's much more pleasant without the 4yo boy. The 2 and 2.5 yo are usually the ones fighting over something. My problem is that it's not necessarily a specific toy. I might have 3 or 10 of that exact toy and they will still fight over it
Take the toy away then redirect. It is a problem when you are changing a diaper or otherwise engaged, I agree. They just ignore what you say

YES! It doesn't matter what it is, they fight over it!!! They don't want it unless somebody else has it. I have 3 Fisher Price school buses and 3 two year old boys, the buses are exactly the same but they still fight over them constantly. SOOOO frustrating!!
williams2008 07:02 AM 12-11-2012
I have to deal with the same thing the entire day! I just take the toy away for the entire day, then they go on to fight over another one..
daycare 07:20 AM 12-11-2012
When I do diaper changes everyone has to sit on the wall as we sing.

If they can't be trusted to play without you needing to be right by there then they need to be right by you as we'll.

What's with all the boys. I also have 9 boys 2 girls.
allsmiles 07:28 AM 12-11-2012
i have all boys too HAHA
Evansmom 07:36 AM 12-11-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:

If they can't be trusted to play without you needing to be right by there then they need to be right by you as we'll.

I too agree with this. If they can't be trusted then they need to come sit by you during diaper changes. In time maybe this passes and you can trust them again but for now just tell them they aren't behaving and they have to come with you.

I put the toys in time out when someone is fighting over it. I'd be willing to do that all day if I needed to make a point. At some point the consequence for their fighting would be that all the toys they wanted were put away and maybe they would get it then.
wdmmom 07:46 AM 12-11-2012
My kids know fighting over a toy equals it being taken out of inventory. Kids that attend here are taught that these toys are mine and Im sharing with them. Misuse or abuse of my toys means I take them back. Either they get set on a shelf for the remainder of the week or if its a FFT (frequent fighter toy), it gets put in storage.
Heidi 08:07 AM 12-11-2012
Maybe you could rotate a "helper" during diaper changes. Make it into a postiive vs. a negative?

With one out of the mix for a few minutes, the others may be less likely to fight.

If they are fighting over a toy, unless it becomes physical, I'd actually let them work it out. If someone is left crying, then finish what you are doing, then go over and take the "taker" back to the "takie". Show him the child's face. "Look, Adam is so sad that you took that truck away from him. Look at his tears. I would like you to give that truck back. Thank you" If he doesn't give it back willingly, I'd push it and make him give it back, but still say thank you. "I know you want to use the truck too. When Adam is done, then you can have a turn".

Then..."Adam, Joey wants to use that truck too. When you are done, please give it to Joey. It's so nice to take turns".

If you are nearby and Joey is trying to take the truck, then is a good time to say "Joey...say may I have a turn?" and model how they can work through it. Maybe, set an egg timer for turns, or until the song is over (on the CD player)?
MNMum 08:50 AM 12-11-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:

I was at a training last night. The trainer used to go in and observe children who were have behavioral problems/possible delays. In a year she serviced just over 200 kids. Only 4 were girls! No wonder I almost went crazy my first year when I had 5 boys, 1 girl.
Countrygal 09:11 AM 12-11-2012
Boys has been my lot as well! Sometimes I have just wondered "why can't I have a couple of cute little girls?

Then I had one come for an interview and was she a terror! Climbing the bookshelves, touching everything in my house (not the daycare room), pulling the dog's hair, sitting on the very small cavalier king charles spaniel, etc, etc.

I was happy to go back to my boys......
Reply Up