Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cubbies / Lockers
PitterPatter 07:30 PM 08-05-2011
What do u use for cubbies or lockers for your daycare kids items? I am looking to buy or build some new ones. I need to stay inexpensive tho.
Crazy8 07:35 PM 08-05-2011
I don't use lockers for their stuff but I use the Closetmaid cubbies for toys and stuff and they are nice and cheap (so much so I just redid my whole room in them because I wanted a different color wood, LOL). They sell all kinds of pieces.

For my daycare kids personal belongings I just put them in my hall closet - top bar is just dck's coats - middle shelf is their bags/backpacks, etc.
sharlan 07:37 PM 08-05-2011
I used to use recycling bins from Lowe's. One for each kid and I had a coat hook right above it.

Now that my toys have overtaken my playroom, I no longer have room so I started using the plastic containers that had 3 drawers. I keep that in my family room.

Next week, I'm going to paint an area of my entryway with magnetic paint and get one of those cube holders that holds 9 little baskets. I'll hang my license and everything that has to be together on the wall with little magnets. I'll have a sign in/out sheet on top of the cube.
e.j. 09:41 AM 08-06-2011
I use a wire cube shelving system for my dc kids' cubbies. You can configure them to fit in the space you have. I put mine together so it's 3 cubes high, and 3 cubes across. Inside each cubby, I have a plastic bin with the child's name on it.

I also have two sets of the same shelving in my day care room for toy storage. One is 3 cubes high with 4 cubes across. The other is 2 cubes high with 3 cubes across.

I got mine on sale so they were cheaper than these and with back-to-school sales, you might find them on sale too, but this will give you an idea of what mine look like:

http://www.target.com/Wire-Cube-Shel...n&frombrowse=0
SandeeAR 12:07 PM 08-06-2011
I don't keep diaper bags, or school age, so no bags at all. At most I have a hair bow that comes out, and shoes or med to go home. I don't use lockers, I use this behind my door. I use a hook rack with canvas bags, with name tags.

The system won't let me attach the pic here. But, it is in this thread.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32173
cheerfuldom 02:53 PM 08-06-2011
have you checked out DYI sites/blogs? If you are handy or have someone who is, it really shouldn't be that big of a deal to make one.

this blog is one of my favorites
http://ana-white.com/
kitkat 03:14 PM 08-06-2011
My dad made a locker unit of 4 lockers with one shelf each. He made all of it out of melamine boards and the back is peg board. It takes up a lot of room, but I really like it. I have a bin in the bottom of each locker and that's great for snowy boots.
DaisyMamma 06:21 PM 08-06-2011
SandeeAR,
What about coats and shoes?
I have a similar set up as yours and my room seems to be taken over by shoes!
SandeeAR 11:21 AM 08-07-2011
Originally Posted by lymemomma:
SandeeAR,
What about coats and shoes?
I have a similar set up as yours and my room seems to be taken over by shoes!
I only keep up thru age 4, so shoes go in the bag. My hook rack has two hook rows, bags go on the bottom row, coats on the top. I got the rack and bags at Hobby Lobby.
DaisyMamma 05:16 PM 08-07-2011
check this out! great for sending home papers. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...264#/70163263/
JaydensMommy 06:26 PM 08-07-2011
Originally Posted by lymemomma:
check this out! great for sending home papers. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...264#/70163263/
I love Ikea! Wish I had one nearby, but I do have one of these and have it over my changing table. I put labels with the childrens names on it and keep their diapers in them. And I use the closetmaid cubbies from target. I like them, enough space for shoes and papers and a small bag.
Unregistered 05:23 AM 08-08-2011
I use wooden crates from the craft store stacked on top of each other. Been there 4 years. My only problem is that the kids climb them to look out the window sometimes and they pull them off the wall!
PitterPatter 08:30 AM 08-08-2011
I found the perfect kids storage bench to use as my cubby. Instead of lifting up it has slots and fabric bins underneath and fits perfect along the wall of the entry to the play room! $40 at Big Lots! Got a new table too, another $50. While I was at it I went ahead and bought a couple new plastic shevling units and some fabric bins to slide on those and 6 more plastic totes for the manipulatives. Grand total $150 but it looks like a new daycare! I stayed up until 2:00am finishing it and the kids flipped when they came in! They couldn't find anything at 1st! Now I am really exhausted but happy! I hope I can make it thru the day on 3 hrs sleep!
MARSTELAC 08:37 AM 08-08-2011
I got rid of my cubbies.....caused too much drama with my dcps. I was using large two-drawer plastic things that stacked and were opaque so I could see in them. I was able to stack 4 then another 4 (total 8 drawers) and multiple kids from a family would share. BUT, then people started putting things in them that were a no-no. Choking hazzards, meds, food....and if they forgot stuff in them then they'd be calling at all hours to come back to daycare to pick stuff up. Got really annoying to me so they are gone. So is the drama. :-) I have hooks for coats/hats and the corner in the entryway for their shoes. I have one little basket on the floor of my closet at the entryway for the kids to put extra flip flops.
SandeeAR 08:45 AM 08-08-2011
Glad you found something that works for you. It is amazing how excited they get over anything new. I bought 4 small plastic baskets at Target $1 bin. Sort of like the adult sized beach baskets. They went straight for them and have been loading toys all morning and carrying them around.

$4 for a days worth of total entertainment!
Tags:clutter, cubbies, locker, organizing tips, shelf, shelves, storage
Reply Up