Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help Me Create My Daycare Space
craftymissbeth 01:14 PM 02-26-2013
Hello, everyone!

I'm in the beginning stages of starting my home daycare. I've started training and taken care a lot of the things that need taken care of as far as licensing goes, but I'm having problems organizing and decorating.

I'll be using the room that we currently use as our dining room. It is the first room you come into when you walk into the house. I also have a small office type room just a few feet away that is currently empty. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this room, but it's available

Areas in the "dining room" that I would like to have: a reading nook (probably a teepee with a bookshelf next to it?), a kids table for eating/crafty things (probably right next to the stairway), and maybe a cubby shelf to put toys in. I'm going to be purchasing a large rug for the center of the room also.

I guess I just need help with some ideas for what can be done with the space I have. I know it's difficult to tell exactly what's going on just from pictures, but I'm including some with this post so maybe you can kinda see what I've got to work with.

Picture 1: The entry way.
Picture 2: Windows and space next to entry way.
Picture 3: Looking into the room from the front door. The kitchen is to the left of the black hutch.
Picture 4: View from the corner opposite of the front door.
Picture 5: Stairs, hallway, and bathroom door. This is also where that other random officy type room is located.

I think I wrote ^ these in order of the pictures. Also, so sorry that some of the pictures are sideways.
Any ideas or advice would be fantastic! Thanks, guys!!
Attached: Dining Room 1.jpg (35.7 KB) Dining Room 2.jpg (42.0 KB) 1.jpg (34.8 KB) 2.jpg (46.6 KB) 3.jpg (47.5 KB) 
craftymissbeth 01:16 PM 02-26-2013
Oh and the brown secretary and dining room table will definitely be moved to another room. The black hutch could possibly be moved also.
MsLaura529 01:31 PM 02-26-2013
I know it would be a lot, but could you do something UNDER the stairs ... I've seen things on pinterest where they have taken that area and turned it into a playhouse or something ... could even be the little reading nook you're talking about?

Another idea would be getting some cube shelves (those kind that are 2 cubes side by side) to hang on the wall for storage and then you can get the bright canvas cubes to add some colors to your walls.

The little office room could be used as an infant nap room?

I'm just starting out, too ... good luck to you!
craftymissbeth 01:41 PM 02-26-2013
Yes! Thank you! I'm planning on using that area under the stairs for our tornado shelter because our "basement" is really just a crawlspace with a little room dug into it. It's gross down there.

Soo if I make that a little reading area, that would help make it cozy under there for when we have to go down there during storms.

Great idea, thanks!

And good luck to you, also!
KnoxMom 01:52 PM 02-26-2013
Awesome idea on the stairs! I'd check out IKEA's website and some blogs like apartment therapy for ideas on how to utilize/maximize small spaces. Shelving and storage will definitely be key in the main area. The extra room could either be for nap/quiet time or art projects. Happy arranging!
MarinaVanessa 01:58 PM 02-26-2013
How big is your office room? Id it big enough to be used as a nap room? If not all of the kids can fit there can you make that your infant nap room and keep your cribs/pack n plays there?
craftymissbeth 02:08 PM 02-26-2013
The office is maybe 10x10 and I won't be having infants... so it's plenty big enough to make it a nap room, I'm sure. That's a great idea!
Heidi 02:21 PM 02-26-2013
I didn't see where you are from so I don't know what the weather's like, but if I could have a room to use for gross motor on cold/wet days, I'd totally do that!

There is a decor group you can join for ideas, too. Check it out.
MsLaura529 02:49 PM 02-26-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I didn't see where you are from so I don't know what the weather's like, but if I could have a room to use for gross motor on cold/wet days, I'd totally do that! There is a decor group you can join for ideas, too. Check it out.

I definitely want to do this, too! We have an unfinished basement, but the people that lived here before us had partially finished off a little room right when you walk down the stairs (just drywall on 2 walls with a door - nothing else done), and if my daycare takes off, I'd love to be able to turn this into a little "gym" type room. It's perfect size for one of those kangaroo climbers, another little slide and maybe one of those foam climbers.
craftymissbeth 03:09 PM 02-26-2013
I'm in Kansas, so there are definitely days where that would come in handy!
Starburst 10:24 PM 02-26-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
Another idea would be getting some cube shelves (those kind that are 2 cubes side by side) to hang on the wall for storage and then you can get the bright canvas cubes to add some colors to your walls.
You can also get some of those 6 or 9 cube shelves and some pop upbaskets and use those a cubbies for the children's personal belongings (thats what I plan on using) They have the pop up baskets at the $1 store.
http://www.target.com/p/closetmaid-6...i_sku=13217298
they also have 3 cube ones that double as benches
http://www.target.com/p/closetmaid-3...i_sku=13217124
My step-uncle/neighbor has a 16 cube shelf he found at one of his management house that the old tendance left - I totally want it!
If you have a closet you could also get one of those shoe racks that hang on the rack for storage of items or as shoe holders/cubbies for kids.

You can also get an over the door shoe organizer from the $1 (the ones I got had 10-12 pockets) and you can use it to organize arts & crafts materials (brushe's paints). You can also use to organize some small books or smaller toys like cars, dolls, toy food/ kitechen utinsiles. You can also get over the door hooks so they can hang their coats/sweaters or you can just look for a clear space on a wall at their eye level and get those adhesive hooks.

If you plan on having a lession plan/curriculum/ activities you can get one of those storage carts and have one for everyday of the week http://compare.ebay.com/like/1409154...Types&var=sbar

or you can have clear storage drawer for all toys or arts and craft materials
http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-wh...i_sku=13170641

you can use the closet for extra storage or to put costumes for dramatic play (they have pink, blue, and white child sized clothing hangers at the $1 store)
countrymom 06:48 AM 02-27-2013
I would do dark wood stuff, then it would look so much nicer when you walked in and not so mishmash of stuff and it would match your walls. Also, for the entry way, I would make cubbies for the kids on the one wall and a bullentin board for the other.

I would make a house center, and a reading area and art area. In the extra space either make it a gym area or a house center or a nap/changing area.

pintrest has so many ideas.
Tags:daycare space, decor, layout
Reply Up