Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Spanking...
blandino 07:49 PM 04-09-2013
The thread about a DCP spanking got me thinking, is there any state where it is legal for a DCP to spank a DCC with parental permission ?

I know most states don't allow it, but I have to wonder if any do ?

In OK all forms of physical punishment are prohibited in daycares, however there are still some public schools that allow spanking if they have a parents permission. (In college I did an internship at a public school that used corporal punishment I had never witnessed that in 12 years of public school at a neighboring school district) and asked my advisor for the class and she said that it is legal, but most school districts don't practice it, but it is legal). So to me it is odd that a school can spank with parental permission, but a daycare can't. Maybe because there has to be a witness at the school, and not all home daycares have a witness ?
MyAngels 08:38 PM 04-09-2013
I have no idea on other states, but it's not allowed in schools or daycare in Illinois.
Blackcat31 09:10 PM 04-09-2013
"19 states*— mostly in the south and mountain west regions*— teachers are perfectly entitled by law to spank.

According to the Center for Effective Discipline, the 19 states where spanking remains a legal form of punishment are Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Wyoming. Some districts within these states have opted out of spanking, and others send home a "permission sheet" with the student for his parent. But other districts, many of which are in rural locations, are wholeheartedly in favor of spanking.

In 2011, democratic state representative Ari Porth sponsored a bill to ban school corporal punishment statewide in Florida, but voters said "Nay."

http://www.sheknows.com/parenting/ar...ers-spank-kids
blandino 09:48 PM 04-09-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
"19 states*— mostly in the south and mountain west regions*— teachers are perfectly entitled by law to spank.

According to the Center for Effective Discipline, the 19 states where spanking remains a legal form of punishment are Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Wyoming. Some districts within these states have opted out of spanking, and others send home a "permission sheet" with the student for his parent. But other districts, many of which are in rural locations, are wholeheartedly in favor of spanking.

In 2011, democratic state representative Ari Porth sponsored a bill to ban school corporal punishment statewide in Florida, but voters said "Nay."

I would be interested to see if any of those states allow DCP to spank. I am I'm OK, which is listed above - but DCP are not allowed to use corporal punishment. So it interests me to see if any states allow DCP to spank with permission.

FYI, the school district I was interning at was very rural.
Play Care 03:24 AM 04-10-2013
I know it's not legal in my state to spank a day care child, even with parental permission. I don't think schools can use corporal punishment (I'm in NY) I'm pretty sure it's not allowed as teachers have told me they are told never to put their hands on a student, ever.
MissAnn 03:41 AM 04-10-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I know it's not legal in my state to spank a day care child, even with parental permission. I don't think schools can use corporal punishment (I'm in NY) I'm pretty sure it's not allowed as teachers have told me they are told never to put their hands on a student, ever.
In tn you cannot spank in licensed programs. Spanking is allowed in public schools. I have not heard of it being utilized but parents sign a paper every year.
AnneCordelia 04:28 AM 04-10-2013
In Ontario, Canada it is illegal for a dcprovider to spank a dck even if parents give permission.

It is illegal for.a parent to spank a child younger than 2 or older than 12. It is illegal to spank with an object or on the face or in a humiliating way (on bare bum), or to leave a mark.
Laurel 04:38 AM 04-10-2013
I'm in Florida and I didn't know schools could spank. I've never heard of it. I did work in a public school when I first moved here in 1995 and it was never mentioned. I guess it is though.

It is not in daycares. We have to have parents sign a paper which says: Child shall not be subjected to discipline which is severe, humiliating or frightening. Discipline shall not be associated with food, rest or toileting. Spanking or any other form of physical punishment is prohibited.

In Florida, daycare rules are largely determined by the county you live in. However, there are some state laws regarding daycares. I'm not sure if the above applies to just our county or not as I've always done daycare only here.

Laurel
originalkat 06:00 AM 04-10-2013
In Kansas it is illegal to spank in a daycare even with parent permission.
LittleD 06:33 AM 04-10-2013
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
In Ontario, Canada it is illegal for a dcprovider to spank a dck even if parents give permission.

It is illegal for.a parent to spank a child younger than 2 or older than 12. It is illegal to spank with an object or on the face or in a humiliating way (on bare bum), or to leave a mark.
I didn't know there were age limits. Where did you find this?
allsmiles 07:28 AM 04-10-2013
My daughter attends a charter school that enforces corporal punishment but they have you sign a paper every year and you can choose NOT to allow it for your child.. This is not the case in any public schools.. i am in texas
many parents have given us permission to hit or spank. No matter my personal beliefs about it, we have to tell them its not allowed by the State so we cant.
AnneCordelia 07:30 AM 04-10-2013
Originally Posted by LittleD:
I didn't know there were age limits. Where did you find this?
Section 43 of the Criminal Code says parents, teachers and others standing in place of a guardian may spank. However in 2004 the Supreme Court of Ontario made some stipulations to that section.

This website is from New Brunswick but the info and citations are there. http://www.legal-info-legale.nb.ca/e...ining_children
Willow 07:40 AM 04-10-2013
It doesn't matter a bit to me whether it's allowed or not....imho, if you feel you have to assault a daycare aged child to effectively run your program you need to find a new profession.

(general you)
NeedaVaca 07:44 AM 04-10-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
It doesn't matter a bit to me whether it's allowed or not....imho, if you feel you have to assault a daycare aged child to effectively run your program you need to find a new profession.

(general you)

Country Kids 08:02 AM 04-10-2013

(general you)
Does this thought apply to teachers also? Just curious-not being snarky.

Our children here are considered daycare age till 13 so thats why I was asking about teachers since kids are in school from age 6-obviously 13.
Willow 08:16 AM 04-10-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Does this thought apply to teachers also? Just curious-not being snarky.

Our children here are considered daycare age till 13 so thats why I was asking about teachers since kids are in school from age 6-obviously 13.
Absolutely.
KDC 09:21 AM 04-10-2013
It is not allowed in this state, but regardless-- I would NEVER spank a child, mine or anyone else's. I do have a DCP that spanks their child and they've done it in front of me, and it makes me physically upset and uncomfortable. She is the only person I know that spanks their child, it's fairly uncommon around this area. DCB does not listen to her at all, but is a pretty good kid for me. I give him clear expectations and follow through on my 'time out' punishment. She gives many, many warnings - then institutes a 'spank'. I just don't see how spanking could work, I was spanked as a child in certain situations and I know I just used to laugh after it. Spanking would get harder and it wouldn't address the issue but become more of a tug of war for control.
NeedaVaca 09:51 AM 04-10-2013
I would never spank a child or sign a permission form for a school to spank. I grew up with parents that spanked and swore I would never do that. My mom and I have discussed this many times-spanking back then used to be more of a norm than it is now and she thinks kids act worse than they used to because of it. Even though I was spanked I do not feel like I was scarred for life but I feel like there are better ways to handle bad behavior.
allsmiles 12:41 PM 04-10-2013
It doesn't matter a bit to me whether it's allowed or not....imho, if you feel you have to assaulta daycare aged child to effectively run your program you need to find a new profession.

(general you)
This is a little much isnt it?? most of the posts here are talking about parents that enforce corporal punishment and request it of the provider and what the rules are about that?? So why would you question a providers need to be in a profession if that is what the PARENT chooses..
Not gonna even argue the point of corporal punishment because like I said, i do what my state requires for my DCKs, and what i believe is not up for discussion. i think we were all sharing ideas very respectfully about a touchy subject. no need to pass judgement and make sensational references to make it go southward..
Country Kids 12:55 PM 04-10-2013
Just wanted to have the definition of assault.

as·sault

/əˈsôlt/

Verb: Make a physical attack on.

Noun: A physical attack: "his imprisonment for an assault on the film director"; "sexual assaults".

Synonyms

verb.

attack - assail - charge - storm - rush

noun.

attack - onset - aggression - offense - raid - offence
Willow 01:10 PM 04-10-2013
Originally Posted by allsmiles:
This is a little much isnt it?? most of the posts here are talking about parents that enforce corporal punishment and request it of the provider and what the rules are about that?? So why would you question a providers need to be in a profession if that is what the PARENT chooses..
Not gonna even argue the point of corporal punishment because like I said, i do what my state requires for my DCKs, and what i believe is not up for discussion. i think we were all sharing ideas very respectfully about a touchy subject. no need to pass judgement and make sensational references to make it go southward..
Not sure what you're asking me here....I only referenced providers, not parents or their preferences.

Further, by definition corporal punishment IS assault:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/d...ral+punishment

That's not my opinion.

You couldnt go out and "spank" an employee for screwing up on the job, or slap someone speaking to you disrespectfully on the street. If one did, they'd be charged with?
ASSAULT.
Because that's what physically aggressing on someone else is.
allsmiles 01:39 PM 04-10-2013
im not asking you anything. Just suggesting that you might want to choose your words when commenting. You may not have meant it the way it sounded..

yes you did reference providers i know, and THAT is NOT on topic with the post.. the post is questioning providers ability to spank at a parents request? not if you the provider believes you should spank as a means of discipline or not.. so your words about "not needing to be in this profession" were an unnecessary attack? especially given the fact it is LEGAL in some schools?
if this HAD been the topic.. i would have kept moving personally because its one i dont want to be apart of.. it will get ugly

and that IS your opinion about assault LOL..nowhere does it say physical punishment equals assault and thats okay that you think it is assault or you think its immoral, unethical, WRONG.. etc.. i totally understand and respect that.. MOST of the ppl here who commented probably agree , but they chose to answer the question put before them without negativity and judgement..

sorry if you dont understand where im coming from.. its okay.
Unregistered 07:40 PM 04-10-2013
funny thing is...I think I have gotten permission to spank almost every child I have cared for! you know that "if he doesn't listen, you can spank him, I don't mind!" yea, that would hold up!
blandino 07:47 PM 04-10-2013
I just want to clarify, that originally I was purely curious whether any state allowed DCP to use physical punishment.

I am not looking to pack up and move that that state so that I can spank my DCK
Cradle2crayons 08:11 PM 04-10-2013
I'm not sure about other states, but here in ms, it's legal for public schools to spank (with lots of red tape and parental permission) as well as unlicensed providers. I'm a legal but unlicensed facility and ALL of my parents signed the form and insisted from day one to discipline them as per my policy... Which states that after several time outs and other methods, if the child continues with the same behavior, even with that permission on paper, I contact the parents, get permission again and document that via recording or screen shot, and then administer, per my policy, corporal punishment. My policy is actually ten times more detailed than the one I signed for my daughter for public schools. I was raised with corporal punishment in the home and in school and neither I, nor anyone I grew up with turned out with problems. No, I didn't get "attacked" as a child, nor assaulted... And I don't do either of those things with my kids, or my dck. It's simply a preference like any other parental decision. I may be verbally "assaulted" for what I'm typing here but it's the truth nonetheless. Now, I'm not saying that corporal punishment is a common thing in my home, it is a last resort. But it does happen. I can't tell you what the licensed facilities here can or can't do. But here, in Mississippi, parents and schools that don't spank are fewer than most states.
blandino 08:24 PM 04-10-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I'm not sure about other states, but here in ms, it's legal for public schools to spank (with lots of red tape and parental permission) as well as unlicensed providers. I'm a legal but unlicensed facility and ALL of my parents signed the form and insisted from day one to discipline them as per my policy... Which states that after several time outs and other methods, if the child continues with the same behavior, even with that permission on paper, I contact the parents, get permission again and document that via recording or screen shot, and then administer, per my policy, corporal punishment. My policy is actually ten times more detailed than the one I signed for my daughter for public schools. I was raised with corporal punishment in the home and in school and neither I, nor anyone I grew up with turned out with problems. No, I didn't get "attacked" as a child, nor assaulted... And I don't do either of those things with my kids, or my dck. It's simply a preference like any other parental decision. I may be verbally "assaulted" for what I'm typing here but it's the truth nonetheless. Now, I'm not saying that corporal punishment is a common thing in my home, it is a last resort. But it does happen. I can't tell you what the licensed facilities here can or can't do. But here, in Mississippi, parents and schools that don't spank are fewer than most states.
I won't be verbally assaulting you. I actually like your policy. I am in favor of spanking when used correctly, and sparingly. One of my DCM took a parenting class that said "if you are using spanking correctly you shouldn't have to do it often, and should be done by age 5.". Which I thought was interesting.

Now in my state, that is a no-no, so I will not be spanking DCK at any time. I would say 50% of my parents do spank at home.
Cradle2crayons 04:06 AM 04-11-2013
Thanks, and i agree with that parenting class. In my home, even with my own kids, it's a rare thing. And, contrary to popular belief, you can spank a child without abusing them, humiliating them, or teaching them violence.
AnneCordelia 05:37 AM 04-11-2013
I am not a spanker. I do believe that my children deserve security of person just as an adult, but I agree that this verbage rubbed me the wrong way too. This kind of wording is for shock value and instead of getting people to understand your point of view it puts them on the defensive and is counter productive.

OT but this is something I try to teach my kids...how to voice your opinion in a way that will actually be heard. This opinion of saying parents who spank are guilty of assault and criminal charges is not going to have the opinion heard.
Cradle2crayons 06:08 AM 04-11-2013

(general you)
I think it's important to understand that spanking itself is a very hot topic now a days. However, I was raised in a very different manner. We were taught as do I now, spare the rod, spoil the child. It's a part of my very basic religious belief. Because its the way I was raised and now raise my kids is a personal decision, as is the decision their parents make. It's also a very deep rooted cultural thing here in the south. Now please keep in mind, my idea of spanking is very different than the media describes it. Parents that BEAT their kids are NOT spanking them too rough. They are BEATING them. But for some reason the media puts both of these words in the same category and that is not realistic. Don't get me started on the media.

It's no different than parents who let their kids stay up too late compared to the standards of others, and other decisions that you may make for your kid that I may not necessarily agree with. As far as I know, spanking is still a personal choice if done in the sense of a real spanking and not physical abuse because those are actually very different methods.

I think as a parent it's unfair to ask our kids to respect the opinion of others when we ourselves as the general adult population can't do the same. While I agree that every parent has the right to discipline their child the way they seem fit, then I have that same right. And while everyone has an opinion, it shouldn't be acceptable to defame the character and profession of a parent (or a provider who has that legal and ethical right) to enforce corporal punishment and chooses to do... Just that...
allsmiles 07:33 AM 04-11-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Thanks, and i agree with that parenting class. In my home, even with my own kids, it's a rare thing. And, contrary to popular belief, you can spank a child without abusing them, humiliating them, or teaching them violence.
exactly this.. i can actually count on ONE hand the times we have chosen to spank our own children, and mine are 15 and 11 now.. like you said it is a last resort.
Willow 08:22 AM 04-11-2013
To clarify, the word "assault" is not exclusive to criminal behavior or even physical action.
*BATTERY* is a physical action, and is criminal behavior.
But those two words are most definitely not one in the same.

I can assault a chocolate cake. I can assault my daycare kids senses by burning the meatloaf. Neither means I'm going to jail.

(I am a semantics nut, always have been, can you tell....)

I gave the definition of corporal punishment because that's what was being discussed and that's what spanking is. To repeat:

Corporal punishment is a form of physical punishment that involves the deliberate infliction of pain as retribution for an offense, or for the purpose of disciplining or reforming a wrongdoer, or to deter attitudes or behavior deemed unacceptable. The term usually refers to methodically striking the offender with the open hand or with an implement, whether in judicial, domestic, or educational settings.

Striking someone is assaulting them. There is intent to inflict pain, and resulting apprehension. Just because it makes people feel better to call it a "potch" "small swat" or claim that it's done with purpose doesn't mean it isn't laying your hands on someone elses body with the intent being to inflict damage/pain.

I don't say that to offend. Nor do I say it with judgement.I say it because it's fact.

My parents were often whooped (not for religious or geographical reasons).
I was often whooped, or slapped, or swatted with wooden spoons (not for religious or geographical reasons).
I can also count on one hand how many times I've raised a hand to my own children (surprise surprise, yes I have too, and not for religious or geographical reasons)

None of us (as in my generations) did it in a moment of calm, and none of us did it because it made shred any sense. We did it because we were rip roaring ticked at something that drove us to a moment of insanity and we had no where else to take our frustration. That's assault. I openly admit I could have and should have handled those situations better. Although I've never left any physical marks on my kids I believe there were better ways I could have handled my anger and frustration, as well as the issue at hand.

Because it wasn't my experience nor have I ever seen anyone do such a thing, it's hard for me to picture anyone spanking "nicely." Using explanation and reason, you know?

In a calm and rational frame of mind I would never sit on the end of my daughters bed to tell what she did wrong, why it was wrong, and then ask her to bend over while I nicely patted her behind. There is just nowhere in my brain that that makes any sense and I'm sorry if it offends, but I actually laughed out loud typing that out. How insanely ridiculous that that could or should be expected to have any sort of impact in her head. It's exactly why children often times DO crack up when their parents crack them in the butt. Because even they realize how hilariously crazy the exchange is. When I mouthed off to my dad there was no discussion, I was getting popped in the mouth and that spoke for itself. The toddler in the grocery store who runs off in the parking lot is usually snagged by one arm and popped on the butt out of moms sheer terror. A kid plays ball in the house and busts a window, dad isn't going to be like awww, lets sit down and talk about this, he's going to knock some sense into the kid and then maybe three days later when he calms down he'll threaten him that if he does it again he'll get much worse.

There is a reason why spanking is synonymous with all kinds of hilarious words and phrases. For the vast majority of people it is NOT as some of you seem to imply it is here.

If my kid didn't clean her room I'd take her things away. If she was rude or mean to her brother or another child I'd have her make up for that. If she was disrespectful or disobeyed me I'd have her make amends. Hitting her in any way, nice, harshly or a combination of the two wouldn't teach the lessons a punishment ACTUALLY fitting the crime would. As a parent I know spanking taught me to fear my parents (they hit HARD and it always came fast, they certainly never sat at the end of my bed and then tried to tie my "spanking" into a reasonable consequence for not having my room cleaned for days on end - it was - you screwed up and it pissed me off so reap what you sow. I didn't need a discussion about it, the action spoke for itself). It merely taught me to adapt and lie (yes my bedroom is clean, at least as far as you can see.....btw don't look under my bed or in my dresser drawers because that's where all my crap really is). It didn't damage me by any means lol, but it sure as HECK didn't teach me anything productive either.

Don't get me wrong. I adore my parents and I feel phenomenally blessed to have been raised by them. I don't harbor any resentment and we laugh about that stuff now. But they also fully acknowledge it didn't work and are glad what I'm doing now with my own works far better. We've all evolved in that sense and I'm glad we're on the same page now.

I do think generations have done a great job sugar coating the heck out of the word "spanking" which is why when you break it down people end up in a tizzy. I would NEVER hurt my child!!!!!

Well yeah, you would. Spanking is supposed to hurt. That's the point.

If someone lets their child sit in front of the tv all day long people will tsk tsk them, but label it what it actually is -neglect- and holy buckets will heads roll.

One is an intentional act, the other passive, but most parents would never admit they hurt or neglect their kids....even if they actually do.

That's where I'm coming from with that.

Yes language is powerful, but people can also weaken the true meaning of words. People don't want to feel like they're hurting their kids so they definitely weakened the word "spanking" over time.

Does it really alter the meaning of what I originally said if I substitute other words, or is it really all the exact same ball of wax?

It doesn't matter a bit to me whether it's allowed or not....imho, if you feel you have to spank a daycare aged child to effectively run your program you need to find a new profession.

It doesn't matter a bit to me whether it's allowed or not....imho, if you feel you have to hit a daycare aged child to effectively run your program you need to find a new profession.

It doesn't matter a bit to me whether it's allowed or not....imho, if you feel you have to slap a daycare aged child to effectively run your program you need to find a new profession.

Willow 08:24 AM 04-11-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
I just want to clarify, that originally I was purely curious whether any state allowed DCP to use physical punishment.

I am not looking to pack up and move that that state so that I can spank my DCK

I didn't think that's where you were going with this, that's why I made sure to add the (general you) bit at the bottom
allsmiles 10:21 AM 04-11-2013
your experience is yours and it helped you develop ur opinion..thats cool..
im not gonna argue your experience vs others, how and why i spank or potential flaws in your reasoning (i.e. all ppl spank out of anger/frustration), again NOT the conversation i wished to enter..
This was about choice of words which you still feel yours was fine so not much else to say..
Cradle2crayons 03:05 PM 04-11-2013
your experience is yours and it helped you develop ur opinion..thats cool..
im not gonna argue your experience vs others, how and why i spank or potential flaws in your reasoning (i.e. all ppl spank out of anger/frustration), again NOT the conversation i wished to enter..
This was about choice of words which you still feel yours was fine so not much else to say..
Thanks for your comment... I agree 100% ... It's okay for people who don't believe in spankings to say that people that spank only do it because we are angry as heck and do it because we enjoy hurting our children... But it wouldn't be okay for those of use who do use spanking to say that those that don't spank are lazy and tiptoe around their kids and instead of doing what's worked for thousands of years choose to listen to "professionals" who have never spent more than five minutes with a child yet they are experts say spanking is wrong.

Personally I think it's like any other discipline, it should be tailored to each child and done correctly. And you never ever ever discipline a child in any way, shape, or form when you are ANGRY. Time out, when done in anger is no better... I have never ever used any form of discipline while angry. As a matter of fact only once in my life have I ever gotten even a little upset at a child. At that point I sent my daughter to her room, enforced a time out on myself, and then I punished her.
EntropyControlSpecialist 03:21 PM 04-11-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

My state is one that can spank.

But, daycares (both centers and in-home) CANNOT use any forms of physical punishment. I do find that odd to have such a difference.
EntropyControlSpecialist 03:22 PM 04-11-2013
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:

I wish I would have lived there growing up! I was spanked bare bottomed with a wooden spoon (usually to the point of them breaking) until I was 16 years old! It was never for anything truly worthy of a spanking, either. My parents did a poor job of parenting a child with Asperger's.
Cradle2crayons 03:26 PM 04-11-2013
Originally Posted by EntropyControlSpecialist:
I wish I would have lived there growing up! I was spanked bare bottomed with a wooden spoon (usually to the point of them breaking) until I was 16 years old! It was never for anything truly worthy of a spanking, either. My parents did a poor job of parenting a child with Asperger's.
Entropy I'm so sorry that spanking was used in this way against you... That's not the way it's supposed to happen.... That wasn't spanning though... That was beating... Again I'm still sorry....
Tags:punishment, spanking
Reply Up