Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>CA Provider Question
CrackerJacks 07:38 AM 02-13-2014
I have a SA that comes one day/week for 4.5hrs. He has an IEP which states that he is entitled to 3hrs of OT/behavioral daily + what he receives at school. Does anyone know what the licensing requirements are for his therapist who comes into my home? For the most part the time they come are at naptime, so all there is little to no interactions between the therapist and the other children, just the SA. Any info would help. I dislike calling licensing (who doesn't right).
sharlan 07:47 AM 02-13-2014
I can't find anything in the Title 22 Regs about this. I would email your analyst so you have something in writing.
MarinaVanessa 08:03 AM 02-13-2014
I agree with Sharlan. I'd ask your licensor because really it's up to that person. I asked mine once about a cleaning lady coming once a week to clean for two hours and was told that I could either take the children outside to play while she cleaned or I could have the children in the 1st floor of the house while she cleaned the 2nd floor and vise versa, otherwise the cleaning person would have to be TB tested and background checked. But again, that's what my analyst told me.
TwinKristi 08:51 AM 02-13-2014
Well wouldn't most OTs who work with kids already have their LiveScan and Tb test anyway just to work? Even at the gym daycare and church nursery I worked at we had to be fingerprinted by law. So I don't think that part is an issue. I think it's the exposure to other kids. Personally I allow the early intervention services in my home because I want to encourage as much therapy as possible for my little DCG who's delayed. I know mom works and Nana works and he's here 5 days a week. We've changed his schedule so he has his home meeting on a Monday AM before he comes but occasionally she'll come here, Tues 5pm he has speech at home, and Friday AM he has OT/PT before he comes here. The coordinators are great and the other kids LOVE playing with the toys they bring over. The first guy kinda gave me the creeps and wasn't big on letting the other kids play too but the new girl is nice and allows the other kids to be involved. It's mainly my DS when she's here now in the afternoons. They really aren't to be "left alone" with the kids receiving therapy I was told.
It's not something everyone wants to deal with but I really don't know if an IEP extends to childcare? My oldest, twins, had IEPs for speech and received services from 3-7 through preschool and then elem school when they started and they were in daycare during that time but didn't receive services while at her house.
CrackerJacks 08:54 AM 02-13-2014
They should have a live scan and tb, but it's not specifically associated with my lic #. Which could/not be an issue.
MarinaVanessa 10:38 AM 02-13-2014
I would call just to make sure. You'd need the person's name at minimum and a copy of their clearance for both the background and the TB test. I don't think it needs to be tied to your license though since the therapist isn't an employee.

Licensing however may want to verify that the therapists background clearance qualifies for their requirements. I know that some criminal background checks don't qualify (military, law enforcement, teacher).
Margarete 12:36 PM 02-13-2014
She probably meets this requirement for exemption of background checks: (pg 22 http://www.dss.cahwnet.gov/getinfo/pdf/fcc.PDF

(5) A medical professional, as defined in Section 102352(m)(1), who holds a valid license or certification from the individual's governing California medical care regulatory entity if all of the following apply:
(A) The criminal record of the individual has been cleared as a condition of licensure or certification by the individual's California medical care regulatory entity.
(B) The individual is providing time-limited specialized clinical care or services.
(C) The individual is providing care or services within the individual's scope of practice.
(D) The individual is not a community care facility licensee and is not employed, retained, or contracted by the licensee
TwinKristi 12:54 PM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by Margarete:
She probably meets this requirement for exemption of background checks: (pg 22 http://www.dss.cahwnet.gov/getinfo/pdf/fcc.PDF

(5) A medical professional, as defined in Section 102352(m)(1), who holds a valid license or certification from the individual's governing California medical care regulatory entity if all of the following apply:
(A) The criminal record of the individual has been cleared as a condition of licensure or certification by the individual's California medical care regulatory entity.
(B) The individual is providing time-limited specialized clinical care or services.
(C) The individual is providing care or services within the individual's scope of practice.
(D) The individual is not a community care facility licensee and is not employed, retained, or contracted by the licensee

perfect!!!
CrackerJacks 09:45 PM 02-13-2014
Spoke with licensing. They said since its only 3hrs 1x/week and the services are just for that child and I don't leave then its fine. Thanks all.
Tags:assistant
Reply Up