Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Love Most About Being a CCP?
drseuss 09:21 AM 02-27-2014
It is that tough time of year where a lot of us are feeling extra stress, so I thought I'd start a thread about the GREATEST things about being a CCP!

I love that over time, I get to watch children that I have loved and nurtured grow into young adults!

I love that I get to sing and dance to songs that I make up and the children laugh and they don't think I'm nuts!

I love witnessing children offer random acts of kindness to others.

How about you?
drseuss 09:23 AM 02-27-2014
Almost forgot, I really love story time!
Annalee 09:31 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by drseuss:
It is that tough time of year where a lot of us are feeling extra stress, so I thought I'd start a thread about the GREATEST things about being a CCP!

I love that over time, I get to watch children that I have loved and nurtured grow into young adults!

I love that I get to sing and dance to songs that I make up and the children laugh and they don't think I'm nuts!

I love witnessing children offer random acts of kindness to others.

How about you?
I LOVE being my own boss, plus seeing the efforts of my work through the years as children grow into adulthood. Some come back to see me, and some I see in the local newspaper getting married/ job promotions/military credentials, etc..... It is a wonderful feeling to see a grown child out somewhere say to those around "hey everyone this is Ms. ____, she took care of me". Makes my heart proud!
daycarediva 09:41 AM 02-27-2014
When they master a skill, or learn a new concept, that light bulb moment where their eyes light up and they look at me. Yup, that's my 'it' moment. Especially this week.
Blackcat31 09:43 AM 02-27-2014
I love being a child care provider because of the money.

I know.

But it's true.

I also love being my own boss.
morgan24 09:50 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I know.

But it's true.

Ditto
nannyde 09:53 AM 02-27-2014
Money and working from home.
Cat Herder 10:01 AM 02-27-2014
(I am skipping the "I love kids" stuff.... I also love watching wildlife in their natural habitats, but I have not figured out a way to make a living doing that. )

I love being home for my own kids everyday.

I love that I make almost what I made outside of the home Monday-Friday, minus all the expenses of travel.

I love the tax deductions.

I love having dinner on the table, laundry done and a clean house the very minute I am off work everyday.

I love not having to do any housework on the weekends.

I love that my marriage is strong because I have time and energy left every night and weekend.

I love that I am able to set the tone for my day.

I love that I get to chose who I work with.

I could go on but you get the idea....
Play Care 10:06 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
(I am skipping the "I love kids" stuff.... I also love watching wildlife in their natural habitats, but I have not figured out a way to make a living doing that. )

I love that I make almost what I made outside of the home Monday-Friday, minus all the expenses of travel.

I love having dinner on the table, laundry done and a clean house the very minute I am off work everyday.

Everything she said!!!
Shell 10:16 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

I love that my marriage is strong because I have time and energy left every night and weekend.

Wow- that's quite an uplifting list. I agree with all of the above, except having energy for my marriage...still working on that
Patches 10:19 AM 02-27-2014
Nap time
Cat Herder 10:21 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by mrsmichelle:
Wow- that's quite an uplifting list. I agree with all of the above, except having energy for my marriage...still working on that
Please note my kids are teens, now.

Self feeding, cleaning, driving and even self financed, occasionally.

It will come.

* I had deleted the marriage line (then reworded it) from the first draft of my post because it sounded somehow raunchy in it's original wording.. It was a difficult point to convey politely for some reason...
Annalee 10:40 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I know.

But it's true.

I am sure if any of us didn't HAVE to work, we would NOT!
llpa 10:44 AM 02-27-2014
If I knew how to highlight and quote, I would quote BlackCat!!! annnnd the lightbulb going off thing too, haha
TaylorTots 10:47 AM 02-27-2014
As a former center-based pre-k teacher, I adore being my own boss. I love deciding what children I will take/keep/etc. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that the cleaning I do all day long means my house is clean at the end of the day! I love that I get paid every week and 4 times more than I did as a pre-k teacher since I don't have childcare costs of my own... and I have 1/4 of the number of kids in home daycare that I had in the center by myself!

I love giving children the freedom in their environment to learn and play naturally where a lot of their parents' don't.

I love that going toy shopping and garage sale hunting is part of my job

And I enjoy listening to kids' tunes all day long, singing and dancing like an idiot as the kids think I am the most awesome singer/dancer EVER
drseuss 10:47 AM 02-27-2014
I must have missed the memo about child care providers making good money. My accountant stifles a laugh every year when I pick up my return.
drseuss 10:49 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by TaylorTots:
As a former center-based pre-k teacher, I adore being my own boss. I love deciding what children I will take/keep/etc. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that the cleaning I do all day long means my house is clean at the end of the day!

I love giving children the freedom in their environment to learn and play naturally where a lot of their parents' don't.

And I enjoy listening to kids' tunes all day long, singing and dancing like an idiot as the kids think I am the most awesome singer/dancer EVER
I feel the same way about giving my children freedom to learn and play naturally! Yes, you can paint and play with sand and play dough all you want at my house!
thetoddlerwhisper 11:00 AM 02-27-2014
i love being the solid point with my 2s. most of my kids don't have a home life. mom and dad fight or are separated. they might not get food or even hugs at home. The kids depend on me to make sure they're safe and loved. i do this for the kiddos.
thetoddlerwhisper 11:02 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by TaylorTots:
As a former center-based pre-k teacher, I adore being my own boss. I love deciding what children I will take/keep/etc. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that the cleaning I do all day long means my house is clean at the end of the day! I love that I get paid every week and 4 times more than I did as a pre-k teacher since I don't have childcare costs of my own... and I have 1/4 of the number of kids in home daycare that I had in the center by myself!

I love toy shopping can't wait for yardsale/fleamarket season!
Blackcat31 11:06 AM 02-27-2014
I must have missed the memo about child care providers making good money. My accountant stifles a laugh every year when I pick up my return.
I live in one of the few states that allows me up to 12 children without an assistant.

If I had even half that, I would not make "good" money.

Having 10-12 kids at approximately $150-170 per week makes a bit of a difference
Laurel 11:21 AM 02-27-2014
I have been thinking about this as I am about to retire in June.

Mostly I like that ours is such an important job in the grand scheme of things. It is rewarding to know that we play a significant role in the happy childhood of many children.

To have a happy childhood is huge.
Play Care 11:28 AM 02-27-2014
I can only have 5 or 6 FT kids and 2 school aged kids. Last year I grossed over 40 grand and this year will probably be closer to 50. I feel that's a perfectly good salary especially since I'm not spending a good chunk of it putting two kids in after school day care or summer care. In my area most people with advanced degrees are making between 50-70 grand, but also are spending a lot of that money on child care, gas, meals out, professional wardrobes, etc.

Now, when my accountant is done, it will look as though my net income is under 10 grand but that's a GOOD thing.
drseuss 11:34 AM 02-27-2014
Maybe I am too hung up on the piddly net number that my accountant comes up with.

I live in a state that allows up to 8 for a state-licensed facility, depending on ages. If they are all under two, max is 4. I have two infants, so with the ratio I am allowed, I can have five more that are two or older.
KidGrind 11:52 AM 02-27-2014
I love when I open my front door for drop off and the DCKs light up with a smile, run in or reach for me.

I love making money.

I love 5:00 PM.
daycare 12:22 PM 02-27-2014
I love that it's mine, all mine...muha ha haha ha..jk

Gotta say the money is good.

BUT the thing that I love the most is to see the kids go off to school and hear about how successful they are after leaving my program.

I know that I am making a difference......................that is what i love.....
butterfly 12:36 PM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I have been thinking about this as I am about to retire in June.

Mostly I like that ours is such an important job in the grand scheme of things. It is rewarding to know that we play a significant role in the happy childhood of many children.

To have a happy childhood is huge.
I love this answer!! This job certainly has it perks (and some days it's draw backs), but it is a job that really matters.
blandino 01:04 PM 02-27-2014
I love that I am my own boss and running a business.

I too, love that I make good money. I put in enough hard work, that I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't reap the rewards.

I love being a part of these kids lives.

I love when we have a great routine/flow, and the kids have that sense of stability in their lives. I love when they can tell me exactly what is the repercussion of an action or what comes next in the schedule. To give them that kind of stability makes me a happy lady.
TwinKristi 01:12 PM 02-27-2014
I love being home for my kids! I live not having to leave for work every day! I love that my kids don't have to go to daycare (or the cost!) and I love that I make a reasonable income when you factor in food program (getting paid to feed my kids all 3 meals almost daily) and not paying for childcare! I only have a few children in my care because I've had 3 of my own and still made quite a bit! Add the meals and childcare savings and I'm doing great!
2grls4us 01:44 PM 02-27-2014
After 9 yrs of trying for a baby we were blessed with a little girl in 2010. I could not handle leaving her with someone everyday while i worked. I am making about the same amount of money staying home and doing daycare. Our other daughter is almost 18 and i've loved being home for her as well.

I can be around children and babies and not have to worry about getting up in the middle of the nights anymore and don't have to worry about paying for their college.

I love teaching them new things and watching them learn and grow.

I like knowing what my child is being taught and exposed to.

I have a good support system at home, with family, friends and church.

Thanks i needed a reminder today..
Familycare71 05:00 AM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I can only have 5 or 6 FT kids and 2 school aged kids. Last year I grossed over 40 grand and this year will probably be closer to 50. I feel that's a perfectly good salary especially since I'm not spending a good chunk of it putting two kids in after school day care or summer care. In my area most people with advanced degrees are making between 50-70 grand, but also are spending a lot of that money on child care, gas, meals out, professional wardrobes, etc.

Now, when my accountant is done, it will look as though my net income is under 10 grand but that's a GOOD thing.
Ummm- want to share how your making that!?! Lol- I gross about $25,000 a year. I'm in upstate too!
daycarediva 05:22 AM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:

Originally Posted by Familycare71:
Ummm- want to share how your making that!?! Lol- I gross about $25,000 a year. I'm in upstate too!
I grossed about 60k this year. I haven't done my taxes yet and didn't total everything.

I am in central NY. Rates are a bit higher here than surrounding areas (unless you go illegal and/or unlicensed).
Play Care 08:15 AM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
I charge on the higher end for my area, but I also offer transportation to "real" preschool as part of my service (if you can't beat'em, join'em ) I've been completely full for the last few years - and I typically get paid regardless of attendance. But a huge help was that I was bumped to tier I reimbursement for the food program. I went from getting maybe just over a hundred a month to almost $500
I had thought it was because my whole area was low income, but apparently just my road?! I don't understand how they came to this because I'm in a development and most of my neighbors are professionals - my very next door neighbor works for the NY Times, we have lawyers, doctors, etc.
Sorry for the ramble but that is how
jaeru08 11:27 AM 02-28-2014
New poster here- Hi everyone!

The smiles & laughter of children (Honestly, isn't that why we all do this? )
Teaching them new skills and concepts (Their light bulb moments, as many of you have agreed with!)

When you can be productive as well as relaxed during nap times
When you can feel satisfied being there for your household, in addition to being there for the kids who learn with you five days a week

And, of course:
Getting paid to act like a kid yourself *when appropriate, of course
_Dana_ 01:24 PM 02-28-2014
(also skipping all the things I love about the children I watch)

After working for children's non-profit orgs, preschool, early childhood development centers, and schools.....I LOVE being my own boss!!! There is something about having control of your own destiny.

I also love that I get to be home and available to my children.

I love that I don't have to pay someone else to watch my children.

My husband has a new work schedule and we get to spend extra time together in the mornings with the kids. I love that I have the flexibility to rearrange the kids schedule so we can just chill, play with the kids and have coffee during that time. If I worked a regular job, we wouldn't see each other for 12+ hours, 5 days a week!

As the new provider in town, I love hearing about how awesome THAT new provider is. They've seen my FB page, read the testimonials, and talked to my DCPs(small town), but don't really know it is me yet.
Kcole1075 03:52 PM 02-28-2014
I love being home. I don't have children but its nice to be here.

I like the money. I make more than I would at any other job I could have right by now.

I love that I can do school even if its only night school. I couldn't make the money I do and be able to go to school.

I love doing things with the kids I know they will remember forever.
Tags:good news, positive, positive experience, positive support
Reply Up