Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fevers From Ear Infections?
DCMomOf3 12:43 PM 10-19-2010
I have the no fever within 24 hours policy but I bend it for ear infections and am wondering if that it stupid on my part. I know the fever is caused by the E.I. and they go away as soon as they get a 2-3 doses of antibitotics. What do you do?
QualiTcare 12:47 PM 10-19-2010
i don't think it's stupid of you to bend it if you know it's an EI and have a doctor's note. if the no fever policy is to protect other kids/yourself from catching something contagious then i don't see why you'd change it now - EI's are not contagious.
Live and Learn 12:51 PM 10-19-2010
I don't bend the rule for ear infections because we THINK that the fever is from an ear infection but we don't KNOW until the fever has run it's course right? The child might have an ear infection AND be coming down with something else. We really won't know for sure until he is all better. I hope your little one is better soon.
BentleysBands 01:40 PM 10-19-2010
i would...tho i also allow fevers...use to not but i do so long as its not from a contagious,serious thing...i will allow for teething,EI's,
marniewon 01:59 PM 10-19-2010
I allow for ear infections, although I don't really advertise it. Although, around here you would think ear infections ARE contagious, as I had 2 out of 3 little ones who had them at the same time!!
missnikki 02:20 PM 10-19-2010
I don't allow them, because their little immune systems are lowered when they are fighting an infection, and I think they are more susceptible to what ever is floating out there. Plus, I am not going to play 'armchair doctor' and set myself up for arguing with parents about what may be causing the fever.
Live and Learn 02:29 PM 10-19-2010
I also don't give medicine for ear infections. Kids take medicine when they are sick. If they are sick then they shouldn't be here. I can't tell you how many times in my early days I allowed a child here who "just has an ear infection"...
Often the fever was an indication of the next contagious bug they were fighting off rather than a lingering fever associated with the ear infection. A previous poster mentioned bending the rules for a "teething fever"....I don't do that either. Google- teething fever mayo clinic- according to them there is no such thing as a fever over 100 from teething. My policy is fever over 100...stay home. better safe than sorry.
DanceMom 03:57 PM 10-19-2010
I dont bend..you have a fever for anything and you are out. I think the minute I were to bend..the fever would turn into something worse than just an ear infection and infect the whole daycare.
momma2girls 04:19 PM 10-19-2010
Originally Posted by DanceMom:
I dont bend..you have a fever for anything and you are out. I think the minute I were to bend..the fever would turn into something worse than just an ear infection and infect the whole daycare.
I totally agree!!
Live and Learn 07:12 PM 10-19-2010
I completely agree with missnikki.
DancingQueen 02:55 AM 10-20-2010
my only problem with EI fevers is that when they have that fever they are generally really cranky still. It almost seems like when the fever is gone they are starting to feel better. I really don't want cranky babies being sent to me. So a fever plus EI = stay home. if it is an EI with no fever - and happy baby.. bring em!
broncomom1973 11:38 AM 10-20-2010
An ear infection is the body's reaction to germs or a virus moving into the ear's membranes and canals. The ear infection itself isn't contagious, but the upper respiratory infection/virus that caused the ear infection is. So, the child can pass along the cold that they have and another child could possibly end up with cold symptoms and even possibly develop their own ear infection.

At my daycare if there is a fever, they aren't allowed period.
Tags:ear infection, fever
Reply Up