Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Doing The Right Thing With Tantrum?
WImom 08:20 AM 01-31-2011
I have an almost 4y old that's been crying for over an hour. All because she was at the writing table and someone was playing with the ponies she was playing with earlier (Was not by them anymore) Then she didn't want to pick up at clean up time so I gave her the job of picking up the books (There are 5 books on the ground)(My rule is if your not picking up I give you a job to do). I told her she can join us once the books are picked up. So far she's missed circle time, art time and now playdoh. I did remind her when she was quiet about the books and then joining us once theywere picked up but that just started the crying again. I assume I'm doing the right thing by going about my day (she is in the room with us so in my view).
kendallina 08:40 AM 01-31-2011
I just did this with a dcg the other day, but she didn't cry for an hour, it lasted maybe 10 minutes. You said you've tried getting her to clean them up and have reminded her that that's all she has to do, so I don't know what else you can do. I think you're handling it ok.

Do you think anything else is going on with her? Does she feel sick? Is she really tired or anything?? Is it normal for her to cry so long? If you think she might also be sick, then I would probably offer to help her as long as she did some of it.
WImom 08:45 AM 01-31-2011
No, I don't think she's sick. She cries anytime she doesn't want to do something or if I don't let her have someone's toy she wants. Normally it doesn't last this long (5 minutes maybe). I'm making lunch now so I did give her her blanket and she's watching a show with the kids. I did tell her she would still need to pick up the books if she wanted to play after nap and that it isn't fair to her friends to make them clean up her mess.
Stacy214 09:40 AM 01-31-2011
I think its all you can do....hopefully she got the clue lol....I have a 2 yr old who behaves this way and talk about stubborn! UGH, so I ended up (when the crying started to grate my nerves) giving him a choice, to stop crying AND pick up or sit in time out until he stopped crying then he could go pick up....idk though a 4 year old knows better and is ridiculous....I have had a couple of these too.

Does she sit in time out and continue to cry this long? And I'm glad she's seeing everybody having fun, can't believe some children.
countrymom 09:41 AM 01-31-2011
sounds fine to me. I think children get their way so much that its like second nature to them now. I just can't believe how spoiled children are and the excuses parents make for their children
Sunny Day 10:10 AM 01-31-2011
As long as I know (well am pretty sure, its hard to KNOW) that the child isn't sick or has something seriously wrong with them--usually you get to know dck enough that you can tell when they're playing you, I completely ignore temper tantrums and I've has some MAJOR tantrum throwers in my daycare! lol. Just read my current thread! Anyway, if they are being so ridiculous that they are disrupting what the rest of us are trying to do, I put them in the their room and tell them that they can come out when they're ready to stop crying and having a fit. Usually it doesn't last too long. Good luck--tantrums are the WORST!
lvt77 10:18 AM 01-31-2011
Originally Posted by WImom:
I have an almost 4y old that's been crying for over an hour. All because she was at the writing table and someone was playing with the ponies she was playing with earlier (Was not by them anymore) Then she didn't want to pick up at clean up time so I gave her the job of picking up the books (There are 5 books on the ground)(My rule is if your not picking up I give you a job to do). I told her she can join us once the books are picked up. So far she's missed circle time, art time and now playdoh. I did remind her when she was quiet about the books and then joining us once theywere picked up but that just started the crying again. I assume I'm doing the right thing by going about my day (she is in the room with us so in my view).
I have the same rule and if they are throwing a fit becuase they are mad about having to be responsible then too bad... I just would do exactly what you are doing.. I think if you give her attention then you will show the kids that her behavior rewards attention..
kendallina 10:22 AM 01-31-2011
Originally Posted by WImom:
No, I don't think she's sick. She cries anytime she doesn't want to do something or if I don't let her have someone's toy she wants. Normally it doesn't last this long (5 minutes maybe). I'm making lunch now so I did give her her blanket and she's watching a show with the kids. I did tell her she would still need to pick up the books if she wanted to play after nap and that it isn't fair to her friends to make them clean up her mess.
Yup, if it doesn't seem that anything else is going on (sick or anything), then you're doing the right thing. She needs to listen and can't play with toys until she's done.
DCMomOf3 10:22 AM 01-31-2011
I have the same rule but my dcg doesn't have a fit, she just acts like she didn't hear and ignores me. Getting her to pay attention and listen is a daily battle. I think I'd rather see a tantrum, at least it shows she "gets" it.
Tags:behavior problems, crying, tantrums
Reply Up