Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice? - Charging a Friend Late Fees
AMR 02:59 PM 12-09-2009
I made the mistake of caring for my friends 3 children at a discounted rate. When we arranged the deal the kids were suppose to be picked up by 4:30 each day. I charge them $150 for all 3 kids, ages 1,3 and 6. The going rate where I am is $200 for infants and $150 per full time over the age of 2.
Anyhow, it didn't take long before their parents weren't showing up until 6:30 so I began charging a late fee. They're upset about that, but oh well. The father takes a lot of vacation days, I've noticed yet he still brings his kids here all day. The mother has been off work for 2 weeks, and yet I've had the kids ALL DAY. Would you be upset? Am I overreacting? Should I not say anything because I'm being paid even though it's a low rate? I feel like as a friend I gave them a deal so they could afford to work, not so they can just relax and enjoy sitting at home without their kids.
jen 03:35 PM 12-09-2009
Noooo...you are very right to feel the way that you do! I would sit down and explain that you are giving them a discounted rate to watch the kids while they are at WORK...if they aren't at work, they should pick up the kids.
momma2girls 03:38 PM 12-09-2009
Maybe you can say something to them. Otherwise change their contract at the beginning of the yr. since they are abusing everything!!! I used to give deals as well, and families abuse and abuse you over it all!!! I have seen it happen many many times over the yrs.!!!!!!
momofboys 05:46 AM 12-10-2009
You are NOT overreacting. have you reminded your friend that you agreed to watch them until 4:30 NOT 6:30? That is a BIG difference!!! And you are giving them a steal of a deal for 3 kids! Stand your ground tell your friend that if they can't pick-up on time they need to give you advance notice & have your approval. You have a life, too!
kiddiecare 05:57 AM 12-10-2009
I started out watching kids for friends and quickly realized that they are the ones that will take advantage of you beacuse you are a friend. I was a sham and they all thought since I didnt have anything better to do (rolling my eyes)that I could watch a few extra kids for next to nothing. If you are willing to give them a discount then outline it to them on thier contract that you are only giving it if they stay within the terms they agreed to. I personaly would not give that big of a discount but then I can only have a certain number of kids in care and wouldnt want to loose out on the money I could make by having their spots with full paying clients. I specificaly made a stricter contract and started charging a late fee because my 'friends' were always late, now years later I honestly RARELY care for kids of my friends, its just not a good situation at all, I still had a friend untill recently continue to ask me to care for her son but didnt want to be treated like a regular client, I finally caved and gave her a deal only to almost be screwed, I say almost because I didn't put up with it and made her pay then told her that IF I ever cared for her son again she would be paying the normal rate. It's been 3 months since she's asked for 'help'. Change thier contract at the new year and make the late fee very steep!
AMR 07:05 AM 12-10-2009
She's usually surprised and irritated to find out her husband has been late picking up the kids. He on the other hand is a worthless piece and if it wasn't for her, I'd tell him to find someone else. He acts as though my time is worth less than his and it's not like I actually work, I just sit here with his kids so what's the big deal (according to him)? He even tried to tell me that I wasn't giving him much of a deal because most daycares would take his after school kid for free because it was only for a few hours. YEAH RIGHT!
mac60 08:37 AM 12-10-2009
I would write up a new contract. I would explain that while you are "friends" it is important to keep the daycare a business relationship, and that they will be held accountable for following the guidelines in the handbook. You can still give them a break in the rates should you want, but beyond that, everything is the same. I agree, most times friends and family don't mix will business.
Unregistered 11:38 AM 12-10-2009
Friends and Family have mixed well with my business for ONE reason. They do not get a discount and they understand I run a business to earn an income just like they do. They bring them to me because they are glad to have someone they know and trust to care for and educate their kids, not because I am giving them a break. Sorry, but everyone who enrolls follows my policies.
Arayas 12:04 PM 12-10-2009
I think that's really the way to do it. In the future, I won't be making the mistake of treating anyone differently just because we're friends.
kitkat 05:17 PM 12-10-2009
Make sure you have a very spelled out contract and make sure to enforce it. I care for my friend's kids. We've had a contract from the very start and we've never had a problem. I also provided care for another friend and if I hadn't had the contract it would be been bad. You didn't mention if you had a contract already. If you don't, get one ASAP and make them return it by a set date or care won't be provided. Also, make sure to explain to your friend that you value her friendship and the contract is to protect both of you. Good luck!
Chickenhauler 11:39 PM 12-10-2009
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Friends and Family have mixed well with my business for ONE reason. They do not get a discount and they understand I run a business to earn an income just like they do. They bring them to me because they are glad to have someone they know and trust to care for and educate their kids, not because I am giving them a break. Sorry, but everyone who enrolls follows my policies.
There is the key....friends, family, neighbors, don't matter who it is, you have to treat it just like any other business transaction with anyone else, because that is what it is.
Unregistered 06:49 AM 12-11-2009
I made the mistake of watching a friends children. Her children were aweful. They thought they had special privledges, ran the house and helped themselves to my fridge and snack drawers. I tried speaking to her about it but she said it was because they felt so comfy with me. Which ya thats great, but we needed boundries during daycare hours. It got worse. She felt I should make them what they wanted for meals and snack. My rule is I make one meal only. If your child doesn't like it, then you are welcome to bring your own. Since I refused to cater to her children it ended up in a fight. After a 12 year friendship, it ended all over meals.
Unregistered 07:10 PM 12-11-2009
No Offense...but it could not have been that good of a friendship if she could not and would not understand that it was only reasonable for her kids to follow your rules. How could you possibly cater to them making different meals for her kids?! That is rediculous! Sorry that happened to you but, I would say if that is all the better she treated you you are better off without her.
gbcc 01:38 PM 12-15-2009
I definately agree which is why I ended the friendship and the child care. You are right, though. She has since been going around town bad mouthing me to everyone so apparently it wasn't a real friendship anyways. Thankfully I have a wonderful reputation for the past 3 years so people see her badmouthing as gossip and a scorned parent that didn't get her own way.
Unregistered 10:33 AM 12-18-2009
You should feel great about watching the kids for the agreed upon time. If they are late, they should pay more, but you should also explain that they need to pick up on time. If it happens continually, let them know you won't be watching the kids anymore. Furthermore, it is not your business what they do while you watch the kids as long as they pick up and drop off at the agreed upon times. If they pay you for 8 hours, it does not matter if they are working or golfing.
Tags:charge, fees, friend, friend's children, late fee, reputation
Reply Up