Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>W-Sitting And Toe Walking: When To Be Concerned
SilverSabre25 08:25 AM 08-03-2011
Two weeks ago, I noticed one of my dcbs (age 3) was W-sitting. I forget...is that related to low muscle tone or something else? And either way, when is it time to be concerned if a child is doing this?

Same question for toe-walking, except that it's another dcb (age 2) who's doing this. He *might* just be doing it because he can, but I'm not sure. Again, at what point it is a concern?
Blackcat31 08:29 AM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Two weeks ago, I noticed one of my dcbs (age 3) was W-sitting. I forget...is that related to low muscle tone or something else? And either way, when is it time to be concerned if a child is doing this?

Same question for toe-walking, except that it's another dcb (age 2) who's doing this. He *might* just be doing it because he can, but I'm not sure. Again, at what point it is a concern?
Sheesh, I hope it isn't a concern because I sit like that.....
childcarebytori 09:08 AM 08-03-2011
I have a niece who is 2 who would ONLY sit w-style. At her 2-year check-up her Pediatrician said her thigh muscles were super soft and to correct her legs into Indian-style. Her first question was actually "These muscles right here are real soft. Does she sit with her legs bent backwards and on the side of her body?"

The doctor said to stop her from sitting like that because it does relate to low muscle tone in the legs.

Hope that helps!
Cat Herder 09:57 AM 08-03-2011
The CDC website has a section devoted to milestones and what signs to look out for.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/index.html/

This is another helpful site...

http://www.behavior-consultant.com/aut-dx-devices.htm

More than likely these sites will put your mind to rest...
jojosmommy 10:22 AM 08-03-2011
I was told that both are concerns ONLY if that is the ONLY way they sit and walk. Occassionals of both are not concerns according to our EI program.
spud912 01:26 PM 08-03-2011
I sat "W style" my whole life. I remember adults trying to correct me all the time when I was a child. I also used to lay down with my legs in a W but it's much more of a challenge to do that these days. To this day I sit with one of my legs in the W shape, but I usually not both.
Kaddidle Care 01:35 PM 08-03-2011
My husband's cousin sat in that "w" style and her mother was told by the pediatrician to discourage it. The child was born breech and she was basically head to knees, straight legged in the womb. I would imagine it encourages the hips to turn in and knock knees.

Good cure would be roller skating or ballet when the child gets older.

The tip-toe walking can be many things - not always autism. I know a boy that tip toes while he's having a siezure. His siezure is not Grand Mal - but more of a shudder and walking on tip toes. It was kind of hard to detect. It could also be that the achiles tendon is short. I'd be concerned about this if the child is totally unable to put his/her heels down.
youretooloud 01:40 PM 08-03-2011
I always discourage W sitting. It's not always a sign of developmental problems, but it could be. It could mean that the core muscles are weak and need to be strengthened. Those kids tend to have more balance issues.

These kids also often grow up to have hip pain as adults.

http://physical-therapy.advanceweb.c...ild-w-sit.aspx
harperluu 04:30 PM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
My husband's cousin sat in that "w" style and her mother was told by the pediatrician to discourage it. The child was born breech and she was basically head to knees, straight legged in the womb. I would imagine it encourages the hips to turn in and knock knees.

Good cure would be roller skating or ballet when the child gets older.

The tip-toe walking can be many things - not always autism. I know a boy that tip toes while he's having a siezure. His siezure is not Grand Mal - but more of a shudder and walking on tip toes. It was kind of hard to detect. It could also be that the achiles tendon is short. I'd be concerned about this if the child is totally unable to put his/her heels down.
Same here with both my daughters being born breech, folded over feet by ears. Not much room in my short torso I guess. We were told excessive "w" sitting would result in limited flexibility and knocked knees, and to discourage it.

Tip-toe walking is a sign of autism when it is combined with many other signs and symptoms of autism. There are also some sensory disorders that include toe-walking because of the increased sensory stimulation it provides to walk that way. It can also be a sign of a toddler experiencing movement in a different way. If they like it, they may fixate on it.
spud912 04:36 PM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
Those kids tend to have more balance issues.
Oh man, that could be the reason for my extreme clumsiness!!

No wonder why I could never get through ballet classes as a child!
Tags:developmental delay, developmental issues, milestones
Reply Up